More Competition Coming in 2015

Andy

Hi Colonel Wes,

How are you ? I hope all is well.

Thank you for your comments. FYI, I've just learned the Viking Ocean forum will open on Monday, and I've been appointed as Moderator. I'm truly looking forward to the new assignment.

congrats, Andy

i will have to check out this new cruise line for winter cruises in 2015.. europe also depending on where it is going vs where i have been

I had a look at the website and was very impressed to see it all up and running already!

Don't know why anyone has not thought of an aft infinity pool before, bet that will look amazing, something to consider for 2015 and beyond esp if the prices are good! :)

This interesting, I wish Azamara would go into an alliance with a river boat line offering a back to back say a European or Far East destination cruise, backed to a river cruise. That would be a perfect special holiday in my book

Uktog, great idea, would like to see in next few years Viking do Asia Ocean (e.g. embark singapore) and then join a Viking China River/Hotel trips (as cruise friends who have done) report they are exceptional.

[quote name=

Don't know why anyone has not thought of an aft infinity pool before' date=' bet that will look amazing, something to consider for 2015 and beyond esp if the prices are good! :)[/quote]

I would prefer a bar at the aft rather than a pool. As far as I can see on the deck plans there is no aft bar on this ship as on Azamara and Celebrity

Uktog, great idea, would like to see in next few years Viking do Asia Ocean (e.g. embark singapore) and then join a Viking China River/Hotel trips (as cruise friends who have done) report they are exceptional.

That's exactly what we would like to do, I want a river China with a cruise

Very happy to hear that there will be a CC forum for Viking Ocean cruises - and that you will be the moderator Andy.

I have been poring over the impressive marketing materials and discussing a booking with our friends. We will likely book the April 2015 Istanbul-Venice cruise.

See you on the new forum very soon. Think we will need a spreadsheet for cabins. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very happy to hear that there will be a CC forum for Viking Ocean cruises - and that you will be the moderator Andy.

I have been poring over the impressive marketing materials and discussing a booking with our friends. We will likely book the April 2015 Istanbul-Venice cruise.

See you on the new forum very soon. Think we will need a spreadsheet for cabins. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandi, I would looking at booking soon. When we booked yesterday the agent stated that bookings were swift. There seems to be a lot of interest in this new line plus many of the Viking regulars are booking.:)

Azamara better get a new ship quick..we these two old ships, you can only ride good staff for so long...

It must be troubling for Azamara to see all the alocades going to Viking. I am a fan of both companies. Azamara has the deep pockets of RCI behind them, but Viking has a well founded river operation going for them. I am happy to see the competition, but 2015 is a bit too far in the future for me to book anything now. I just booked a river cruise with Viking for October 2014, and that is as far out as I want to go.

Sandi, I would looking at booking soon. When we booked yesterday the agent stated that bookings were swift. There seems to be a lot of interest in this new line plus many of the Viking regulars are booking.:)

Thanks for the advice. Just waiting to hear back from Viking. Can you book with Viking and then switch to a TA for some OBC?

Absolutely, we were first of all VS bookers, to book Viking Star Friday morning via Viking about 8a.m. within 60 min transferred to our TA. You have 60 days to transfer the direct booking w/Viking to your TA. Simply send you invoice with your Booking # to your TA, she/he will have Viking transfer and earn same commission and hopefully hour TA will in turn give you bennies.

in the brochure I downloaded (page 10) it seems to be saying that with the verandah cabins you may not get speciality restaurant dining and to get that you have to book a deluxe verandah cabin. Did anyone else see that or am I reading this wrong. For us to book the deluxe cabin it will cost us $800 per person more for the sailing we are looking at. Or is it that you just don't get priority reservations and have to take your chances to book something when you get on the ship?

We don't want a big cabin and actually prefer lower level cabins due to less motion but we do like to access the speciality restaurants.

I have also posted this on the river cruise page hoping someone might know the answer to our question.

in the brochure I downloaded (page 10) it seems to be saying that with the verandah cabins you may not get speciality restaurant dining and to get that you have to book a deluxe verandah cabin. Did anyone else see that or am I reading this wrong. For us to book the deluxe cabin it will cost us $800 per person more for the sailing we are looking at. Or is it that you just don't get priority reservations and have to take your chances to book something when you get on the ship?

