Freedom B2B Trip Review 4/28/13 - 5/12/13 (picture heavy)!!!

Mi familia is cruising out on B2B Freedom June 16 and June 23! I am waiting anxiously to hear all about the back to back portion of this review! i am interested to know about turn around day and actual amount of,time spent off the ship before being allowed back into room and other areas of ship. Your review has bee n amazing so far! We will be turning diamond during our second week of our B2B...I don't suppose they would let us use the diamond lounge early? Fat chance right! Keep it coming and the more details @turn around procedures, the better!!

I am going on my first cruise with RCCL Western on Freedom August 18th (will be my second cruise ever) I have read other reviews and they have all been great but this review is outstanding! The info you've given is really going to help me with my planning. I didn't even consider the champagne lounge, but I will definitely be spending some time there! Thanks so much!

Mi familia is cruising out on B2B Freedom June 16 and June 23! I am waiting anxiously to hear all about the back to back portion of this review! i am interested to know about turn around day and actual amount of,time spent off the ship before being allowed back into room and other areas of ship. Your review has bee n amazing so far! We will be turning diamond during our second week of our B2B...I don't suppose they would let us use the diamond lounge early? Fat chance right! Keep it coming and the more details @turn around procedures, the better!!

Well, since you bring it up, I'll spill some "secrets". RCCL considers a B2B to be two cruises (because really, it is). Credit for each cruise gets applied at the end of the cruise (at the very latest). So, you should be issued a Diamond Sea Pass card at the start of your second cruise (and get access to the Diamond Lounge). You may want to say something to the folks who run the Consecutive Cruiser's meeting just to make sure they get your card right.

To everyone else who posted: Thank you so so much and I'm thrilled that everyone is finding my ramblings enjoyable and useful.

Day 6 - Cozumel, Mexico

Friday_zps6e369580.png

Something to read, while you wait.

Compass61_zpsbeb3af21.png

Compass62_zps5d7699c8.png

Compass63_zpsae31b669.png

Compass64_zpsf675eacb.png

My Cozumel research led me to a few things. First was snorkeling. You can find some of the best snorkeling and diving in Cozumel, but I wanted something easy. Turns out that Sunset Beach is a few hundred yards away from the docks and has a dive shop that rents snorkeling gear, lockers and anything else you might need. Authentic local food was next and La Mission (in town) is supposed to be the best in Cozumel. Finally, some light shopping and an obligatory trip to Senor Frogs (the 1/2 Frogs at the end of the pier will do). You know you love to Frog. Everyone loves to Frog.

So we Frogged. Woke up on Day 7 with a phone full of confusing pictures. Can't remember a thing. That would make a great movie (or a trilogy, apparently)...

Just kidding. That didn't happen. Seriously, it was a beautiful day in Cozumel.

Cozumel2_zps6ec7ecb4.png

Cozumel_zpscea97aeb.png

Ship_zps7cf6caf5.png

As always, our shadow. To be honest, I'm not sure if they were the same ships or what.

We put on our swim wear, grabbed towels and headed to shore to snorkel.

Port_zps93684c6b.png

Port2_zpsfd088ff6.png

The port area. Very nice. Plenty of "Mexican junk for your American dollars". That isn't my line. A vendor in a flee market in Puerto Vallarta used that on me several years ago. I bought something from him.

As promised, a few hundred yards away was Sunset Beach, where the surf was rough. Dangerously rough.

Rough_zpsf0d2958f.png

Rough2_zps2ba57eba.png

Houston, we have a problem. One of the locals told us that everything involving the water was cancelled due to rough seas.

Alrighty then. Back to the ship. Change into normal clothes. Dump all the water related stuff. And head back out to see the sights.

Caught a cab at the port into town ($7 ride). We arrive in town, I hand the cabbie a $20 bill (the smallest I had) and got "Sorry, sir. I can't take this." Oh yea. Everything got cancelled, so we were probably his first ride of the day and he doesn't have change. Needless to say, everyone became a little irritable. A nice young man on the street quickly offered to get change. So, I handed him the $20 and he runs off... "That was dumb" my brain informs me after the fact. Thanks. Way to be on the ball. A minute goes by. Then two. This is going to be a very expensive cab ride. As I turn to talk to the cabbie about leaving one of us with him while the other goes for change, the young man returns, out of breath and sprinting with a handful of $5 bills. My faith in the good people of Mexico is restored. I'm sure people have had bad experiences, it happens. However, I've found that far more often than not, the people of Mexico are great, down to earth, honest folks.

So, we wandered though Cozumel and saw the sights. The center of Cozumel is really beautiful.

Town1_zps1ea18a2f.png

Town2_zps326c914a.png

Town3_zps68c62777.png

Town4_zps71f5cfd5.png

Town5_zpsf21bc06f.png

Town7_zps63081f69.png

Town6_zps47db609b.png

We chose to walk, but this was another option.

After a few hours, it was time for lunch. And I knew just the spot - La Mission. This place is one block south of the center of town.

LaMission_zps840d4c14.png

LaMission3_zpsc12ea67e.png

Simple decor as this place is all about the food.

LaMission2_zps001ff228.png

There was live entertainment, of course.

ChipsampSalsa_zpsd8c71d2d.png

Complimentary Chips and Salsa Fresca to start.

Margarita1_zps0206f967.pngMargarita2_zps8041419f.png

Margaritas (excellent and dangerously potent).

Nachos_zps3c0b7f0e.pngCeviche_zps2e9aa5e6.png

Nachos (very good, rustic, simple, delicious) and Fish Ceviche (incredible, simple, tender fish, nice citrus flavors, super fresh).

