Zaandam vs Golden Princess vs Celebrity Infinity

cjsegninir

Hello everyone,

We're thinking on an Antarctica Cruise for next year and decided to pass by and kindly ask for your knowledge.

I know that for some a "Drive-by" cruise is not ideal, but the costs of an expedition cruise, plus my wife being afraid of some of the activities involved, the big ship experience is the only option for now.

So far, we have looked at the Zaandam, Golden Princess and Celebrity Infinity itineraries for early 2014 (Valparaiso to Buenos Aires, or viceversa).

We are a young couple (33 and 29 by then), with a few cruises done so far (All in Carnival). Never been to Antarctica, and not accustomed to cold weather. We always try to do as much as possible, both in ports and on the ship, so varied activities on board are a plus.

What is your opinion? Which ship/line is better for this kind of itinerary? And which one fits better for us?

Thanks in advance!!!

As far as Antarctica per se, it simply does not matter at all. Its a drive-by.

A drive-by is a drive-by. You won't be bothered much by the cold and

you can stay mostly indoors .. but do bring a coat to go out and

photograph. It doesn't get much below zero (F). You need a telephoto

lens for a dSLR or a superzoom camera.

Just choose the ship and the rest of the itinerary as you would any big-ship cruise.

Just don't expect much from Antarctica except lots of spectacular

but rather "same-ish" scenery and the random fly-by bird or swim-by whale.

Doug McDonald

What kinds of "activities" is your wife scared of ?

Maybe those of us who have done them can help to dispel her fears. In addition - no activity is compulsory.

There are some really good deals to be had in the lead up to the season when passengers final installments are due - many pull out leaving vacant cabins to go on sale at heavily discounted prices that are comparable to the big drive by ships.

PerfectlyPerth is right, especially about activities. Most activities consist

of walking into a Zodiac, motoring to shore, a 5 minute journey, and

climbing out to land. The only concern is that you have to wade, in

nice dry rubber boots, in 8 inches of water. On land you just walk around

a bit, as much or as little as you desire.

On the flip side, the small ships don't do stops at mainland ports.

Oh yes ... shopping! Strange as it may seem, there is actually souvenir

shopping in Antarctica. Its just T-shirts, coffee mugs, and penguin dolls, etc .

but it exists! There's even a single teensy bar (Ukrainian!).

Thanks all for your answers!

What kinds of "activities" is your wife scared of ?

Maybe those of us who have done them can help to dispel her fears. In addition - no activity is compulsory.

There are some really good deals to be had in the lead up to the season when passengers final installments are due - many pull out leaving vacant cabins to go on sale at heavily discounted prices that are comparable to the big drive by ships.

She si afraid of the cold, the zodiacs, walking on ice, penguins bites, :eek: Basically everything lol. Besides, she has an injury on one knee, and although she walks normal, she gets tired easily and can't take climbs.

What do you mean about heavily discounted? :D I like the sound of it! I know we shouldn't post rates here, but at least you can tell me in comparison with the bigger ships (Twice the cost? 1.5 times the cost?) Where can I see those discounted rates?

Thanks a lot!

If she is afraid of the cold, please consider going in January or February. No promises, but those times you're more likely to see single digits Celsius = 30s/40s Fahrenheit. We had that in November, but if you're playing the odds, wait later in the season.

I won't be as cavalier as to say Zodiacs are "no big deal", but if you choose to go on an expedition-style trip that offers Zodiac cruising and landings, here's what I would do: on Landing Day 1, have your wife go to the loading area not to board but to watch others board. Able-bodied people do it with ease, even those in their 70s, as they are firmly held and guided by the ship staff and crew. This isn't about goading your wife into doing something she's uncomfy with, but rather, once she sees the process with her own eyes, she'll likely come to her own conclusion that she can do that.

I'm disabled, and I managed. There is a tale on this board of a Hurtigruten expedition where a passenger was loaded on and off Zodiacs, wheelchair and all. (I was offered the option of a regular chair, a straight carry, or something of a sling. I thought it safer to make my own way.)

Most of the time you don't walk on ice, but on rocky beaches and rock-hard snow. If you choose to walk on ice, it's millions of years (and lots of feet) thick. Nobody's falling through anything ever. If, like me, you choose not to walk on ice, you still see all the wildlife as close as you like. Or from as far away as you need to be to feel at ease.

PP and DTVMcD have put things well.

As I think you've figured out, the penguins don't bite. On land, they move extremely slowly. I did have an Adelie penguin come up to me and peck my overboots. (There has been much complaining on the boards here about how whilst humans respectfully stay five yards away from penguins, the occasional penguin is just rude and will invade your personal space.)

