Heads up for those considering Barbie Premium Experience

sharktums

Hi there,

I wanted to give you some information on the Royal Caribbean Barbie Premium Experience as it's pretty new and I didn't find much information on it prior to booking our five night on the Jewel of the Seas last week.

First off, it sounds great online and it better for $349. We specifically booked this cruise as a reward for our daughter as it was long enough to have the full experience (under five night cruises don't get the whole package but pay a discounted price). We are Diamond level cruisers with plenty of experience under our belts. Even our six year old qualifies on her own as a Diamond.

Upon getting to our stateroom there was no in-room decoration as was supposed to be there. We didn't worry too much as we know sometimes they get busy or behind. By dinner time though with nothing mentioned or put up we checked at guest relations. The first person we spoke to had no clue what I was even talking about and went to get a supervisor who told him it would be done soon, no worries.

After dinner, still nothing. Waited till the next day and went back to GR. This time I was told that they weren't doing it on the ship. I showed them the paper that says they were and that I had already paid the $349. They said again they would check and get back to me. Later on I had a message on my phone that because of lack of signups (less than five on the ship) they would not be doing the program.

This was pretty heartbreaking for my daughter who had packed specific things the website said to bring for the fashion show and tea party!!! It was also unacceptable that there was no notice and they wouldn't have told us anything had I not brought it up? Especially when we had paid!

After another day they ended up decorating the room to 'try and make things right', but my daughter was pretty upset by cancelling all of the other activities. The room decor was nice and totally RCCL/Barbie Exclusive. Not cookie cutter stuff which was nice.

We're really torn now as she wants to do this experience and we'll be on the Allure in October, but I don't want to sign up again only to have it cancelled and make her sad! I know Allure should have more kids, but I wonder what their true cutoff is to do the program?

Anyways, here's a link to what it should be: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/statichtmlpage.do?pagename=barbie

I'm here if you have any other questions!

There was also some disappointment with Adventure Ocean on this cruise, but that's for another time!

Its just to much money impo for most families, and they have nothing for boys. So your really limited to who will do it.

I think a price point under $159 with one event, a huge gift basket, and roo. Decor wud sell better.

We wanted to do it for our daughter but it was not offered on our trip.

Oh Sad! I would have been disappointed, too! I really would rebook it and not tell DD. What a fun surprise if it does happen.

For us, it's just out of the range of what we are willing to pay for that sort of thing. I agree with PP that $159 would sell more.

• 5 months later...
Its just to much money impo for most families, and they have nothing for boys. So your really limited to who will do it.

I think a price point under $159 with one event, a huge gift basket, and roo. Decor wud sell better.

We wanted to do it for our daughter but it was not offered on our trip.

Here is Gender Discrimination in action. If you have something for Girls then have something for Boys too. It would be totally unfair if Sister gets her Barbie Decorations and Brother get's nothing. It would be unfair if Sister went to the Fashion Show and Tea Party and nothing for Brother.

Heck why not have something for Boys. You would get more money this way.

Here is Gender Discrimination in action. If you have something for Girls then have something for Boys too. It would be totally unfair if Sister gets her Barbie Decorations and Brother get's nothing. It would be unfair if Sister went to the Fashion Show and Tea Party and nothing for Brother.

Heck why not have something for Boys. You would get more money this way.

The boys can participate in the Barbie experience. I see no discrimination here.

Still, I feel bad for your daughter. Did they at least give you a refund?

We had a good experience with Barbie...sorry to hear about yours. We did not have the fashion show as there was a "glitch" but we received an OBC for the inconvenience. I think Royal tired hard to make it fun for the girls. Our issue was our 10 yr old still enjoys Barbie and one mother was very rude about her being such a baby and not grown up...I WANT her to stay a little girl as long as she can. Our world is on a fast track and she will be on board that soon enough.

The Barbie experience is girls only:

"The Barbie Premium Experience, only on Royal Caribbean, brings aboard the fab-tastic style of the world's most famous fashion doll! Girls age 4 to 11 set sail on a Barbie dream cruise complete with fun, fashion and runway moments. Make lifelong memories and take to the waves in true Barbie style!"

Yes it would be great to see several activities (for both boys and girls) on ship...all ships and not just select ones. I love the Penguins more than the kids!!!!

Sandy Toes, I'm appalled that some other mother would make rude comments about your daughter participating in the Barbie thing. I would have told her to MYOB and stay away from us. But I do believe that what goes around comes around, so maybe she'll find herself stuck with a chain smoker on the next balcony, or being berated for dressing inappropriately on formal night, or not able to get a place by the pool because the chair hogs are out in force.