Eastbound Transatlantic Questions? Never done a TA before.

missminnie

Hi All

We're considering doing the TA on Reflection next Apr from Miami to Rome. We've sailed Celebrity both in the Med and Caribbean during May or September and recently returned from Eclipse 14 night around Southern Caribbean in April.

We wanted to try a TA and thought Reflection as it's something different and cannot afford Caribbean again next year but would like to have the opportunity to go back to Miami for a few days prior (plus the fact we're doing another 14 night Caribbean in just 4 months time).

I just wondered what the weather would be like? We depart Miami on 26th Apr and dock in Rome on 12th May visiting various Med ports after the first 7 days at sea. Will the weather start to get cooler as we go across the Atlantic? On the sea days we tend to just chill around the pool and wander round but if the weather isn't warm enough to do this all the way across I'm just a little concerned.

Any helpful advice on what else to consider for an Eastbound TA would be much appreciated. We know we'd lose a few hours going across throughout the cruise which isn't a problem for us. And the flights we're thinking of booking through Celebrity direct as it's very expensive to book one way flights for us.

Any advice or help appreciated.

Many Thanks

Actually, the weather is very nice the first 2 weeks in May. You may have a little rain, but the daytime temps will be in the low to mid-70's. You'll get a little wind crossing the pond, but there's always the solarium. Should be able to use the outside pools for the first 3 days or so.

We enjoy the Westbound TA's much better as you get all the port activities out of the way first then the 7 days of relaxation crossing the pond. Our first TA was an Eastbound. Hitting 4 ports in a row and getting up early each morning for excursions, then pull into port and hopping on the airplane for the trip back.

I guess if you spend 3-4 days in Europe post-cruise, it shouldn't be so bad.

The weather can be nice but weather is alway variable.

The only major drawback to an East Cost crossing is that you will have to set the clocks forward from time to time.

A crossing is a very nice experience.

Keith

We just did the TA from FL to Barcelona...on Equinox. Departed 4/15

The weather was warm to hot in FL, Nassau and the Canary Islands. For the 7 sea days between Nassau and Tenerife the weather started off mild and balmy, but we did have 3 or 4 days of cool, windy, showery weather. The biggest thing was the wind - the loungers on Deck 14 were lashed down and using the pool deck was well nigh impossible although there were people out there well wrapped and using the hot-tubs. We had rough seas on one night. On the cool/windy days we took advantage of the sky-lounge to watch the world go by.

our European port calls were influenced by a nasty cold-front coming down from the North sea, and again the wind and slightly rough seas were a factor. Average temperature in Lisbon and Gibraltar was 18 Celsius. It was pleasant enough.

The day we arrived in Barcelona was mild and rainy. We hired a car and drove to the south of France and experienced very similar weather for the next 5 days. Mild and warm and a few showers.

So as you can see - anything goes. Its spring:)

The time change was bearable.

Thanks All

That's my concern. If the weather is only typically good for the first few days out of Miami then I'm gonna get bored for the remaining 4 days at sea. We're not into the activities that Celebrity tend to do and just like to enjoy using deck 14 and dipping into the pool every few hours.

Sounds like I may be one of those ones with a blanket wrapped round me at the pool :D

Or we pay at least £1500 more and do the Caribbean again for 14 nights.... TA's are such good price.

Thanks Everyone

I suppose it's just pot luck then really as it can be so variable.

Nothing we can do to change the weather and the fact it's leaving Miami 26th Apr helps as it's slightly later in the year already so will be hitting May in the Med.

We'll never know till we try a TA so may as well just see what we get!

We just got back from the Silhouette TA--fantastic weather the entire trip except for one sea day in the Med when it was a bit cool and cloudy. Last year on the Eclipse we had very iffy weather the whole way--so you never know, but there was always plenty to do. You do lose one hour a night on 6 days, a bit disruptive but not a deal breaker.

Be SURE to check Choice Air (not a celebrity package deal) for your return air. You can go in now and see pricing at www.choiceair.com. We flew home from Paris to San Francisco, nonstop, for $600/pp. It was cheaper for us to book our SFO to Ft. Lauderdale leg on our own so be sure to check all possible combinations. We first checked prices in January when we were just thinking about going--did not book the return until about 5 days before we left (4/14) and the prices never varied by more than $10-15, which was fantastic. We picked our own flight from tons of choices, picked our own seats, and had a great flight. Can't say enough good things about it. OTOH I have never found their r/t trips to be as good a deal.

Overall we had pretty nice weather on our spring TA on the Equinox. Out of 15 nights I think there were actually only 3 where it wasn't warm enough the entire day to lie out at the pool. On those days people headed to the Solarium where it was just lovely and warm!

I must say that I was a bit apprehensive about our first TA. A week at sea had me all worried but I shouldn't have given it a second thought. The days just flew by without any effort at all. Somehow we always found things to do and it was certainly relaxing. Take a leap of faith and find out for yourselves why TAs are so popular...you'll be glad you did.

