Odd question about beds

Tralfie

So I'm going on my first cruise in March, and I'm intrigued by something: many rooms say "two twins, can convert to a queen" or however they prhase it. Now, I'm assuming this just means they basically push two beds together.

Here's my question, and maybe it's dumb: Do you have to worry about the beds sliding apart? LOL. When I was a kid and we'd visit relatives and push beds togethuer, you never wanted to get stuck "sleeping in the crack." Do they use a pillow-top sort of thing to make it feel like one bed?

Strange question, I know. I suspect I'll have many more before I actually sale in 290 days... not that I'm counting...

Tralfie/Richard

Here's my question, and maybe it's dumb: Do you have to worry about the beds sliding apart? LOL. When I was a kid and we'd visit relatives and push beds togethuer, you never wanted to get stuck "sleeping in the crack." Do they use a pillow-top sort of thing to make it feel like one bed?

Not sure what they use, but my wife and I didn't fall into the crack between the beds....

I don't know how they do it either but no problem with sliding beds. You can see the crack in the middle but it isn't an issue. No sagging in the middle either so you won't feel like you're lying right on the edge of the bed when you're in the middle. Very nice beds.

Feels just like a real queen. There is a "gap filler" they put between the beds to make two feel just like one

Right, it seemed like a regular bed, I couldn't tell it was two pushed together. We did ask for a foam topper so that may have helped as well. In fact on our Dawn minisuite the size of the bed seemed more like a king than a queen to me (I have a king bed at home).

Feels just like a real queen. There is a "gap filler" they put between the beds to make two feel just like one

I'm not sure if they use it on NCL, but some lines also use a little clip that holds the closer legs together, so they don't slide apart. But I agree...you can't feel the break with the filler there.

DML

Hope this isn't hijacking the thread but I have the reverse question.

It seems that all the Haven access suites have King or Queen and make no mention that they can be converted to twin beds. Does anyone know if that is true - that they do not convert?

CJ

It seems that all the Haven access suites have King or Queen and make no mention that they can be converted to twin beds. Does anyone know if that is true - that they do not convert?

My understanding is that the beds in a suite do not break apart. They are a true King/Queen.

CJ

If it doesn't say that the beds can be separated (or joined), they most likely won't. We have cruised in Haven suites and aft cabins on several ships. They were not able to separate the beds. Twice we have tried to have them switch the beds to 2 twins and were told it was not possible. Consequently, we had to switch to a 2-bedroom suite. Maybe that is what they were hoping to happen. Hmmm....

My understanding is that the beds in a suite do not break apart. They are a true King/Queen.

Thank you for the info. That's what I was afraid you would say. I've been thinking about booking a suite because I've been told the service in suite cabins is really super. I usually travel with my best friend or my sister and we sure would prefer to have our own beds.

CJ

Thank you for the info. That's what I was afraid you would say. I've been thinking about booking a suite because I've been told the service in suite cabins is really super. I usually travel with my best friend or my sister and we sure would prefer to have our own beds.

CJ

Sounds like my girls. One tosses and turns, and her sister prefers not to share a bed with her. By comparison, my best friend and I can share a bed easily and not annoy each other.

DML

I believe that some suites have a sofa bed couch. But then you'd have to figure out who gets the bed and who gets the couch.

On our first cruise, I think the bed wasn't put together properly because there was a crack and the beds did come apart. The boat was rocking like crazy due to a couple of hurricanes in the area so maybe that also added to the beds sliding apart. Since it was our first cruise, we didn't know any better and we really don't complain much anyway. All the other cruises we've been on, we didn't have the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Problem maybe solved by using a Queen bottom fitted sheet that would

keep both beds together. If they use a Twin bottom fitted sheet then

separation could happen if they just simply slide both beds together.

Then on the other hand if the surf is up and you are encountering high

seas then maybe it would be best to put the mattresses on the floor LOL !

Further issues with this problem just call the cabin steward.

I am sure they have a solution and this is not a first time problem.

And if it is then they better get familiar with solving it !

Problem maybe solved by using a Queen bottom fitted sheet that would

keep both beds together. If they use a Twin bottom fitted sheet then

separation could happen if they just simply slide both beds together.

Then on the other hand if the surf is up and you are encountering high

seas then maybe it would be best to put the mattresses on the floor LOL !

Well, that's why they use the queen sheet...and why some lines also use the clip on the inner bed legs, to hold them together. But not all lines/ships do that.

DML

CJ

Yes, I had a king bed in an owners suite on the Dawn. I don't think that it could be separated. The bed was huge.

We have a queen at home.

never had a problem with the beds separating, however IMO Carnival does a better job at making it feel like a single bed than does NCL. Not sure what they do differently, but I've enjoyed the Carnival beds a bit better than NCL.

Archived