No cabin number 2 weeks to go

casperthecat

I called Seabourn direct to see if I could pay for an upgrade but apparently the sailing has been sold out for weeks. Not sure why they waited until today to assign guarantee cabins. For 8 nights it's not a big deal, I was just spoilt by my V6 upgrade last time I booked a guarantee.

It's never wise to assume you'll get the same upgrade every time. And actually 746 ( I ssume that's the suite you're in) is a V6.

I hate to correct you but those two suites adjoining to the Winter Garden Suites are CAT V2.

Linclady,

Doesn't the skybar have a smoking area

PH 925 is almost next to the skybar.... given there are 3 of us....

Yes they do have a smoking area which is where all the sectional furniture is located. Also people can smole at the bar on the stools just not during lunc hours I believe or if someone is eating at the bar.

Apologies - you are right about 925. Inside the suite you would I am sure not notice smoke from the Sky bar, as there is a strong door between the outdoors and indoors, but I suppose you might notice it from your verandah (as you would if you had smokers in 923!)

I called Seabourn direct to see if I could pay for an upgrade but apparently the sailing has been sold out for weeks. Not sure why they waited until today to assign guarantee cabins. For 8 nights it's not a big deal, I was just spoilt by my V6 upgrade last time I booked a guarantee.

My guess would be that they were still hoping to sell it for a higher price?!

Yes they do have a smoking area which is where all the sectional furniture is located. Also people can smole at the bar on the stools just not during lunc hours I believe or if someone is eating at the bar.

At least on the Pride there was no smoking allowed at the Sky bar. Ever. The smoking area comprised the seats/tables aft of and on the starboard side of the Sky bar.

In this shot you can see the no smoking signs on the bar itself

DSC_0117-XL.jpg

So the actual smoking section is on the right side of this picture but not the bar itself.

DSC_0185-XL.jpg

At least on the Pride there was no smoking allowed at the Sky bar. Ever. The smoking area comprised the seats/tables aft of and on the starboard side of the Sky bar.

In this shot you can see the no smoking signs on the bar itself

DSC_0117-XL.jpg

Please the next time you are on ANY Seabourn ship again, ask about the SkyBar's smoking policy at the bar stools and you will see what I wrote is in fact correct. The ashtrays at the bar or Patio Bar on larger ships are never put out in the open. You must request one from the bartender or wait staff.

That shot wasn't taking during food service. Perhaps my cruise was an anomaly but the no smoking signs were always out on the bar (which seems to differ from the policy posted on the Seabourn site). I forgot one thing - depending upon who was bartending at night, people could smoke at the bar itself (although with the signs still present)

DSC_0077-L.jpg

That shot wasn't taking during food service. Perhaps my cruise was an anomaly but the no smoking signs were always out on the bar (which seems to differ from the policy posted on the Seabourn site). I forgot one thing - depending upon who was bartending at night, people could smoke at the bar itself (although with the signs still present)

DSC_0077-L.jpg

Correct no smoking suring meal service but anytime before or after people can Puff Puff to their hearts content!!!! ...stupid policy IMO.

We are on Quest out of Monte Carlo on Monday (dry dock permitting!) and last week were allocated a disappointing V1 on deck 5 on a guaranteed upgrade. It cut absolutely no ice with our CA or SB that this will be our 4th SB cruise in the last 12 months (!) and were allocated an upgrade to a V6 on deck 8 on the previous 3.

However, we have, aggravatingly, discovered today that, due to cancellations, there are still available suites on deck 8 but we would now have to pay almost 50% more to upgrade to one of them!

We are on Quest out of Monte Carlo on Monday (dry dock permitting!) and last week were allocated a disappointing V1 on deck 5 on a guaranteed upgrade. It cut absolutely no ice with our CA or SB that this will be our 4th SB cruise in the last 12 months (!) and were allocated an upgrade to a V6 on deck 8 on the previous 3.

However, we have, aggravatingly, discovered today that, due to cancellations, there are still available suites on deck 8 but we would now have to pay almost 50% more to upgrade to one of them!

I have never heard of a "Guaranteed upgrade" class of fare before. I have however heard of "GTY" which would mean you would be guaranteed a suite in that class you booked or one above, but not below.

Perhaps someone more experienced on SB can weigh in, if I am wrong.

A "guaranteed upgrade" on our 4 SB UK booked cruises is where we paid for an A grade Oceanview suite (no veranda) and are guaranteed a complementary upgrade to at least a V1 Veranda suite. This has equated to a V6 Veranda suite on deck 8. on our last 3 cruises hence our disappointment this time!

A "guaranteed upgrade" on our 4 SB UK booked cruises is where we paid for an A grade Oceanview suite (no veranda) and are guaranteed a complementary upgrade to at least a V1 Veranda suite. This has equated to a V6 Veranda suite on deck 8. on our last 3 cruises hence our disappointment this time!

I don't understand why you are disappointed. After all, you did get an upgrade.

Personally, I think that guests who pay for a V5 should have the first opportunity at an upgrade to a V6.

Oh I see thanks for the clarification, I am not familiar with this new fare class. We usually book a specific suite, so we know what we are getting from the outset.

Cruise lines like airlines try to reward frequent travellers with better upgrades so we have indeed been spoilt the last 3 cruises by receiving a V6 suite. Hence our disappointment this time when SB, despite being able to upgrade us to a V6 which they are very unlikely to sell only 3 days prior to cruise, have not yet done so. Our fingers are still crossed!

Cruise lines like airlines try to reward frequent travellers with better upgrades so we have indeed been spoilt the last 3 cruises by receiving a V6 suite. Hence our disappointment this time when SB, despite being able to upgrade us to a V6 which they are very unlikely to sell only 3 days prior to cruise, have not yet done so. Our fingers are still crossed!

Ah yes. But a great many Seabourn guests are frequent travelers.

Ah yes. But a great many Seabourn guests are frequent travelers.

Indeed, we only just have just over 100 days and are only Platinum Club Members which is nothing in the world of Seabourn travellers

We have been encouraged to book our 4th cruise in less than a year with SB partially because of the excellent upgrades they were giving us - but also, of course, because their product is really excellent. By disappointing us this time they could destroy our loyalty and we may consider another cruise line next time.

Are you sure that you are not confusing " guaranteed upgrade" as a booking class with a promotion that has been offered recently by SB through certain TA's providing a verandah suite for the same price as an ocean view suite? If so while you have been lucky in the past it is unfortunate you came to expect the same every time you booked. Rather than be disappointed you might want to look at is as, "Wow, we were given a big bonus 75 percent of the time." Not bad odds if you ask me. You know -- glass half full versus half empty.

I have booked GTY and specific suites on our many SB cruises and have taken the attitude, when the suite is important to me I will book the specific suite. Being upgraded on a GTY is nice and has happened but frankly I don't like to play Russian roulette with my cruise. We booked V-6 on our upcoming cruise for just that reason. If SB is now offering more upgrades to those who booked a higher class of suite then that seems to make sense to me.It does not mean they are discounting your loyalty.They will show their appreciation for that through the different levels of Club membership.

Archived