We don't want a big cabin and actually prefer lower level cabins due to less motion but we do like to access the speciality restaurants.

I have also posted this on the river cruise page hoping someone might know the answer to our question.

Would seem according to the pdf to which Wes linked, you don't get priority reservations in the MDR and are not guaranteed any speciality reservations - though it does not specifically exclude your ability to book "leftovers" in the specialties on board.

isAGoKAABAC8RnBVBTAAAAWiA+K4CaAgAA0ALxWQFT09HcEHlr1hUBAACQAPFZAdQUAACAFojPCqCmAAAAtEB8VgA1BQAAoAXiswKoKQAAAC0QnxVQNf03MaQCrBTuiokAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Hi Everyone,

We've just opened the doors on the Viking Oceans Forum !

Here's a link to the Forum : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=875

As the Viking Oceans Forum is now open, I'm closing this thread. Let's continue the discussion over there.

Thanks very much !

Hi Everyone,

As I've moved this thread from the Azamara Forum, it's re-opened for discussion. Thanks very much !

Jack1:

Regarding your questions on the Verandah and Deluxe Verandah. I've done a very simplistic review of the differences between those passengers in Verandah and all other passengers. I have shared with with Wes, so hope he doesn't mind my chiming in.

First, the ship looks gorgeous- staterooms, public rooms, restaurants, enrichments, etc. Love the design and we do look forward to sailing her in the future.

We too like to book the lower categories on Seabourn and Silversea and Regent. Even Crystal's OVs, though small, are great with us as we get what everyone else gets.

Viking seems to be taking a different approach with their lowest category and indeed, the $800 pp difference does make one stop and think.

Here are some of the things I came up with based on the cabin comparison Wes kindly shared with all of us:

This is what Viking is offering in a Verandah versus Deluxe Verandah and all other cabins, and some of my comments below:

*no minibar replenish even with soda or water

*no bar setup whatsoever

*no champagne in cabin

*late boarding after everyone else is onboard

*class system for meals and on shore (no prior booking restaurant reservations and excursions)

*no coffee brewer for stateroom (small thing I admit)

*tips are not included (for anyone)

*cabin is smaller than H on Regent, OV on Seabourn

In the lowest category on Seabourn and Silversea and Crystal, I can have that (except the coffee brewer) and more in the lowest category cabin, (albeit the Crystal cabin will be a bit smaller with no balcony). I can get into the specialty restaurants when I want. I have a butler on SS. I have Nobu restaurant free on Crystal. While the food on Viking River has been fine based on our river cruise in China, it has not been Viking's strong point in my experience. I get a bottle of champagne in my room on all of the others. A similar Seabourn Pride sailing 14 nights in about the same area is priced at $3999. These give AMEX Platinum cruise benefits.

If the excursions are bookable from top down, the chance of the free excursion even being available to Verandah and perhaps Deluxe Verandah is small unless there are many buses. 300 (figuring 2 to each room, there may be more) people able to book excursions before even Deluxe Verandah can do it.

If you include Deluxe Verandah in that number there will be minimum 740 excursion places booked if everyone wants one (for example in St. Petersburg in order to get the ship's Visa) before Verandah can book.

If the restaurants are bookable from top down, just the top 3 categories will have booked 346 tables for the specialty restaurants before the cruise starts. If you include Deluxe Verandah, that number jumps to 566 tables booked. And that is before people start doubling up on rez so that they get to go 6 times with friends rather than just their 3 times.

Figuring just 2 to a cabin, there are 740 guests who will be onboard before Verandah is allowed to board.

Now I understand not everyone is going to want to go on the same excursion or eat at the same time so I am talking "places" possible in total on the cruise on excursions and restaurant tables.

There are 188 people onboard who will have what appears to be "second class" status. I picture doing the Irish reel in the orlop. :)

Like you, we question the worth of $1600 to us to have one step up of a chance to get reservations or even onboard the ship after everyone else by booking a Deluxe Verandah.

But that is OUR thinking. Others may feel differently. The chance to sail a brand new ship with "new sheets" is priceless. And it is a truly beautiful ship.

