Flat Soda's Any solution?

bizzy2010

What is the solution for this by the cruise industry? i pay $118 to be given canned soda which 50% time is flat, whether i ask them to open a new can or not. And often i have to ask them this, since we just drink coke zero... After day one, i requested it every time. But, it seems maybe that too much ship movement or the cans are going flat even before opening? It just doesn't taste the same as the can's from the store, and when i say taste.I mean carbonation

What is the solution for this by the cruise industry? i pay $118 to be given canned soda which 50% time is flat, whether i ask them to open a new can or not. And often i have to ask them this, since we just drink coke zero... After day one, i requested it every time. But, it seems maybe that too much ship movement or the cans are going flat even before opening? It just doesn't taste the same as the can's from the store, and when i say taste.I mean carbonation

I've never had this problem. If it's an ongoing problem, I would bring my own...buy more in port if you drink a lot.

Where did you pay $118 for soda?

As suggested the easiest solution would to bring your own. The logistics of following the chain of custody backwards to the filler of the product will take you a lot of time. It's pretty unusual for canned sodas to lose their carbonation in the short time (a few days to as long as a month) between filling and end user consumption. From personal experience the motion of an ocean liner is less than that of the forklifts that move the pallets of sodas at multiple times during the cans journey and the trucks that move the cans on streets and highways. It must not be an significant issue for most people though or we would have read about on this forum before now.

The usual reason for canned soda to go flat is that there is too much detergent or not enough rinse aid in the glass washer.

Try the soda directly from the can with a straw and then if it is fizzy you will know the reason.

They are flat because the can is room temperature or even warm in some cases, pour a warm soda over ice and you end up with a flat watered down drink sadly. They aren't kept cold, just sitting out. Solution would be to bring your own soda and chill it. Or maybe ask a bartender to put a can on ice and you will be back for it in 5-10 minutes- maybe they would do that. I'm just used to my flat, watered down sodas on the ship.

Canning is one of the best ways to retain CO2, so if the sodas are flat it is coming from the source under carbonated. The motion of the ship wouldn't matter as the distribution trucks and delivery trucks are likely far more bouncy.

The soda card entitles us to a glass of soda each time. Problem is the can is opened and some poured out. Then the can sits open until the next "glass of soda" is needed. Was so bad on our Freedom trip last month that by the end of the first day I was ready to do some major complaining and getting the bottomless bubbles cancelled. I do not, and will not, drink a flat soda. Kept asking for a new can to be opened. When I saw the bartender just pour from an already opened can I told them to stop and if I couldn't get a fresh can opened to let me know. Best thing is I started getting my sodas from the same bar and they took care of me. I then took care of them properly.

They are flat because the can is room temperature or even warm in some cases, pour a warm soda over ice and you end up with a flat watered down drink sadly. They aren't kept cold, just sitting out. Solution would be to bring your own soda and chill it. Or maybe ask a bartender to put a can on ice and you will be back for it in 5-10 minutes- maybe they would do that. I'm just used to my flat, watered down sodas on the ship.

The majority of the shelf life for canned sodas is in a non-refrigerated state. Canning, warehouse, transport vehicle, grocery store shelves....all non refrigerated. I know for a fact that Carnival stores their sodas in the same walk-in refrigerator with their beer and wine. So the soda is at least held in a refrigerator during some of its life on the ship. Not convinced that the soda not being refrigerated is the cause for lack of carbonation.

The majority of the shelf life for canned sodas is in a non-refrigerated state. Canning, warehouse, transport vehicle, grocery store shelves....all non refrigerated. I know for a fact that Carnival stores their sodas in the same walk-in refrigerator with their beer and wine. So the soda is at least held in a refrigerator during some of its life on the ship. Not convinced that the soda not being refrigerated is the cause for lack of carbonation.

I didn't say it loses its carbonation from not being stored in a fridge. It is flat because they are warm and poured over ice. The cans are stacked on the bar- they get warm. Go take a warm soda and pour it over ice and see how fizzy it is. The ice all melts and you end up with a flat, watered down soda. They may store them in a fridge, but once they take them out they are not kept cold out at the bars. They are just stacked on the counter.

I didn't say it loses its carbonation from not being stored in a fridge. It is flat because they are warm and poured over ice. The cans are stacked on the bar- they get warm. Go take a warm soda and pour it over ice and see how fizzy it is. The ice all melts and you end up with a flat, watered down soda. They may store them in a fridge, but once they take them out they are not kept cold out at the bars. They are just stacked on the counter.

I live in Florida , store my soda cases in garage

I always poor warm soda over ice and have no issues

Sodas stored at warm temps for long period of time can be a issue.

