Solo Cruiser....Dining

Luvsprincess

You have the same options as any other passenger.

There are arguments for each dining choice.

With TD, you are not arriving alone and meeting strangers each evening.

With AD, you may meeting people and want to eat with them one or more evenings.

I sailed solo on my first Princess cruise and chose late dining, and requested a large table. Well, I ended up at a table for 8, but only two others showed up all week. They were a nice couple, around my parents age; but the Japanese couple and Russian trio (I asked) never showed the entire week :( I thought maybe they just decided to skip the first night, but nope :rolleyes:

I would have requested to change, but the couple at the table were super nice and sweet and I would have felt guilty asking to change after a couple nights.

For my next Princess cruise I'm thinking of just doing anytime dining and requesting to sit with others, so I don't end up at a mostly empty table again.

I Have been doing solo cruises for the last couple of years and did set time seating, but the last several cruises I found did not work out. Switched to anytime and found such nice different people to sit with and sat by my self once or twice. It is nice to be able to eat when you want too.

I would suggest doing anytime dining. I travel with my husband but he never gets up early enough to eat breakfast in the dining room. I'm an early riser and love to have a leisurely breakfast in the dining room. I go by myself and just request to be seated at a large table. I have met the nicest people! I have never felt uncomfortable and have really enjoyed some lovely conversations. I think you would meet more people with anytime rather than traditional.

I'm a solo cruiser and I always do anytime dining. I always sit by myself. I don't want to sit with a bunch of strangers I have nothing in common with and don't want to try and engage in idle chit chat.

I would never tell you what you should do! but for me anytime works.

I always ask to share. I like that I meet new people-more than I would meet if I was at the same table every night. and I like going when I want. there have been some dinners I couldn't wait to finish and get away (heck, I once skipped desert!) but was grateful I didn't have to spend a week with them! I also like to go to the buffet or grill at times and don't have to feel guilty about ditching tablemates.

I've also spoken with many that love traditional. you know what (and who) you're getting.

I cannot say about anytime dining, but on more than one occasion, we had a solo cruiser, and we were normally at a table for 6 or 8, and had a great time together. In fact, the solo cruiser went with us on one of our tours, and we had a great time.

I Have been doing solo cruises for the last couple of years and did set time seating, but the last several cruises I found did not work out. Switched to anytime and found such nice different people to sit with and sat by my self once or twice. It is nice to be able to eat when you want too.

i was set for traditional late seating but just changed to anytime. This way I can eat where ever I want (specialty or Horizon) and not leave tablemates waiting if I decide to eat somewhere else. Thanks for helping me decide. :)

I think it's a toss up depending on what you like to do. Personally when sailing solo, I would prefer not to have to reintroduce myself to a new group of people every night who may or may not want a "spare tire" along for the ride and who might make my dinner experience less than pleasurable. If I found that in traditional dining, I could always asked to be moved to another table (and once the Matre'd has a feel for the room, I'd probably end up with a more desireable group).

That being said, sometimes a table for one in Anytime Dining sounds great. But I wouldn't want to be meeting a new group of people every night.

I think it's a toss up depending on what you like to do. Personally when sailing solo, I would prefer not to have to reintroduce myself to a new group of people every night who may or may not want a "spare tire" along for the ride and who might make my dinner experience less than pleasurable. If I found that in traditional dining, I could always asked to be moved to another table (and once the Matre'd has a feel for the room, I'd probably end up with a more desireable group).

That being said, sometimes a table for one in Anytime Dining sounds great. But I wouldn't want to be meeting a new group of people every night.

I completely agree with everything you've said. As an introvert, I'm nervous the first night of TD (it's like the first day of class!); doing it night after night in Anytime is my idea of Groundhog-Day torture! And I never once met anyone in Anytime who was in the least interested in even saying hello outside the dining room, much less going on tours, etc. Whereas in TD, acquaintanceships definitely develop after a day or two. And the one time I did have an unpleasant table, the maitre d' couldn't do enough, squeezing me in with my trivia team, but also saying he had another table in mind where he thought I'd be happy.

So I go for TD. And I bring a book tucked into my evening bag, just in case the rest of the table has decided for whatever reason not to show up!