Soup_zpsb57eb2e9.png

Complimentary Tortilla Soup (incredible, tender chicken, simple authentic flavors) and Garlic Bread. Yikes. Who is going to eat all this food??

Shrimp_zps1316f224.pngCombinationPlatter_zpsf88df65d.png

Mexican Shrimp (excellent, shrimp in a simple tomato sauce, tender and fresh) and Mexican Combo Platter (incredible, chicken tamale, chicken & pipian enchilada, chile relleno, stewed beef, cheese quesadilla, all very authentic and fantastic)

What? No dessert?? Warning: The food is all delicious, but there is tons of it. If this place opened up in southern AZ, it would put every other Mexican restaurants out of business.

LasMission3_zpsc6758206.png

This is over the door on the way out.

We did some more wandering and shopping. Were momentarily tempted by a pair of wild and crazy bars.

Town8_zps87b4f587.pngTown9_zps3cb2c9ad.png

Same place. Different name. Both part of the same building. What happens in there, stays in there. Unless the conga line drifts out onto the sidewalk...

By late afternoon, it was time to head to the port area. Conveniently located in the port is:

HalfFrog1_zps3296ece6.png

Half the Frog, double the fun.

HalfFrog3_zpsa315ed35.png

The inside.

HalfFrog4_zps3f1c7d7c.png

The bar.

HalfFrog5_zpsd753344d.png

Stumbling distance to the ship.

HalfFrog8_zpscad75ea4.png

Margarita yards. Just about everything is served up as a yard.

HalfFrog7_zps7f1b4f29.png

Beware of the shot lady with the whistle. Body shots ensued. The good thing is that the shots are shots of a mixed drink (not potent at all). However, they are a little pricey.

PartingShot_zps12b32284.png

Whew. Four ports in four days and we made it back on board to take this shot as we left.

RubyRedMartini_zpsd84603c5.png

My wife tried the Ruby Red Martini (excellent, very refreshing) before dinner.

CrabCake_zps39e0e5d1.pngCaesarSalad_zpsc934fb0c.png

Crab Cake (very good, big chunks of crab, tangy remoulade), Caesar Salad (just as good as the last time one of us had it).

One option on the menu every night, is the Filet Mignon from Chops. There is an additional charge. It was well worth it.

ChopsFilet_zps3a615fae.pngChickenCordonBleu_zps910c6f9b.png

Chops Filet Mignon (excellent, tender, cooked perfectly, a great portion size, nothing was lost in the translation) and Chicken Cordon Bleu (S) (excellent, crispy outside, tender and juicy chicken, melting interior of comfort food)

MichelPicardCharmes-Chambertin_zpsdd098107.png

Michel Picard Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru 2005 (outstanding, dark fruit with a full body taste yet light enough to not overpower more delicate foods).

JaffaCake_zpsa60bddb1.pngVanillaIceCream_zpsc12ae226.png

Jaffa Cake (very good, orange cream over a chocolate cream base, nice blend of flavors) and Vanilla Ice Cream (very good, came with chocolate chip cookie).

We finished off the evening in the Cigar Lounge and took out tired selves to bed. I was in dire need of a sea day.

Bat_zpsd45c0870.png

Beware of bats.

Yay - yet another Freedom review! I love the Freedom - can't wait to read more and to see pictures! I have never done a B2B, but it's my dream...one of these days....sigh.

This may be the first B2B review I have read about Freedom since she moved to Port Canaveral. I think it will be the first review I have seen that included both coco cay and Labadee.

Great pictures. Considering sailing Freedom. Have questions about the Solarium. Does it have a retractable glass ceiling or is it open to the sky?

Enjoyed the Solarium on the Jewel with the covered ceiling.

It is mostly open, but there is what I would say considerable covered areas. The solarium on Freedom is my favorite over the Voyager and Oasis class.

Great pics! Could you please explain how to get to Sunset Beach? Is it part of a hotel complex? I am aware that El Cid allows cruisers to pay to use facilities at their beach. But I'm pretty sure from your picture, that Sunset is a different beach altogether. Your picture looks like you can walk right into the water. At El Cid, there are steps down the wall to the water, as their beach is man-made. I had fogotten how pretty San Miguel is. Maybe next time, we'll look around and eat at La Mission!

Most of my favorite memories are at senor frogs/ carlos & charlies! Thanks for the review, cant wait to see more!

If you have memories of Senor Frogs, you did something wrong. Just kidding. Some of my best vacation memories are from Senor Frog's as well.

I am really enjoying my daily fix of review and then I see the towel animal and sadly it's all over :(

You still have another week of it to enjoy...

Great pics! Could you please explain how to get to Sunset Beach? Is it part of a hotel complex? I am aware that El Cid allows cruisers to pay to use facilities at their beach. But I'm pretty sure from your picture' date=' that Sunset is a different beach altogether. Your picture looks like you can walk right into the water. At El Cid, there are steps down the wall to the water, as their beach is man-made. I had fogotten how pretty San Miguel is. Maybe next time, we'll look around and eat at La Mission![/quote']

To get to Sunset Beach: Exit the port area and walk past the taxis. When you reach the road, turn left. Walk a few hundred yards and you'll see a dive shop/business with a sign that says "Sunset Beach" on your left. It is not part of a hotel or anything. I think it is past El Cid, but I could be wrong.

The name is a little misleading as there really isn't any beach to speak of - at least nothing I would define as a "beach".