I'm (in-)famous in these parts for claiming that drive-bys are a relative waste of time, but if I did have something positive to say about drive-bys, something we haven't fully addressed in this thread is Ocean Motion. There should be less of that on larger ships. On our trip most everyone took pills or patches, and most everyone was fine. But if a person is particularly prone to seasickness, a small ship to Antarctica is a bad bet.

If you have more questions, there are lots of people here who can help.

I know somebody who booked 2 months out (only) on G Adventures. Cost worked out at $350-$400 pp/dbl/day, excl air. We went with Lindblad, where deep discounts do not appear to be the norm.

She si afraid of the cold, the zodiacs, walking on ice, penguins bites, :eek: Basically everything lol. Besides, she has an injury on one knee, and although she walks normal, she gets tired easily and can't take climbs.

To answer her fears:

- surprisingly, it isn't as cold as you (or she) would imagine. You just need to dress in layers.

- Hurtigruten use Polarcirkels, not Zodiacs, to get you to shore. You basically walk into them rather than climb. Once at the shore there's usually a set of temporary steps to use to avoid walking in the sea. If that's not possible then the water isn't at all deep and the boots you wear are plenty high enough.

- there's no need to walk on ice if you don't want to. Many of the landings are onto beaches covered in pebbles. If you want ice or snow then it's often available after a short walk. If you don't like the look of the beach when you arrive then you can stay in the Polarcirckle and return to the ship. But you (she) will like the look of the beach when you (she) sees what's on it!

- we never felt threatened by the penguins. They are a delight to watch and are really inquisitive. As has been posted previously, humans must stay five metres away from them but, as the rules are not written and displayed in penguin, the penguins ignore this and walk right up to humans to take a better look. It's fun and an amazing experience. It's certainly not scary in any way at all. The only creatures that may provide a little anxiety are seal pups. They want to play. If you don't want to join in then just make yourself 'big' and they'll back off. Either that, or don't go near them in the first place!

- as often as not, there's no slope to walk up unless you really want to do so. Many of the landings are onto very gently shelving beaches and there's plenty to do and see on the beach close to the water line.

- once landed, you don't have to stay any longer than you want to. If you become tired you just take the next boat back to the ship.

As for cost, have a look at Hurtigruten for a deck three cabin (low down, mid-ship: don't pay to sway!) and check the price. Don't use their international flights, book your own and aim to arrive in Buenos Aires a couple of days early* and leave a day after you are scheduled to return. Then compare the cost with a drive-by. You may well be pleasantly surprised.

This really is the 'trip of a lifetime', except we're going back for more! If you can make it on an expedition trip rather than on a drive-by you won't regret it.

*Unlike most cruises, if you miss departure on this one there's no port you can go to to catch up and board! There's plenty to see and do in Buenos Aires and the savings you make on booking your own flights will more than pay for hotels and meals.

Thanks all for your answers!

What do you mean about heavily discounted? :D I like the sound of it! I know we shouldn't post rates here, but at least you can tell me in comparison with the bigger ships (Twice the cost? 1.5 times the cost?) Where can I see those discounted rates?

Thanks a lot!

Sorry but that sounds like she either needs an education or to stay at home while you take your dream holiday.

"Afraid of the cold" ? Seriously ? Thats what clothing was invented for.

"Zodiacs" - well once again - not compulsory but if I can sit with two little old ladies in their late 90s on them then what on earth does she have to be scared of ?

"Walking on ice" - mostly you will be on pebbly shorelines. And again - not compulsory.

"Penguin bites" - if she is close enough to a penguin to see that they have no teeth then she will be getting a severe telling off by the expedition team for not listening to any of the rules for shore landings.

"Bad knee etc" - I have done shore landings with people in their 90s and with my own dreadfully bad back. If you really want to experience something you put all of those issues aside.

To be honest it sounds like its more your idea of a destination and not hers. So send her off on what she calls her dream destination and do your own trip. No one says couples have to be joined at the hip for life.

For the special deals - sign up to get emails from the various companies like Quark, Hurtigruten, etc etc and was for the deals as they come through.

I have a suggestion as a trial. This only really works if you live in

certain places in the US.

Give her a try on a river raft of the right sort. In other words, on

calm water or no higher than class two rapids, preferably no higher than class one. The rafts used on rivers are similar to Zodiacs. For example,

if you live in the SE USA there are numerous rivers that offer

exciting class III-V trips for the adventurous, with age requirements of

12. But some of these rivers have flat sections with age requirements

as low as three, and offer "scenic" raft trips. In the west there are

day trips on certain sections of the Colorado and other rivers that

are Class II or lower. The rafts on the Colorado are

larger but getting in and out is the same. On smaller rivers of course customers paddle, but on the trips for small children, you don't actually have to. On the Colorado there are motors like on the Zodiacs. You do

want a rubber raft with seating on the side rather than in chairs,

to emulate a Zodiac.

