NCL Breakaway Mini Suite

Hi,

My DH and I will be sailing on the Breakaway 8/10/14. We are booked in a minisuite on Deck 10. I would appreciate any information on the cabin if possible. We are looking forward to our first experience- sailing out of NY is a big plus for us-we are fans of celebrity so this will be a new venture.

Thanks in advance for the responses!

From what I heard, the mini-suite is nothing more than a bigger balcony room. I believe the bathroom is larger but the balcony is the same size, very small. I am booked in a mini-suite for this October with my wife and two children in the room but if it is just you and your husband, I would consider downgrading to a balcony and put the extra money towards excursions. It probably is a couple hundred dollars cheaper. There are no perks associated with this category room.

From what I heard, the mini-suite is nothing more than a bigger balcony room. I believe the bathroom is larger but the balcony is the same size, very small. I am booked in a mini-suite for this October with my wife and two children in the room but if it is just you and your husband, I would consider downgrading to a balcony and put the extra money towards excursions. It probably is a couple hundred dollars cheaper. There are no perks associated with this category room.

We are fussy about our cabins. Would not do well in a smaller cabin. We are used to cabins over 200 square feet

Have been to Bermuda many times so we don't do shore excursions. Just enjoy the beach. Not much sight seeing IMO

Ok, maybe I explained that wrong, sometimes its hard to get something across when typing it out. From reading the Breakaway threads, it doesn't seem like a mini-suite is worth the extra money. There is only a 40 sq ft difference between a mini suite and a balcony but I believe a couple hundred dollars price difference. Seems like most of that sq footage is in the bathroom. If you don't mind paying the extra money for 40 sq ft, then I am sure you will love the mini-suite. Had I known this info before I booked the cabin, I would have chosen a balcony. Either way you will have fun!!!

mini-suite cabin is 269 sq ft

balcony is 226 sq ft

Edited by Mikeyz30

I am in a balcony cabin in Sept,but when I saw the huge shower with multiple showerheads in the mini suite i was tempted to upgrade...and still might....

Some of the minis have a bathtub and not the fancy shower. Supposedly the Family minis have the tubs.

I don't know about the Breakaway, but I do know on the Dawn the Mini-Suite was noticably larger than a standard balcony and the bathroom had a tub/shower. We only paid $40 per person more and it was a no brainer.

We are doing a Mini on the Gem next month. We got a good price, a balcony now cost more than our mini-suite.

Jon

Hi,

My DH and I will be sailing on the Breakaway 8/10/14. We are booked in a minisuite on Deck 10. I would appreciate any information on the cabin if possible. We are looking forward to our first experience- sailing out of NY is a big plus for us-we are fans of celebrity so this will be a new venture.

Thanks in advance for the responses!

From what I've found:

MB mini suites are around 204 sq. ft. for the room and 32 sq. ft. balcony

M6 mini suites are around 204 sq. ft. for the room and 116 sq. ft. balcony

M1 aft mini suites are around 312 sq. ft for the room and 65 sq. ft. balcony

B6 Balcony are around 172 sq. ft. for the room and 32 sq. ft. balcony

B1 Aft Balcony depends on what deck:

Deck 11 = 172 sq. ft. for the room and 32 sq. ft. balcony

Deck 12 = 175 sq. ft. for the room and 140 sq. ft. balcony

Deck 13 = 175 sq. ft. for the room and 75 sq. ft. balcony

Deck 14 = 176 sq. ft. for the room and 85 sq. ft. balcony

Ok, maybe I explained that wrong, sometimes its hard to get something across when typing it out. From reading the Breakaway threads, it doesn't seem like a mini-suite is worth the extra money. There is only a 40 sq ft difference between a mini suite and a balcony but I believe a couple hundred dollars price difference. Seems like most of that sq footage is in the bathroom. If you don't mind paying the extra money for 40 sq ft, then I am sure you will love the mini-suite. Had I known this info before I booked the cabin, I would have chosen a balcony. Either way you will have fun!!!

mini-suite cabin is 269 sq ft

balcony is 226 sq ft

The size with NCL includes balcony Balcony cabins are abt 170 square feet. IMO small . Also if you are over 50 and join aarp, you get a 10% discount from NCL. Well worth joining AARP

I am booked in a MA category Mini Suite on deck 11. I'll be posting pictures of my cabin when I get back. Yes the balcony is small, but oh well. I am looking forward to the huge shower with multiple showerheads!!

Here is a video tour of a mini suite on the Breakaway.

and a different video

I had a mini on Deck 11 on the TA. Smallest mini I've ever had. There is little to no difference in size from a mini to a balcony. I went and saw a balcony cabin of another passenger.

The bathroom is large (double sink) and glass enclosed shower head with multiple sprays. That was great.

The balcony is TINY. At 5'3 I could not stretch out facing the water. It was ridiculous. My husband had to put his chair in the room and sit thru the sliding door if he wanted to face forward.

