Carnival Formal Night 18 Year Old Male

andykndr

Hey guys, I have a question or two about what to wear at the formal night on the Carnival Liberty, which I leave on in 2 weeks.

I don't own a blazer or suit jacket or anything like that, but I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a guy wear a cardigan to the formal night? I'd like to think that I have a decent sense of style, but I never go ANYWHERE formal so I just haven't bothered to buy a nice jacket. I do have several cardigans that I like, and I think could look nice over a button down, tie, and some slacks. Would that be too casual, or do you all think it would be okay to wear one? Or should I just go button down and tie without anything over them at all, which seems kinda lame to me?

Also, a cardigan seems like it would be much easier to pack than a jacket of any kind.

I also lack nice shoes besides one pair, but they're pretty bulky and don't work too well on me since I'm 6'1" and weigh 145. I do have some brown Sperry Topsiders (pictured below) that might be able to work, but I'm kinda wondering if I need to buy some dress shoes?

So anyway, comments/thoughts/experience on these things? I may have more questions, but this is all that I've thought of for right now.

j-crew-nubuck-sperry-top-sider-chukka.jpg.58add7b0666af391499e21eb3fdc40b4.jpg

Not sure about Carnival but Royal Caribbean offers tuxedo rentals. This might be a great option for you if you are not wanting to invest in some formal clothing.

I had thought about that, but nobody else in my family will be dressed that formally. My brother will probably bring his suit, and my dad will wear a sports coat with the other usual attire.

EDIT: I also wear slim clothes, including pants, because of my body type. It just fits me better

Edited by andykndr

You'll be acceptable for CE night on Carnival. Men don't have to wear a tie or jacket though many will wear one or the other.

DH wears a Guayabera, Dockers and a pair of black walking shoes.

An idea about shoes---Back in the Stone Age (when Vans had only one or two stores) the fraternity guys would buy black slip-on Vans for the formal dances.

Since we had two dances a year it worked out well for them.

Edited by SadieN

Hey guys, I have a question or two about what to wear at the formal night on the Carnival Liberty, which I leave on in 2 weeks.

I don't own a blazer or suit jacket or anything like that, but I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a guy wear a cardigan to the formal night? I'd like to think that I have a decent sense of style, but I never go ANYWHERE formal so I just haven't bothered to buy a nice jacket. I do have several cardigans that I like, and I think could look nice over a button down, tie, and some slacks. Would that be too casual, or do you all think it would be okay to wear one? Or should I just go button down and tie without anything over them at all, which seems kinda lame to me?

Also, a cardigan seems like it would be much easier to pack than a jacket of any kind.

I also lack nice shoes besides one pair, but they're pretty bulky and don't work too well on me since I'm 6'1" and weigh 145. I do have some brown Sperry Topsiders (pictured below) that might be able to work, but I'm kinda wondering if I need to buy some dress shoes?

So anyway, comments/thoughts/experience on these things? I may have more questions, but this is all that I've thought of for right now.

I attached a photo of what my 18-year-old son wore recently on Adventure of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) which is actually a tad dressier than Carnival tends to be.

He was wearing black "Docker" type slacks, and on his feet he wore black "Vans" type slip ons. (My son has size 17 feet, so just picking up a pair of dress shoes for the cruise, was out of the question! :eek:;))

He fit in just fine. And on Carnival, there is not a "Formal" night....On Carnival it is called "Elegant" night, which I translate as being more relaxed than "Formal". I don't think you need the cardigan, just go with the shirt and tie! ;) You'll be fine!

Have fun!

1401642998_AdventureoftheSeas2013058.jpg.568da8ac34c7dab8c5d5ea182ebd15d3.jpg

Andy, just your asking this question tells me you'll be better dressed than most on the cruise, elegant night or not! And that's not a slam on Carnival - we actually do Carnival as much as the other cruise lines - but you'll find that the tuxedo dudes are few and far between. Most I've seen opt for a suit with a jacket at best, and many just a nice shirt and tie and pair of pants.

Don't sweat it, and don't invest in a new wardrobe. Your Sperrys and some khakis or other slacks with a button down shirt and tie will be fine. Have a large time!

Someone said don't invest in a new wardrobe. We all give advice from our life experiences. By the time i was 18 i had been to 10 - 12 weddings and around that many funerals and pallbearer at 4 of them. So i had suit jackets ties and nice shoes for those occasions. They were handmedowns but still. Around your age now i was buying dress clothes for those events. Maybe this is a good reason for you to get your first suit. You can go to JC Pennys and the are reasonable. However it seems with carnival whatever you chose to do will be fine. And it says something about your character that you asked.

Andy - the shirt/tie idea would be fine. No one is going to run in horror if you aren't all duded up for Elegant night ;)

If you think you want to do a jacket, try looking at the thrift/secondhand/consignment shops around you. Sometime, it'll all be junk, but sometimes you'll find a gem.

Kind of OT: I know everyone still refer to khaki pants as "Dockers". Dockers as a brand don't exist anymore. Levi Strauss ditched it. Some of our younger people here may not know what we are referring to with that slang. Maybe we can come up with another common name...

Kind of OT: I know everyone still refer to khaki pants as "Dockers". Dockers as a brand don't exist anymore. Levi Strauss ditched it. Some of our younger people here may not know what we are referring to with that slang. Maybe we can come up with another common name...

Good point about "Dockers" not being a common term for today's generation, however the brand does still exist in many major department stores and at dockers.com as well! I just bought a pair myself last week! :D

Edited by Bonnie Voyager

Dockers are still available in Canada. Quite popular.

Huh?

this news may comes as a surprise to the Docker folks.

http://us.dockers.com/home/index.jsp?camp=DRSearch

JC Penny

Macy

Khols

Amazon

Zappo

Walmart

on and on..

BTW, khaki is a color that is generally associated with chino style pants (probably left over from the military referring to their khaki colored summer uniform as 'Khaki's')

Edited by RockeyBullwinkle

I realize khaki is a color ... and I'm not arguing because, I mean, there are no shoes involved, but check out this page from Dockers Website ... and you'll find what Dockers (and soon to be DH and I) refer to as "khakis" ... in several colors.

http://us.dockers.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=12361448&ab=home_mneveriron_family_040913

But to get back to Andy ... dude, you'll be fine. Have a great cruise!

BTW, khaki is a color that is generally associated with chino style pants (probably left over from the military referring to their khaki colored summer uniform as 'Khaki's')

Edited by heyitsmejudy

I stand corrected. I thought when Levi got rid of them, they died. I guess someone may have picked it up.

On my most recent Carnival cruise, there was a decent mix for men's clothing. I did see several military uniforms and tuxes, as well as suits. There were also men wearing pants with dress shirt/tie or just the dress shirt.

Personally, i think what you describe will fit in fine.

And yes, Docker's are still around. My favorite work capris are Docker's brand and I got them at Kohl's just a couple of years ago :)

We were on Carnival in Feb. Our guys and teens all wore a shirt and tie and dark tennis shoes on Cruise Elegant night. Your Speery's are fine. No need to fill your luggage with a sport coat. I think the 2nd cruise elegant night the teens wore polo shirts. We saw no tuxes and only some sport coats but I don't remember seeing anyone in cardigans. If that's what you like to wear, just go have fun with it. I think they might frown on shorts in the dining room on the elegant nights.

• 6 months later...

on Carnival in the Caribbean an 18 yo would be perfectly fine wearing pressed chinos with a nice polo, button down oxford or an Hawaiian type shirt. clean topsider type shoes would be perfect. my son is 6'2" and 155 on a heavy day all I can say it's a good thing his mom can alter his clothes.