Boston pre cruise help needed

I need some assistance. We are coming to Boston Oct 24th for 3 nights pre cruise. We will be flying in. I am confused on where to stay, that will be convenient to see the sights. I have read about so many areas, that i have totally confused myself. I do NOT do subways.... Prefer no tunnels

Thank you

What is your budget? Are you 2 people? To get around you can buy a 2 day hoho bus pass. However, you will have to do a tunnel to get from the airport to downtown Boston unless you take a water taxi.

Boston hotels are very expensive. Would you consider Hotwire?

What is your budget? Are you 2 people? To get around you can buy a 2 day hoho bus pass. However, you will have to do a tunnel to get from the airport to downtown Boston unless you take a water taxi.

Boston hotels are very expensive. Would you consider Hotwire?

There is 2 of us. We realize hotels are expensive, would like to stay under 300.

How long is the tunnel? And what is the time frame ? Thank you for taking time to help us.

Well, you'll just be missing Head of the Charles, so hotels shouldn't be too hard. What are you looking to do in Boston? Unfortunately, I can't think of a way to avoid tunnels 100%. There will be a tunnel leaving the airport.

Well, you'll just be missing Head of the Charles, so hotels shouldn't be too hard. What are you looking to do in Boston? Unfortunately, I can't think of a way to avoid tunnels 100%. There will be a tunnel leaving the airport.

We are planning on the freedom Trail, Fenway Park, Boston Common, Faneuil Hall, Paul Revere House. Suggest any other sites I haven't mentioned. We are NOT nightlife people. Thanks for the info on the tunnel..... Guess I will have to suck it up! At least I am not forced to go on the subway!

My order of preference on Hotwire would be Back Bay, Quincy Market/financial, and Theater. There is a 4* hotel in back bay for about $230 which comes out in the high 200's when you add taxes and fees. There's also a 4* hotel in Quincy Market/Financial that's about the same price. I can't tell you what hotels these would be, but if they are 4* hotels they will be nice.

Both areas have access to the hoho trolley, which would be the way for you to get around. The hoho will also take you to the Constitution, over to Cambridge, and out to Fenway Park.

My order of preference on Hotwire would be Back Bay, Quincy Market/financial, and Theater. There is a 4* hotel in back bay for about $230 which comes out in the high 200's when you add taxes and fees. There's also a 4* hotel in Quincy Market/Financial that's about the same price. I can't tell you what hotels these would be, but if they are 4* hotels they will be nice.

Both areas have access to the hoho trolley, which would be the way for you to get around. The hoho will also take you to the Constitution, over to Cambridge, and out to Fenway Park.

Thank You so much.... I really appreciate it! If you think of anything else please post, as I will continue to check

Someone just booked a Hotwire 4* hotel in the Theater District for Aug 20-23 and got the Revere. Look at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1840992. This hotel is On the edge of the Theater District and Back Bay and a short walk to two of the trolley stops.

It looks like this same hotel is on Hotwire for your dates for about $250, which would be under $300/night. Amenities include boutique hotel, smoke free, indoor pool, tennis nearby, and a few others.

Please understand that there no guarantees as to what hotel you will get. But if you're serious about this you should make a decision. October is a busy month in Boston with ordinary business travel and college activities. Your Brilliance TA is very popular and will draw folks in for pre cruise sightseeing.

You can avoid the tunnels by taking the water shuttle, as mentioned, or take a cab and tell them to take the Tobin (I still call it Mystic River) Bridge. It's out of the way and will cost you more, but it is a way to get around (and over) the water.

You still end up in a little bit of tunnel with the Tobin.

Very hard to avoid tunnels in Boston, when the major highways were intentionally buried to go underneath the city.

I forgot about the City Square tunnel! Back when I did the Route 1 commute, it was all above ground except for that brief spot on Storrow Drive.

128 around the horn to 93 probably doesn't work,either!

I believe that 138east has in past recommended Marriott Copley Place in other threads about hotels in Boston. Because it is so close to stop #10 on the HOHO trolley and because we get a good Senior rate from Marriott, we have booked this hotel for 2 nights pre-cruise in June.

We had a cruise stop a couple years ago in Boston & planned to use the HOHO trolley, but since our port day was a stormy, windy yucky day we rode the HOHO circuit 2x but didn't get off anywhere -- for this upcoming trip, we look forward to utilizing the HOHO again!!

So I am posting this info here in attempt to help "wannacruisemore" who posted the question on her/his October stay in Boston.

As I recall you got a good deal on the Marriott Copley for June. Unfortunately the OP will be in Boston during the peak fall season, so hotel rooms are way more expensive. They are also on a super popular cruise. They need to make a decision now - October hotel rooms will probably become more scarce and pricey as folks make fall plans to see foliage, visit children at college, and attend sporting events.

• 2 weeks later...
Someone just booked a Hotwire 4* hotel in the Theater District for Aug 20-23 and got the Revere. Look at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1840992. This hotel is On the edge of the Theater District and Back Bay and a short walk to two of the trolley stops.

It looks like this same hotel is on Hotwire for your dates for about $250, which would be under $300/night. Amenities include boutique hotel, smoke free, indoor pool, tennis nearby, and a few others.

Please understand that there no guarantees as to what hotel you will get. But if you're serious about this you should make a decision. October is a busy month in Boston with ordinary business travel and college activities. Your Brilliance TA is very popular and will draw folks in for pre cruise sightseeing.

Here's what I did.... I booked with Revere, I paid over 1K for the 3 nights. (Oct 24th thru the 27th) At least I know where I am staying and I needed to get a cancellable rate. I will continue to look at better options. Thanks for your input!!

Here's what I did.... I booked with Revere, I paid over 1K for the 3 nights. (Oct 24th thru the 27th) At least I know where I am staying and I needed to get a cancellable rate. I will continue to look at better options. Thanks for your input!!

Try the Taj hotel - a park view king is about the same rate you're quoting from the Revere ($345 a night; it's $320 for a city-view, under $300 a night for an interior courtyard view), and if you click that link it'll take you to their promotions page (pay 10 days in advance, save $50 a night off the rates I mentioned). The location is superb especially for the places you listed you want to go, and I can confirm that while not cheap the service and food is top-notch (we were at a friend's wedding here and stayed on a few days).

You might be able to get a better rate (I don't know if they are on hotwire etc., but we booked our room for the wedding through JetBlue and saved $100 a night - so check your airline's offers).

• 2 weeks later...

The Revere used to be a Radisson. They did a great job remodeling it. They also hand you a glass of something bubbly when you check in :)

We didn't eat dinner there the one night we stayed, but went elsewhere. We did eat breakfast there (got a rate that included breakfast) and it was pretty good. There are plenty of nice restaurants in walking distance, and if you prefer a quick, cheaper breakfast, plenty of places to go.

We stayed in Boston a few years ago and I would highly recommend staying in the Back Bay Area as it is within easy walking distance of most of the sights tha you want to see (approx 30mins walk to most sites). We stayed at The Back Bay hotel which has recently been bought over by Loews. It is the old Boston Police HQ and has lots of historical significance but is nice & modern inside. The Cuffs bar downstairs is a great local bar and very sociable. They also offer specials.

http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Boston-Back-Bay-Hotel/specials

Archived