So, if you enjoy a luxury bathroom, go for it. Personally, a large bathroom or a few hundred bucks to spend on board - I'd go for the cash. As the other poster said, there are no perks associated with a mini. Your choice. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I had a mini on Deck 11 on the TA. Smallest mini I've ever had. There is little to no difference in size from a mini to a balcony. I went and saw a balcony cabin of another passenger.

The bathroom is large (double sink) and glass enclosed shower head with multiple sprays. That was great.

The balcony is TINY. At 5'3 I could not stretch out facing the water. It was ridiculous. My husband had to put his chair in the room and sit thru the sliding door if he wanted to face forward.

So, if you enjoy a luxury bathroom, go for it. Personally, a large bathroom or a few hundred bucks to spend on board - I'd go for the cash. As the other poster said, there are no perks associated with a mini. Your choice. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Maybe I should sail on the summit again and forget the breakaway.

Might be a good idea. The reviews so far seem to be a disaster for the Breakaway.

I have time to cancel the booking and book the Summit. I will wait. We loved the summit, have been on her twice. Once to Bermuda and another time the Southern Caribbean. We had a Celebrity Suite, which is like an apartment- and a Sky Suite- which was also nice.

A little spoiled by Celebrity- so I hope that this ship doesn't let us down- If Celebrity offers the special with free beverage packages for that August 2014 cruise, (it isn't offered yet) we might change.

I wanted a new experience and thought that NCL Breakaway would be a good option.

Thanks

I know the GF would enjoy the Bathroom but I would be like your husband on the balcony. WHat a dissapointment:confused:

Why not go with a full suite on the Breakaway. If you are used to Suites on Celebrity, the Breakaway Suites would be closer to the size you are looking for.

Happy Planning. :)

It is all about the bottom line. The real suites on the Breakaway seem expensive. But, if the price comes down, we might want to switch.

Thanks- we enjoy the planning process!

• 3 months later...

Hi! We are planning a last minute trip to Bermuda and can't decide if we should go on the Summit or the Breakaway. My husband and I do not like crowds, aren't into slides or rock climbing walls. We're also casual people who don't like to dress up. Any help deciding would be most appreciated. Are there activities on the Summit?

Thanks so much!

From what I've found:

MB mini suites are around 204 sq. ft. for the room and 32 sq. ft. balcony

M6 mini suites are around 204 sq. ft. for the room and 116 sq. ft. balcony

M1 aft mini suites are around 312 sq. ft for the room and 65 sq. ft. balcony

B6 Balcony are around 172 sq. ft. for the room and 32 sq. ft. balcony

B1 Aft Balcony depends on what deck:

Deck 11 = 172 sq. ft. for the room and 32 sq. ft. balcony

Deck 12 = 175 sq. ft. for the room and 140 sq. ft. balcony

Deck 13 = 175 sq. ft. for the room and 75 sq. ft. balcony

Deck 14 = 176 sq. ft. for the room and 85 sq. ft. balcony

Where did you find these numbers? I saw a chart that someone else posted showing the largest B1 balcony's were deck 9 then 12,11,10,13,14. I just booked a B1 on deck 11 so hoping the balcony is larger than 32sqf.

Hi! We are planning a last minute trip to Bermuda and can't decide if we should go on the Summit or the Breakaway. My husband and I do not like crowds, aren't into slides or rock climbing walls. We're also casual people who don't like to dress up. Any help deciding would be most appreciated. Are there activities on the Summit?

Thanks so much!

Breakaway all the way!

There will be crowds on both ships, its high season, schools are still out.

I was on the Summit last summer and dressing up and making a set dinner time was not my style.

The Summit is an older ship and might be cheaper but the Breakaway has sooo much more to offer.

I was just on the Breakaway and I've already booked it for Oct. & next April.

Freestyle is the way to go with NCL.

Thanks so much!

Just getting off the Summit this morning. Talked to many people in Bermuda who sailed on Breakaway. We have trip planned for Breakaway next year, but the passengers who were on Breakaway had too many negatives to say about the ship. We are cancelling our Breakaway reservation and will go again on the Summit.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Just getting off the Summit this morning. Talked to many people in Bermuda who sailed on Breakaway. We have trip planned for Breakaway next year, but the passengers who were on Breakaway had too many negatives to say about the ship. We are cancelling our Breakaway reservation and will go again on the Summit.

If you were a first time Summit cruiser, and you picked through the reviews and comments for Summit, I'm sure you could find a whole list of negatives. Would you then cancel your Summit reservation and perhaps book Breakaway instead? Seems not a good way to me to base a decision on a cruise. You apparently had a good experience on the Summit, despite the negative comments I am sure are out there. I'd rather maybe try something new and make up my own mind.

Just curious about what they said about the Breakaway. We went on the Epic in the fall of their first season and I remember hearing lots of negatives about it, especially the bathrooms. Freestyle cruising is not for everyone and these cabins/balconies are small but I'm really looking forward to our cruise on the Breakaway next month. The negatives I've read about are valid points but nothing that will bother my dh & I. We like traditional cruising but we also like freestyle. I think there's pros & cons to different ships & cruise lines but we know what's a deal breaker for us. For me it's worth it to try something different but that's not for everyone.

• 1 year later...