Never been here!

JerseyshoreBruce

If I'm understanding correctly, sounds like you have no interest in any sort of tour or a resort ... and what you want is to tell the taxi driver where to take you to the beach.

We've been happy going to Palm Beach for the day from time to time. :)

LuLu

~~~~

If I'm understanding correctly, sounds like you have no interest in any sort of tour or a resort ... and what you want is to tell the taxi driver where to take you to the beach.

We've been happy going to Palm Beach for the day from time to time. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Palm Beach sounds good to me.....yes i have found they get kickback from certain beaches for taking people there.....so i would rather rely on you....thanks!

Taxi drivers in Aruba have rates set by the government. You can ask to see their rate chart, which they are required to keep in their taxis. I've never heard of them getting any kick-backs. Most tourists go to either Palm Beach or Eagle Beach. I use the taxis while vacationing in Aruba at least 10 times each year, and have never encountered any problems, other than being charged a dollar or so more by some drivers.

Palm Beach sounds good to me.....yes i have found they get kickback from certain beaches for taking people there.....so i would rather rely on you....thanks!

Agree, the "kickback" story isn't true. Take a cab and don't worry about it.

I guess proprietors like MoomBa or vendors renting chaises and umbrellas could give a kickback if they desired, but anyone can go to Palm beach or Eagle beach. They are public beaches so essentially there is no one to pay the kickback to the drivers.

If you don't like relying on the taxi drivers to get you to the beach areas, you can easily and cheaply take the bus. The stop is about a block from the dock and it cost $2.30 each way to Palm or Eagle Beach. They are worth the trip, but I like to grab a cab for the ride back, because the bus makes a lot of stops and it can take a while.

• 2 weeks later...

We had this problem in St. Kitt. We requested a certain beach that I had decided on due to this forum. They took us somewhere else and tried to dump us off. We refused and made them take us where we had requested. We found out later that they do get a kick back from the beach bar owner if they take them there. Thats what I love about cruise critic.

We had this problem in St. Kitt. We requested a certain beach that I had decided on due to this forum. They took us somewhere else and tried to dump us off. We refused and made them take us where we had requested. We found out later that they do get a kick back from the beach bar owner if they take them there. Thats what I love about cruise critic.

Same thing happened to me last year in Antigua.

Regardless of where you are going in Aruba, when hiring a taxi I always suggest verifying the fare with the driver before you get in. Know what the fare should be. Drivers have been known to "pad" the fare for a tip. Fares are set by the government. This would include the destination.

That is 100% true....the kickback they get is from the Bar/restaurant club they take you to. They have deals setup to drop you off at certain spots where they get paid a percentage ....either in free drinks or food and who knows what else depending how many people they drop..so true

Archived