We just got back from the Silhouette TA--fantastic weather the entire trip except for one sea day in the Med when it was a bit cool and cloudy. Last year on the Eclipse we had very iffy weather the whole way--so you never know, but there was always plenty to do. You do lose one hour a night on 6 days, a bit disruptive but not a deal breaker.

Be SURE to check Choice Air (not a celebrity package deal) for your return air. You can go in now and see pricing at www.choiceair.com. We flew home from Paris to San Francisco, nonstop, for $600/pp. It was cheaper for us to book our SFO to Ft. Lauderdale leg on our own so be sure to check all possible combinations. We first checked prices in January when we were just thinking about going--did not book the return until about 5 days before we left (4/14) and the prices never varied by more than $10-15, which was fantastic. We picked our own flight from tons of choices, picked our own seats, and had a great flight. Can't say enough good things about it. OTOH I have never found their r/t trips to be as good a deal.

Oooh thanks for the tip. Is the price as a fly/cruise through Celebrity not the same as booking Choice Air then??

The price for the air part of booking cruise and flights at same time is £735 for an outward from London Heathrow to Miami and the back to Heathrow from Rome. A one way flight from London to Miami in the UK is £900 each alone hence why I thought the price they gave was very reasonable given it's both flights and a hotel night before.

Although we want to fly out 2 or 3 days prior to cruise and stay in South Beach but can't be done if we book at same time as cruise as hotel will be in Miami as cruise departs from there.

If we just booked the cruise through Celebrity can we then choose Choice Air after and book our own flights and own hotel through a hotel site??

Sorry, never ever booked flights with cruise as always done our own thing and booked everything separately given it was cheaper for return flights to do our own thing.

south beach is part of Miami....

You can book directly with choice air as long as you have a reservation number with Celebrity (or RCL/Azamara). They often/usually have better one way fares than you can book yourself....and in your case you want a one way fare to Miami. You can check without a reservation...you just can't book until you have a cruise reservation.

Booking your own hotel is generally about 1/2 the price that celebrity charges...we never use celebrity. We always fly to a cruise a day or two early, using choice air for transatlantics and booking our own hotels. Yes, we have to worry about getting around, but I usually just rent a car and drive myself. You have to figure transfers in when you decide how to book a pre/post cruise stay.

Fly/cruise has nothing to do with booking on choice air.

south beach is part of Miami....

You can book directly with choice air as long as you have a reservation number with Celebrity (or RCL/Azamara). They often/usually have better one way fares than you can book yourself....and in your case you want a one way fare to Miami. You can check without a reservation...you just can't book until you have a cruise reservation.

Booking your own hotel is generally about 1/2 the price that celebrity charges...we never use celebrity. We always fly to a cruise a day or two early, using choice air for transatlantics and booking our own hotels. Yes, we have to worry about getting around, but I usually just rent a car and drive myself. You have to figure transfers in when you decide how to book a pre/post cruise stay.

Fly/cruise has nothing to do with booking on choice air.

Thanks for the info - that's really helpful. I knew South Beach is part of Miami as we stayed there just last month however when I questioned Celebrity where our hotel will be located and could we choose South Beach I was informed no, it would be Miami and near the port probably.

I would much prefer to do our own thing and fly out 3 nights before, stay in South Beach and then choose our own hotel. Not too bothered if the transfers aren't then included as we like to get to places at our time - not Celebrity time so feel less restricted. We hired a car last month and only used it to get from airport to hotel, paid to park it for 2 nights (didn't use it at all) and then from hotel to port. So we'd be happy to save the parking costs in South Beach and just find our own way around.

I think I'll just book cruise only tomorrow then and once the flights are released I can do some research. (it's still a little too far out as just over 11 months still for our outbound flight let alone the return flight on 12th May so need to wait a month)

Then if not working out we can add on the flights as package through Celebrity but Choiceair seems to be the way to go for the two one-way flights.

Thanks

We just did the TA from FL to Barcelona...on Equinox. Departed 4/15

The weather was warm to hot in FL, Nassau and the Canary Islands. For the 7 sea days between Nassau and Tenerife the weather started off mild and balmy, but we did have 3 or 4 days of cool, windy, showery weather. The biggest thing was the wind - the loungers on Deck 14 were lashed down and using the pool deck was well nigh impossible although there were people out there well wrapped and using the hot-tubs. We had rough seas on one night. On the cool/windy days we took advantage of the sky-lounge to watch the world go by.

So as you can see - anything goes. Its spring:)

The time change was bearable.