We want to sail Viking Star. We value Wes' comments and analysis. I would like more clarification on why, when Viking is marketing to US passengers, they feel the need to do this to one category of cabin.

I'm not saying that those who book a penthouse or above do not deserve special perks. But food and shore excursions do seem to be basic to a luxury cruise.

Tomorrow we leave for the Crystal Symphony and the Silversea Shadow in a little over two weeks. We are not in a higher class cabin on either. But, we know that we will be treated well with the same opportunities for excursions and restaurants. We love to cruise. We have cruised Viking and loved it. We hope to do so again.

Hi John & Kathy, outstanding analysis, thank you for sharing. Ida and I will very much miss sailing with you on the Vikings Homelands voyage May 2015. Most importantly have a wonderful Crystal Voyage and Silversea Alaska journey.

ps..thanks to your spot on Viking River China review--it is now on our cruise dance card--we want to take Silversea (Hk to Shanghai) or Azamara to link up with the Viking Imprerial. Hope Azamara's 2015 itineraries include Hong Kong to Shanghai.

I don't think that reservations in specialty dining will be an issue. The top suites receive three guaranteed reservations for a 14 night cruise. That will leave other nights open for other staterooms.

Also, if Viking is advertising that an excursion in every port is included they have to honor that. One would hope that all of this has been thought out by Viking. Hopefully they will add more training for their cruise consultants as they seem to know very little about this product at the moment. I have called twice and both times they could not answer certain questions.

I think Viking needs to revisit the perks for the standard Veranda staterooms. Big gap in perks IMHO.

I would like more clarification on why, when Viking is marketing to US passengers, they feel the need to do this to one category of cabin.

I'm not saying that those who book a penthouse or above do not deserve special perks. But food and shore excursions do seem to be basic to a luxury cruise.

To reference the previously mentioned fox news interview with Mr. Hagen, I suspect this category creates a lower entry price point for the perhaps more cost sensitive cruisers (those who do not typically book beyond standard accommodations) on the comparison cruise lines.

Hagen says Viking Star will be priced more in line with the brands his customers say they sail the most -- Oceania, Celebrity and Holland America.

The other point of interest is while Hagen does call Viking Ocean the most “all-inclusive” cruise ship yet, he did not refer to it as a luxury cruise.

All this said, while some of the self appointed arbiters on these boards have their own strict definitions of luxury, to me luxury is a label that is very individual and what one considers luxury another may not.

cruisingator2, agree the Viking Oceans reps are not well informed--our booking last Friday took about an hour (she had to ck with her spvsr 4-8 times to answer ?). Still Viking comfirmed with Cruise Critic and our TA that we booked the VS as their first guests, whatever that means.

Tho, did find out from our TA, that the Viking reps did not learn they would book Viking Star until last Thursday. They have a steep learning curve--but since Viking did such a wonderful job with the VS roll out--u would have thunk they would also educate their front line reps to be able to answer potential guests ? completely.

Jack1:

Regarding your questions on the Verandah and Deluxe Verandah. I've done a very simplistic review of the differences between those passengers in Verandah and all other passengers. I have shared with with Wes, so hope he doesn't mind my chiming in.

First, the ship looks gorgeous- staterooms, public rooms, restaurants, enrichments, etc. Love the design and we do look forward to sailing her in the future.

We too like to book the lower categories on Seabourn and Silversea and Regent. Even Crystal's OVs, though small, are great with us as we get what everyone else gets.

Viking seems to be taking a different approach with their lowest category and indeed, the $800 pp difference does make one stop and think.

Here are some of the things I came up with based on the cabin comparison Wes kindly shared with all of us:

This is what Viking is offering in a Verandah versus Deluxe Verandah and all other cabins, and some of my comments below:

*no minibar replenish even with soda or water

*no bar setup whatsoever

*no champagne in cabin

*late boarding after everyone else is onboard

*class system for meals and on shore (no prior booking restaurant reservations and excursions)

*no coffee brewer for stateroom (small thing I admit)

*tips are not included (for anyone)

*cabin is smaller than H on Regent, OV on Seabourn

In the lowest category on Seabourn and Silversea and Crystal, I can have that (except the coffee brewer) and more in the lowest category cabin, (albeit the Crystal cabin will be a bit smaller with no balcony). I can get into the specialty restaurants when I want. I have a butler on SS. I have Nobu restaurant free on Crystal. While the food on Viking River has been fine based on our river cruise in China, it has not been Viking's strong point in my experience. I get a bottle of champagne in my room on all of the others. A similar Seabourn Pride sailing 14 nights in about the same area is priced at $3999. These give AMEX Platinum cruise benefits.

