Opening day at McKinley Princess Lodge

Sumar76

Came up from Anchorage today to Mt. mcKinley Lodge.

Snowed a bit on the way but no accumulations.

The rivers and streams are still frozen and Mt. McKinley there are drifts all around.

It is their first day open, everything running very smoothly and all staff very eager to please. Restraints open, gift shop stocked.

There is a naturalist here giving a few talks today, very interesting.

Mt. McKinley did come out from the clouds a bit.

Having very good time on Princess cruistour so far..

No bashing please that I didn't DIY.

One bit of info. For anyone with mobility problems. Make sure you ask for a room near the main lodge, as there are out buildings and even tho there is a shuttle to transport between them it's every 20 minutes and you might have to walk up/down a slight incline to get to it.

Just thought I'd mention.

The rivers and streams are still frozen and Mt. McKinley there are drifts all around.

It is their first day open, everything running very smoothly and all staff very eager to please. Restraints open, gift shop stocked.

No bashing please that I didn't DIY..

I'm doing my cruisetour in August and I'm an Alaskan travel virgin so I'm doing everything through Princess. I'd love to hear more about your trip as you go along.

Thanks for the update. The only downside of a cruisetour (or even a DIY tour) this early is that you won't get very far into Denali NP - max to mile 29. That is a shame since the shuttle and tour buses go to mile 53 starting May 20th. I would never consider such an early date at Denali NP unless I had been there multiple times before and been further into the park.

Mammkmm2: I am no authority, just know what a few have said.. Like tour desk at the lodge... The float tours are not going right now as rivers are still frozen.

We went over the Chultina river today and it was still frozen.

As many have said, the weather changes here very quickly..but having said that many have said this is the " latest" spring they've ever had.

You being less than 2 weeks away, I'm not sure.

There are snow drifts of a few feet here but it was in the mid 40's , sun intervals and the snow has been melting.

that many have said this is the " latest" spring they've ever had.

There are snow drifts of a few feet here but it was in the mid 40's , sun intervals and the snow has been melting.

We spent 2 weeks in May last year. I have cruised often in May and last year, it was a cold May. Mostly dry but cold. We had a ton of snow on the ground in Whittier. It appears you guys are having an even later spring than we had last year. The snow on the mountains is beautiful, enjoy the rest of your trip! We had mostly highs in the 40's.

Mammkmm2: I am no authority, just know what a few have said.. Like tour desk at the lodge... The float tours are not going right now as rivers are still frozen.

We went over the Chultina river today and it was still frozen.

As many have said, the weather changes here very quickly..but having said that many have said this is the " latest" spring they've ever had.

Thanks. It will be a little disappointing to have to miss the float if that happens but it will just give us more time to hike. A door closes and a window opens. Only way to look at it.

No bashing please that I didn't DIY.

One bit of info. For anyone with mobility problems. Make sure you ask for a room near the main lodge, as there are out buildings and even tho there is a shuttle to transport between them it's every 20 minutes and you might have to walk up/down a slight incline to get to it.

Just thought I'd mention.

Oh, how exciting that you are there!!! We are also doing a Princess cruise tour and I am really looking forward to it!! Enjoy Alaska and looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

Archived