Rather like the weather we experienced two years ago on the TA to Rome. A few days at the beginning were nice and warm and then it was very windy and rough seas for several days. Didn't bother us much and the Solarium was always available. Once we hit the Azores, weather was beautiful and remained that way the rest of the time. Captain changed course in order to rescue some (fools:)) on a catamaran in the middle of the Atlantic who needed aid in that storm and high seas. Weather for all of our ports was warm and sunny - in fact, we stayed three days in Rome and it was very hot:cool:

ALthough it was a slight pain to change clocks several times, that time of year gives far more hours of sunlight than fall TA's. Will be trying that direction (west) later this year but think I would rather have daylight than 6 more hours during 2 weeks.

I think I'll just book cruise only tomorrow then and once the flights are released I can do some research. (it's still a little too far out as just over 11 months still for our outbound flight let alone the return flight on 12th May so need to wait a month)

Then if not working out we can add on the flights as package through Celebrity but Choiceair seems to be the way to go for the two one-way flights.

Thanks

Choiceair has been best for us, far less than anything else we could get. Flights to or from Europe have cost $440-$600. Cheaper in late fall than Spring. We found flights at the end of December last year for a late November TA this year and watched them for 3-4 weeks before booking. Had no problem calling Choice Air for questions we had & make sure they have your Captain's Club # as well as reservation #. We are waiting another few weeks or month to see about fares for next Spring TA. Hope they are friendly;)

The weather can be nice but weather is alway variable.

The only major drawback to an East Cost crossing is that you will have to set the clocks forward from time to time.

A crossing is a very nice experience.

Keith

I enjoyed the clocks going forward , I got to sleep in :D

Madeira this April was hot must have been in the 30's C. Sunset bar was packed at sail way

On a 15 day sailing on the Silhouette , we were at the sunset bar for happy hour for about 14 days

Don’t worry too much about being bored! We did an Eastbound TA and enjoyed the sea days. We don’t do the contests and games, either. But there was a movie or lecture choice on some days, and I like to read. We also took naps! There is always the evening entertainment, which we enjoyed very much. But we were so happy to see land! I think the anticipation of visiting ports was fun after the sea days. By then we were ready to do some serious sightseeing. We did spend a couple of nights in Barcelona at the end, so there was no “mad rush” to meet a flight. Try a TA--we have already done a second one going West and enjoyed it also. The 1 hour time change on most days was not a biggie. At the price, you can’t beat it!

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice.

We've booked!!!:D

Ended up booking just cruise only for time being to get the cabin we wanted.

Had a quick look at Choice Air earlier too. Whilst our flights won't be out for around a month, I did a quick search based on March 2014 flights to Miami and Sept 2013 flights back from Rome as similar sort of times of year:

£450 one way to Miami and £84 back from Rome each. Less than £550 each! I was impressed!!! Virgin Atlantic want £900 each for just the flight out to Miami so will be looking with interest in a months time.

Thanks everyone - much appreciated

I just got back from a TA crossing on reflection. The weather was great, 75 and sunny for 9 sea days. If I may suggest, book a starboard balcony. It is the sunny side east bound. Great ship.

Henry Lambert

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just got back from a TA crossing on reflection. The weather was great, 75 and sunny for 9 sea days. If I may suggest, book a starboard balcony. It is the sunny side east bound. Great ship.

Henry Lambert

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oooh thanks for that Henry

We've always sailed in a balcony on the port side (apart from once we were lucky to grab an aft suite!) - not really sure why - just happened that way.

But we've actually booked a balcony on the starboard side for this cruise - 1042. So glad we did now and I did think if the ship is going East then the sun should be on this side more often (we hoped to get some good sunsets too!)

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for all your help and advice.

We've booked!!!:D

Ended up booking just cruise only for time being to get the cabin we wanted.

Had a quick look at Choice Air earlier too. Whilst our flights won't be out for around a month, I did a quick search based on March 2014 flights to Miami and Sept 2013 flights back from Rome as similar sort of times of year:

£450 one way to Miami and £84 back from Rome each. Less than £550 each! I was impressed!!! Virgin Atlantic want £900 each for just the flight out to Miami so will be looking with interest in a months time.

Thanks everyone - much appreciated

I hope you have a wonderful cruise, but unless the rules have changed recently, you will not be able to book your flights with Choice Air, as it is only available to residents of the US and Canada. Celebrity announced a couple of years ago they would be extending it to include UK residents, but nothing seems to have happened so far.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise, but unless the rules have changed recently, you will not be able to book your flights with Choice Air, as it is only available to residents of the US and Canada. Celebrity announced a couple of years ago they would be extending it to include UK residents, but nothing seems to have happened so far.

Hi Suzy

Yeah we found that out a few days after booking! Not overly happy about that as there were at fantastic prices and we can't take advantage of yet going on the same cruise as the Americans and Canadians and would need the same flights, just in reverse.

We've ended up booking our flights with Celebrity as was much cheaper than anywhere else. But still not as cheap as Choice Air.

Just waiting for the return flight to be released as want to deviate our outgoing flight and go a few days earlier.

Archived