If the excursions are bookable from top down, the chance of the free excursion even being available to Verandah and perhaps Deluxe Verandah is small unless there are many buses. 300 (figuring 2 to each room, there may be more) people able to book excursions before even Deluxe Verandah can do it.

If you include Deluxe Verandah in that number there will be minimum 740 excursion places booked if everyone wants one (for example in St. Petersburg in order to get the ship's Visa) before Verandah can book.

If the restaurants are bookable from top down, just the top 3 categories will have booked 346 tables for the specialty restaurants before the cruise starts. If you include Deluxe Verandah, that number jumps to 566 tables booked. And that is before people start doubling up on rez so that they get to go 6 times with friends rather than just their 3 times.

Figuring just 2 to a cabin, there are 740 guests who will be onboard before Verandah is allowed to board.

Now I understand not everyone is going to want to go on the same excursion or eat at the same time so I am talking "places" possible in total on the cruise on excursions and restaurant tables.

There are 188 people onboard who will have what appears to be "second class" status. I picture doing the Irish reel in the orlop. :)

Like you, we question the worth of $1600 to us to have one step up of a chance to get reservations or even onboard the ship after everyone else by booking a Deluxe Verandah.

But that is OUR thinking. Others may feel differently. The chance to sail a brand new ship with "new sheets" is priceless. And it is a truly beautiful ship.

We want to sail Viking Star. We value Wes' comments and analysis. I would like more clarification on why, when Viking is marketing to US passengers, they feel the need to do this to one category of cabin.

Tomorrow we leave for the Crystal Symphony and the Silversea Shadow in a little over two weeks. We are not in a higher class cabin on either. But, we know that we will be treated well with the same opportunities for excursions and restaurants. We love to cruise. We have cruised Viking and loved it. We hope to do so again.

Harbourmaster-

I suspect we think alike in this matter. We do not consume much alcohol except for an occasional glass of wine with a meal and have not been fond of the champagne left in staterooms on Celebrity, Oceania and most recently Regent. quite often the bottles are still in the rooms when we leave! It isn't important for us to be first on the ship as we usually like to explore the port city (if possible) before we get on. Many of the perks to go to the deluxe verandah are of little interest to us so we will probably be one of those who will look at the regular verandahs. $1600 for us is not a great hardship but we want to feel, when we spend $1600, that we are getting value for it. At this point we are not convinced.

You have done some good calculations on chances of getting specialty reservations and the one free tour. Thank you for posting your findings. We typically don't take ship sponsered tours (recent Regent cruise brought this home to us again why we prefer to do our own with small groups secured with our roll calls on CC). The one tour Viking will give us in each port we will probably pass on.

So I suspect we will save the extra $ and be in the regular verandah cabins.

One thing stopping us from booking right now is having to pay the full amount by Dec 31, 2013 almost 16 months prior to cruising. Is this typical with river cruises? I know in the 20+ ocean cruises we have never had to pay this far in advance and typically pay 90-120 days prior to sail date.

Someone had a good point about having to buy cancellation innsurance/medical insurance on final payment day. If you have to cancel the cruise b4 regular final payment date, is a person out the cruise insurance too because we have bought cruise insurance a year out?

There are many things to consider but we are very intrigued by this new line. We have cruised many times with Oceania and just once with Regent (last month) so this may be a fit for us.

Thank you again for your thoughts and comments. It gave us more to think about while trying to decide.

Still Viking comfirmed with Cruise Critic and our TA that we booked the VS as their first guests, whatever that means.

Bragging rights. That's what it means Wes! :)

Knowing you, you will take the mantle and deliver those of us who come after you valuable trustworthy information and insight (with pictures no less!).

Archived