WE always bring our own, Noever a issue and always ice cold. Not having to pour a warm soda over cold ice and water down my drinks. No less the savings of 4 people. The $$ we saved from soda cards we buy FTTF and take our suitcase full of drinks direct to room and chill on ice. We also bring 20oz bottles.

Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem, though it matters how you pour, too agressive and your caronation is gone. Tilt the glass and pour like you would a beer and you're good to go.

Why don't they just hand you a chilled unopened can if you order a soda? And if you want a glass you could get one?

When you purchase the bottomless bubbles sticker you are not entitled to a whole can. Only about 8 ounces although it says it is poured into a 16 oz glass the glass is filled to the top with ice.

If you don't get the bottomless bubbles sticker and buy a soda you do get the whole can with a glass of ice.

Haven't seen too many chilled cans of soda on a ship.

Bill

When you purchase the bottomless bubbles sticker you are not entitled to a whole can. Only about 8 ounces although it says it is poured into a 16 oz glass the glass is filled to the top with ice.

If you don't get the bottomless bubbles sticker and buy a soda you do get the whole can with a glass of ice.

Haven't seen too many chilled cans of soda on a ship.

Bill

Ah, so this is just a bottomless bubbles issue. Gotcha.

I've never had this problem. If it's an ongoing problem, I would bring my own...buy more in port if you drink a lot.

Where did you pay $118 for soda?

I'm assuming he bought 2 bottomless bubbles stickers for himself and someone else.

I totally agree about the flat sodas here. I can't believe others don't notice how flat they are on the ship. My kids even say so but they buy the card every cruise. I don't drink them at home but will indulge when I am out occasionally. They are so awful on the cruise after poured over ice, I won't even bother buying one. I don't bring them with me to the ship as I don't feel like carrying them around until my room is ready. Since I am platinum this cruise, I can go straight to my room and drop my bag off, so I will be bringing a 6 pack of small bottles with me. YEA!

They are flat because the can is room temperature or even warm in some cases, pour a warm soda over ice and you end up with a flat watered down drink sadly.

I agree with this.

You should always chill carbonated drinks before pouring them on ice.

The poster from FL who keeps them in his garage probably doesn't know the difference...

The answer is chemistry!!!

As the temperature of a liquid decreases, the solubility of a gas increases.

As the temperature of a liquid increases, the solubility of a gas decreases.

When a warm soda is opened, the closed system is broken and the dissolved gas immediately bubbles out of the liquid soda and into the air. The resulting liquid is "flat". That is why you should always chill soda before you open it.

Why can't they just switch to fountains. I am a Diet Coke fanatic, but can only drink it from a fountain. ( 7-11 is my Best Friend ):rolleyes:

I have not cruised on RCCL, however, I have seen the Freestyle machines they have, where you buy something similar to the Bottomless Bubbles program, and the special cup, and just place the cup on the grate/grill and choose from many different sodas. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Come on Carnival, get with the TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad:

The answer is chemistry!!!

As the temperature of a liquid decreases, the solubility of a gas increases.

As the temperature of a liquid increases, the solubility of a gas decreases.

When a warm soda is opened, the closed system is broken and the dissolved gas immediately bubbles out of the liquid soda and into the air. The resulting liquid is "flat". That is why you should always chill soda before you open it.

I knew I should have paid attention in high school!

I agree with this.

You should always chill carbonated drinks before pouring them on ice.

The poster from FL who keeps them in his garage probably doesn't know the difference...

LOL perhaps i dont know the difference. I confess I am am by know means a soda connoisseur. just a drinker of it.

many resturants / waterfront places down in florida , serve you a can of coke with a glass of ice..

tastes great for me ... also i have never seen a place on frigge, cool and comsume on a can... perhaps it is better...

oh also for the soda connoissuer/ chemists....

"As for pouring the soda over ice causing it to bubble particularly hard, that is partly the result of air stirred into the soda as it tumbles over the ice cubes and partly the result of adding impurities to the soda as the soda washes over the rough and impure surfaces of the ice. The air and impurities both nucleate carbon dioxide bubbles—providing the initial impetus for those bubbles to form and grow. Washing the ice to smooth its surfaces and remove impurities apparently reduces the bubbling when you then pour soda of it.""

me I will just pour it over ice and enjoy

to ea thier own

Flat before opening, you can't be serious.

We live in central CA and store our sodas in our laundry room...my sodas are never flat when I pour them over ice either.

It's really a matter of taste. The science does not lie and pouring warm soda over ice will definitely make it flatter than if it was cold. That doesn't mean it is completely flat but people that are used to it being fully carbonated will notice it. I have certainly noticed it. I notice it on airplanes all the time also.

The cure is simple, pour out some of the coke and fill with rum. It will be flat but you won't care.

Archived