Doug McDonald

Kids, kids, kids...

whilst I agree that an expedition ship with zodiacs (or similar) is the way to go, let's cut the OP's missus a little slack.

While I'm assuming facts not in evidence, OP's location is listed as Port-of-Spain, so his missus may not be that familiar with relative cold. I lived in the South Caribbean for six years and met many well-read, perfectly cultured people who had never seen real snow.

Mobility/health issues are a concern for some travellers. I'm one of these "You think I can't do it? Try and stop me!" disabled jerks. Other people are much more circumspect.

DTVMcD's idea of a trial run is a very good one indeed--not sure if it's practical in Trinidad.

PP does make a good point that this cruise just might not be the lady's idea of a good time. And on the facts PP is correct: 90-year-olds get into zodiacs. I've seen 'em. I was out in the Zodiac with one group where the naturalist offered to take us anywhere we liked, and an 81-year-old blurted out "Starbucks!". We didn't go to Starbucks, but I think he had a good time regardless (his 32nd trip to the ice post-retirement).

At any rate, if we can help, we're here to help. I trust you've been looking through other threads, OP, but DTVMcD, Dutch Diver, Xcountry, and others have all posted great reviews in recent months.

whilst I agree that an expedition ship with zodiacs (or similar) is the way to go, let's cut the OP's missus a little slack.

Thanks Shawino, you are very right.

Although I appreciate all your honest words and advice, I did feel a bit insulted by the tone of some of the comments above, which I don't plan to respond to.

I will certainly investigate a bit more and see if we can make it happen. Until then, I will stay in my bucket list.

Best regards.

No tone was intended - down under wit never seems to be understood by northern hemisphere residents.

But I was deadly serious when I suggested separate holidays.

I know many couples (who have been together over 50 years) who never holiday together because they have totally different interests.

I see no reason to force a grumpy partner to come along on something they are not going to enjoy.

And at the same time I see no reason to deprive yourself of your own dream holiday just because your partner wants to go elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

I did Veendam in January. Alone. DH didn't think 23 days away, ocean motion and foreign travel was his cuppa. As it turned out, he ended up in a new job without vacation time when the trip rolled around.

I was quite satisfied with out trip. No, I loved it and want to go back. DH may next time too, if there is a next time. And would consider both expedition ship and HAL.

We got 4 days of very different cruising. And a great onboard program from a 4 person expedition team. We had scenic cruising each afternoon and evening. We tried each morning but had lots of fog.

As a solo paying full price I spent half what my friend did with OAT. If I had booked after final payment and had a roomie, it would have been thousands less. But one never knows if it will sell out early so you can't count on that.

I'm finding many people are very interested in the trip and others just don't understand why I like Antarctica. So if your wife is in that category, maybe parts of the "drive by"/ around the horn would appeal to your wife. Glacier Alley and the Inside Passage were just as much an attraction for me. YMMV. And I also liked the idea of the ship being one that is inspected periodically by the coast guard.

I would love to hear from someone who has done both types of Antarctic cruises.

• 3 weeks later...
I did Veendam in January.

I did the Veendam in January as well. To give you an idea of what we saw, click on the "Antarctic Gallery" drop-down menu (upper left corner of the index page) at wattsphoto dot com. To see some photos of the rest of the cruise, click on the "South America Gallery" and "Penguin" under Animals -> Birds.

It was wonderful and spectactular!

If someone is afraid of things, I don’t try to get them to be unafraid. It just doesn’t work. I wanted to go to Antarctica and my wife said I could go, but she didn’t want to. I was getting ready to schedule and then a ship hit some ice and sank in the Antarctica area and she said maybe I shouldn’t go. I waited another 2 years and time cures a lot so I finally went by myself and it was one of the greatest adventures I have ever had. I could not keep up with the younger folks but I was pleased to be able to do what I could. The guide did not leave me alone since at anytime in Antarctica a wind can come up and sweep snow creating a white out and you are lost. The guides have GPS and radio communication so good safety factor. My ship was the Professor Multanovskiy and Antarctica XXI was the travel agency. I was never cold, and always felt safe. All the excellent liquor was complimentary but we were so busy with landings I didn’t have time for it. I had to rest at night for the next big day. No matter whether you go for a drive by or zodiac landings you will be impressed. I think the Orcas are smart enough to sneak up and scare you with a blow under the bow when they see a human there. Did me.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f6fe23a6e5a9ec3f&sa=494646589#cid=F6FE23A6E5A9EC3F&id=F6FE23A6E5A9EC3F%21118

Archived