Wine question for anyone just off first trip to Alaska on Golden!

southpawsdakota

I'm not going to get embroiled in the discussion again...it's not worth the energy...but it's good to know that we're still trying to figure out ways to push the limits of the rules. Some things never change.

I had the same thought -- and when the first person reports getting 'caught' there will be righteous indignation all around :eek:.

I don't have a clue. Just repeating. But I will still take a chance on packing a wine box.

Sorry. Didn't mean to make it look like I was quizzing you. More of a rhetorical question to the guy at Total Wine who appears to be slinging a load of you know what.

A box might get through a metal detector, but I don't believe it would not be noticed by a scanner.

I think this is correct. The scanner has to be able to detect a litre (or 3) of liquid. If not, there is a problem.

Sorry. Didn't mean to make it look like I was quizzing you. More of a rhetorical question to the guy at Total Wine who appears to be slinging a load of you know what.

I think this is correct. The scanner has to be able to detect a litre (or 3) of liquid. If not, there is a problem.

I will report; you know that. Just as I did on April 20th when I had the box in San Pedro. You'll just have to wait a bit because we have no cruise until September.

My group would like to purchase the allotted bottles to carry on. We are tiring to find a convenient place to purchase the bottles. I read that there is a wine store at SEA, but also was told that it was for international duty free passengers. Anyone know?

I will report; you know that. Just as I did on April 20th when I had the box in San Pedro. You'll just have to wait a bit because we have no cruise until September.

I am having lunch on the Westerdam on June 1st. It will be docked right next to the Star so I will go over and check out the wine situation on that ship and let you know what I learn.

My big red Wine Check arrived yesterday so I shall load it up with a case of my favorite wine for my August cruise. I am so excited about it. :)

antsp writes:

Fool proof way of smuggling wine on board is to drink it just before you get on the ship, by keeping it in your bladder Princess will never know. I'm a genius for thinking of this. I know. I know.

Totally priceless! :)

I had the same thought -- and when the first person reports getting 'caught' there will be righteous indignation all around :eek:.

Ain't that right...? And this is why Princess keeps tightening the screws.

The only person that I have noticed who has indicated that they are going to try something outside of the new rules is Pia and I can't imagine her carrying on in righteous indignation.

I am confident that she will simply issue a factual report of her experiences, just as she always does and I, for one, will be very happy to read her report.

The only person that I have noticed who has indicated that they are going to try something outside of the new rules is Pia and I can't imagine her carrying on in righteous indignation.

Sorry - I thought I read that someone was asking about rum runners and how they worked.

I will. Boxes don't show on xray. Total Wine and More guy told me it was good to go because there's no lead like in bottled wine.

Pia,

:confused:Won't the flask inside the box holding the Wine show up on the scanners for checked luggage? I would think so...since that is how the 'Liquor Control Police' can tell if a pax is smuggling booze in there check luggage. Or am I totally wrong?:confused:

Sorry - I thought I read that someone was asking about rum runners and how they worked.

Yes, I did ask about rum runners and how they worked, not because I had the slightest interest in buying or using one, but because a friend who knows I cruise a lot sent me a message yesterday telling me she was going to use one on Celebrity. I actually advised her not to try as I have heard that Celebrity is pretty strict.

I am still, however, curious about them as I do hear them mentioned from time to time and wondered what they were and how they could work. My understanding is that the scanners can detect liquid, no matter what type of container it is in.

I am confident that she will simply issue a factual report of her experiences, just as she always does and I, for one, will be very happy to read her report.

Pia,

:confused:Won't the flask inside the box holding the Wine show up on the scanners for checked luggage? I would think so...since that is how the 'Liquor Control Police' can tell if a pax is smuggling booze in there check luggage. Or am I totally wrong?:confused:

Yes, I will give factual information and if they take it away, so be it.

I think the only thing that would show on xray would be the nozzle and even that is plastic so I don't know about it. The flask is plastic; same as the bottle in which I carry my shampoo.

With me you will have to wait until September. I am sure there will be other reports way before that.