I completely agree with everything you've said. As an introvert, I'm nervous the first night of TD (it's like the first day of class!); doing it night after night in Anytime is my idea of Groundhog-Day torture! And I never once met anyone in Anytime who was in the least interested in even saying hello outside the dining room, much less going on tours, etc. Whereas in TD, acquaintanceships definitely develop after a day or two. And the one time I did have an unpleasant table, the maitre d' couldn't do enough, squeezing me in with my trivia team, but also saying he had another table in mind where he thought I'd be happy.

So I go for TD. And I bring a book tucked into my evening bag, just in case the rest of the table has decided for whatever reason not to show up!

I always choose traditional. Very important reason is that I like the same waiters they get to know my likes and dislikes so really they become your dining shipboard friends.Also I do my 'Anytime ' dining at breakfast and luncheon times.At dinner I don't want to explain where I come from and all the first time chat it makes me feel like a parrot:D.Its enough for me earlier in the day.In the evening I like to relax.

If I am placed with a table of boring folks I ask to change.Although elderly I still like an amusing bunch to sit with even a bit eccentric like me.;)

My partner Sally went on her first cruise as a solo passenger. She chose fixed, traditional dining as it gave her chance to chat to & get to know the same people each night.

I say it was the best thing she ever did, as she met the most wonderful people.

If you haven't worked it out yet........she also met me. Since then we have cruised regularly as a couple.

Pete

I'm more the introvert type myself, but learned how to play an extrovert. Whatever insecurities I might have disappear when I realize that I'll never see these people again so I might as well be super chatty. It works so well. :D

I've done traditional dining all 15 times. If I don't like my table it is easy to move. The only bad tables are the solo tables. Who wants to dine solo on a cruise ? Not ME !

The one time that I've cruised solo so far, I did fixed seating at a large table, and spent the whole week with only 3 or 4 people ever showing up at a table for 8. We still had plenty to talk about and enjoyed the conversation, but I'd much rather be at a table with more people if I could help it. I don't know when (or if) I'm going to cruise solo again, but I think I'd be inclined to do anytime just to meet more people.

I'm a solo cruiser and always choose anytime dining on a large table. You may not hit if off with any of the diners on one night but you never know the next night you might just find a new best friend.

plenty of friends to be made on a cruise. :)

The one time that I've cruised solo so far, I did fixed seating at a large table, and spent the whole week with only 3 or 4 people ever showing up at a table for 8. We still had plenty to talk about and enjoyed the conversation, but I'd much rather be at a table with more people if I could help it. I don't know when (or if) I'm going to cruise solo again, but I think I'd be inclined to do anytime just to meet more people.

That has happened to me too where I'm the only one to show up.

I travel solo as well.

Horizon Court for me, without a doubt.

I tried the dining room experience once - and for an introvert like me, it was torture.

Table by myself, my Kindle and I'm very happy :)

I travel solo as well.

Horizon Court for me, without a doubt.

I tried the dining room experience once - and for an introvert like me, it was torture.

Table by myself, my Kindle and I'm very happy :)

Mandatory fun :rolleyes: I guess it isn't for everyone.

Fun can come in many forms :)

.....such is the variety of the human experience :D

Exactly...but of course I'm into this mandatory fun stuff. I tend to go a bit crazy :D Then it is back to Earth and be serious again.

If I am a solo cruiser what is your opinion on dining....should I do anytime dining or get fixed dining?

There are pros and cons to either:

ATD:

Pro: Complete dining flexible - eat when and where you want with whomever or by yourself. Great for people that like to meet a lot of new people. You are not locked into the same people for the whole cruises.

Con: You sit with different people every night and go through the same chatter every night...where are you from, how is your cruise, yadah yadah yadah. Every night is a new group of strangers. Probably not a great choice if you're shy and don't like idle chatter. You never really get to know your wait staff.

Traditional:

Pro: You know what time your are going to eat every night and with who. Better chance of making friends and relationships. This probably is better if you are shy or the quiet type. You get to really know your waiter and bus boy.

Con: You could end up at a table of people you have nothing in common with or they don't show up. Of course you can always ask for a table change.

The general thought process are singles are better on traditional, late seating at a table of from 6 to 8 people. However, there is no right or wrong answer - it's just what's best for your cruising style and personality. Some singles like the security of the same people every night and building lasting friendship vs the flexibility of ATD. On one of my cruises I ended up making some friend early on in the cruise and we all just arrange to dined every night on ATD.

Archived