Reserve Seats on Airline

FPJC03

We booked with an air deviation on Delta from Cleveland to Nice, France for October flight. Got booking number from TA, but when I called Delta to upgrade to Preferred Coach, they said that I would need to confirmation# for Delta in order to change seats. I did get a seat assignment in regular economy. When will I get the conf# from RSSC and be able to upgrade seats? Is it 75 days before departure? Thanks for any help.

What you need is the PNR for your reservation. If the TA can give you a booking number, she can give you a PNR. A reservation can't exist without a PNR. Every reservation has a unique PNR which is how you go about looking up your reservation on their website. With the PNR, you don't even need to call Delta. Just go online and look up the reservation yourself and pick your seats. If they cost more, which the preferred coach will, you pay online with a credit card.

I found that I was unable to get to my booking on Air Canada. This has not happened to me before. When I try calling Air Canada I can't get through even after waiting 20 minutes. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Keep calling (or waiting). It is a pain but that is the only way to book seats on Air Canada (just did it last week for a flight in September).

Thanks. That is helpful. I thought I was missing something. I left a call back number with AIr Canada. Yesterday they did not offer that option. They gave me a two hour time frame. That is better than tying up the phone for 2hours.

Ann

Your TA can get the locator number for Delta from the air department, although it is usually on the air itinerary, you just need to know what to look for. That is the same as the PNR number RachelG referred to, it is different than the Regent confirmation number. Then you should be able to call them or go online using that locator number and get it done.

Hopefully delta is easier to work with. The difficulty is that I was having with Air Canada is that the I D code was for Air Canada and their site does not allow you access unless reservation was made with them. A very unpleasant AC agent finally called back and said there was nothing he could do as it was a Lufthansa flight. I called Lufthansa and a very pleasant agent was able to help. The seats picked by Regent air were fine.

TA was having a very busy day so I just kept after it. Overall impression of Air Canada's customer service is not good. They are too hard to contact. I would not choose to deal with them if I had a choice.

Thanks one and all for advice and support.

OK, I called Delta and they said that the seats weren't TICKETED by the cruiseline yet. When that happens (75 days?), then we can upgrade our seat assignments. They were able to pull up the reservation but couldn't change our seats. VERY STRANGE.

We are on Mariner this Christmas and New Year sailing from Buenos Aires, flying BA from Heathrow and returning from Rio.

We upgraded through Regent to Super Steerage (or World Traveller plus to give it its official name) with no problem but BA couldn't reserve our seats until the tickets had been released by Regent, Regent wouldn't release them until we had paid in full - that will be 23 September.

We managed to resolve it eventually thanks to our TA and have now reserved our seats - just as well as there are only about 6 rows in this grade and flight on a Boeing 777

regards Alan

OK, so if I give them my credit card info to pay for the balance due, they will pay for the air tix and I can upgrade seats? Well, might as well pay now, instead of July. Have the funds, so would rather get a better seat assignment instead of waiting and not getting anything decent. THANKS for the info.

I'm a little puzzled as to why seats are not assigned. We booked a Med cruise for September this past March. We upgraded to business and paid deviation. We got our seats immediately even though the total payment is not due until end of this month. If I go to United website it reads "this reservation has not been ticketed and expires next day". Then, the next day United site reads the same thing except now is the next day.:)

I assume airlines and cruise or holiday companys are all different

Usually companies give me the Flight locator number then I can go to BA and reserve seats - BA charge £30 per seat per leg to reserve in advance of 24 hours. Usually we travel in steerage or economy to give its proper title

For Regent to South America in December - I paid the upgrade content but couldn't reserve seats until Regent released the tickets which would be on final full payment - end September. To get them released I had to pay the full flight cost plus some. Once they were released I had to pay BA £35 pp per leg on top of the upgrade

Another example we are going on a land tour in September with a UK company called Travelsphere flying to Denver and back from Vegas. I upgraded the flights to super economy and had to pay the full ticket price up front before they would release the tickets so I could reserve our seats

In both cases the flights are non refundable - but worth doing

regards Alan

I'm a little puzzled as to why seats are not assigned. We booked a Med cruise for September this past March. We upgraded to business and paid deviation. We got our seats immediately even though the total payment is not due until end of this month. If I go to United website it reads "this reservation has not been ticketed and expires next day". Then, the next day United site reads the same thing except now is the next day.:)

Believe the difference is the different policies of the various airlines. As was indicated above, BA charges for economy passengers to pay for seats more than 24 hours in advance while United will book seats prior to payment in full by the cruise line.

Check with the appropriate airline as to their policy before accepting them for your flights and avoid issues. Some airlines are better than others for different things.

Maybe different in the UK - I believe you have better cancellation policies over there, for example after booking a Regent cruise. Cancellation any time up to 90 days pre sail I lose my deposit (in this case £3000. cancellation 89 to 30 days pre sail I lose 50% full fare, 29 to 15 days 75% of full fare.

I always take the cruise line flights because of the added security. Mostly these flights are booked in bulk so I can't upgrade using frequent flier points, and there is no refund. Often especially at Christmas our airports have a lot of disruption and if I use the cruise flights I expect more help than if I booked independently.

If I booked direct with the airline they would let me pick my seats at the time of booking. Anyone with a very discounted grade fare or one provided by the cruise company has to wait for full payment (of the cruise) to be taken and then pay £30 pp per leg or wait to 24 hours prior when its free as part of on line check in

Alan

I checked with my TA and she said that when I make final payment next week, since i did an air deviation, she will ask for immediate ticket booking for the air. Then I can request the seat upgrade after that. Otherwise, it is 75 days before departure for final ticketing. Will advise once I get it all done.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE to the Airline ticketing with RSSC - I finally paid the balance with my TA on Friday, 6/14 and on Monday, 6/17 I was able to change my seats on the international leg to Delta Economy Comfort section. They give you more legroom, priority boarding with first class and FREE alcoholic beverages on the 8-9hr flights back and forth. It was an extra $79/pp each way but thought it was worthwhile. Great air itinerary, going from Cleveland to JFK to Nice. The return was Venice to JFK to Cleveland. Paid air deviation to get it, but almost all of the other flights had extra stop in Europe before the final destination. So it turns out to be a 12 hr flight total instead of 15-16 hrs.

Archived