My group would like to purchase the allotted bottles to carry on. We are tiring to find a convenient place to purchase the bottles. I read that there is a wine store at SEA, but also was told that it was for international duty free passengers. Anyone know?
Can't help you with the airport but check out this post for where to purchase wine near Pier 91. We were planning to go to Whole Foods on turnaround day for our B2B last fall, but still had enough left after our first 7 days :eek:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1683804

In Seattle, both the Star and Golden are enforcing the wine policy. Security scans your carry on and if your carrying any 'spiritis' aboard they direct you the table. They take any hard liquor, but you can keep your wine. Anything over 1 is charged the corkage fee. Checked bags are scanned by longshoremen and if anything liquid is seen, they put it into a 'special bin', onto the ship and you will receive a notice to report to the 'naughty room'. Maybe Princess decided since it's a new Alaska season, it was a good time to enforce the policy.

I called Princess before about this (was given the same answer last time as this time) because of all the discussion about the wine policy. I preorder wine (Asti Spumate) from Princess (a very limited selection and not what I would normally buy at home) plus carry on two wines.... the wine you pre order (gift yourself) (order from Gifts & Services from the Princess website) DOES NOT count in the two bottles alloted and you WILL NOT be charge the $15 corkage fee (unless you take them to the dining room). The two reps I talked with said if you are for some reason charged to call once back home and it would be removed.

Fool proof way of smuggling wine on board is to drink it just before you get on the ship, by keeping it in your bladder Princess will never know. I'm a genius for thinking of this. I know. I know.

My kind of travel companion!!! Great suggestion!! LOL

I called Princess before about this (was given the same answer last time as this time) because of all the discussion about the wine policy. I preorder wine (Asti Spumate) from Princess (a very limited selection and not what I would normally buy at home) plus carry on two wines.... the wine you pre order (gift yourself) (order from Gifts & Services from the Princess website) DOES NOT count in the two bottles alloted and you WILL NOT be charge the $15 corkage fee (unless you take them to the dining room). The two reps I talked with said if you are for some reason charged to call once back home and it would be removed.

I am skeptical that what you were told is accurate & that it's probably another case of misinformation from a Princess rep. :(

I can understand some confusion about the new changes however purchasing a bottle through Princess (pre-cruise or onboard) has always included in the price a 15% tip & corkage fee so we can enjoy it in the dining room without a 2nd corkage fee. :confused:

Has anyone had any experiences with the Coral from Vancouver or Seward? I'm sure that it's just a matter of time until it's enforced fleetwide but just wondering about the current status on the Coral...grazie! :)

I am skeptical that what you were told is accurate & that it's probably another case of misinformation from a Princess rep. :(

I can understand some confusion about the new changes however purchasing a bottle through Princess (pre-cruise or onboard) has always included in the price a 15% tip & corkage fee so we can enjoy it in the dining room without a 2nd corkage fee. :confused:

You are right. Once you buy wine from Princess, you can take it anywhere you want without any additional charges. The same goes for wine that is gifted you by your TA or a friend.

I think what the agent was trying to say is that you won't be charged a corkage fee on your two "free bottles" unless you take them to the dining room.

You are right. Once you buy wine from Princess, you can take it anywhere you want without any additional charges. The same goes for wine that is gifted you by your TA or a friend.

I think what the agent was trying to say is that you won't be charged a corkage fee on your two "free bottles" unless you take them to the dining room.

Thanks...then they'd be accurate that the 2 "free bottles" only have corkage in the MDR. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

I'd like to point out that it's most likely that Princess (and other cruise lines) monitor Cruise Critic and it's probably not a really great idea to talk about and share how you by-pass certain cruise line restrictions.

The best thing to do is to have a letter writing campaign telling them you're not happy with their nickel & dime policies.

My next 2 cruises are now set for Oceania with 4 friends. That's 12 cruise fares Princess is missing out on from very frequent Princess travelers.

We just got back from Alaska on the Star Princess. They were checking bags pretty close for extra bottles of wine and hard sprits in Seattle, there was also a crew member asking if we had any extra bottles of wine. We don't drink wine so it's not a big deal to us.

Archived