No cabin number 2 weeks to go

casperthecat

I do feel that Seabourn are now making a big effort to remedy this unfairness, and giving those who have paid more the chance of an upgrade at a moderate cost when possible. However, obviously extreme persistence seems to have paid off in this instance. Maybe some of us are too gentlemanly or ladylike, or just fair-minded?

There is clearly considerable misunderstanding on this forum about the OB-GTY fare, that is extensively marketed by SB through its CAs (and no doubt other cruise lines in the Carnival group), that I and many others book.

This relatively low priced fare is for an A grade Ocean-view suite BUT with a GUARANTEED upgrade to a V1 veranda OR HIGHER. The reason it is low priced is because we are not assigned a suite on booking but have to wait until just before the cruise to know where they are going to put us.

Quite understandably, many people do not want this uncertainty and prefer to pay more on booking to get the suite of their choosing. However, anybody in those circumstances can ask SB/CA after booking for an upgrade which, according to other people on this forum, can be had for a modest fee.

There is clearly considerable misunderstanding on this forum about the OB-GTY fare, that is extensively marketed by SB through its CAs (and no doubt other cruise lines in the Carnival group), that I and many others book.

This relatively low priced fare is for an A grade Ocean-view suite BUT with a GUARANTEED upgrade to a V1 veranda OR HIGHER. The reason it is low priced is because we are not assigned a suite on booking but have to wait until just before the cruise to know where they are going to put us.

Quite understandably, many people do not want this uncertainty and prefer to pay more on booking to get the suite of their choosing. However, anybody in those circumstances can ask SB/CA after booking for an upgrade which, according to other people on this forum, can be had for a modest fee.

Oh, I think we understand it very well. But many of us disagree with the levels of upgrade being offered as well as with the sense of 'entitlement' that some people purchasing it seem to feel.

I think that Seabourn needs to look at its upgrade policy so that guests paying higher fares are treated equitably. While I have no problem with the concept of paying for an upgrade, why should I have to pay to go from a V4 to a V6 (for example) when someone who has paid for an Oceanview is getting that upgrade for free?

Your are right, Roxburgh, but I do think they are trying. I have read previous messages where guarantee passengers were complaining that if they wanted upgrades they had to pay a lot - whereas on some cruises definitely SB are offering upgrades for quite a reasonable cost to those who have paid the 'full price' for their chosen suite. Obviously this particular person has been lucky before, but I feel it is less common now. Certainly hope so! Once on board I find it better not to know what anyone has paid, and by and large most people do not go around boasting about it. (Sadly, those who do are usually Brits).

Your are right, Roxburgh, but I do think they are trying. I have read previous messages where guarantee passengers were complaining that if they wanted upgrades they had to pay a lot - whereas on some cruises definitely SB are offering upgrades for quite a reasonable cost to those who have paid the 'full price' for their chosen suite. Obviously this particular person has been lucky before, but I feel it is less common now. Certainly hope so! Once on board I find it better not to know what anyone has paid, and by and large most people do not go around boasting about it. (Sadly, those who do are usually Brits).

Whilst i feel no ill will to the poster and hope their cruise is fantastic I totally agree with Lincslady. We have in the past booked GTY (though never heard of this particular type of Ocean view guarantee with a verandah upgrade, surely it is essentialy a verandah guarantee???) on a number of lines and been happy with wherever the cabin is. When for a particular cruise we have wanted the extra space or a particular cabin that is what we have booked and paid the going rate which I think is fair. Our next cruise we booked as a GTY but were contacted and offered opportunity to upgrade to a variety of cabins with various grades and associated upgrade charges, we opted for the mid range cost and upgraded to V8 which we are very happy with and with the total cost we paid (which was only slightly less than the original price when we booked)

I am optimistic that the poster had no intention of coming across the way he has on the boards, and can think of nothing more distasteful than people bragging on a ship about these types of things, it certainly does not make them popular !! Hopefully not all Brits are viewed in this way;)

Whilst i feel no ill will to the poster and hope their cruise is fantastic I totally agree with Lincslady. We have in the past booked GTY (though never heard of this particular type of Ocean view guarantee with a verandah upgrade, surely it is essentialy a verandah guarantee???) on a number of lines and been happy with wherever the cabin is. When for a particular cruise we have wanted the extra space or a particular cabin that is what we have booked and paid the going rate which I think is fair. Our next cruise we booked as a GTY but were contacted and offered opportunity to upgrade to a variety of cabins with various grades and associated upgrade charges, we opted for the mid range cost and upgraded to V8 which we are very happy with and with the total cost we paid (which was only slightly less than the original price when we booked)

I am optimistic that the poster had no intention of coming across the way he has on the boards, and can think of nothing more distasteful than people bragging on a ship about these types of things, it certainly does not make them popular !! Hopefully not all Brits are viewed in this way;)

I can assure you that I NEVER brag on the cruise about what I have paid for the cruise or upgrades I have been given nor am I in any way bragging on this forum. - which I thought was a medium for the passing of candid information about the realities of the cruise system!

It seems that there is an awful lot of bad feeling on this forum about the OB GTY fare system and a lot of resentment towards the large numbers of people, like me, who use it.

SB obviously go to great lengths to market it because it is very profitable for them and all those who believe it to be unfair need to express their views to SB and not criticize those of us who use it.

However, I have absolutely no doubt that the OB GTY fare system is a widespread policy amongst all of the cruise lines of the Carnival group and, therefore, I believe it is very unlikely that they will even consider modifying it.

I was no way suggesting you personally would brag (and I am obviously a Brit myself, or I would not have said this). I do not have any problem either with the guarantee system; my two slight beefs are a) you seemed to feel entitled to an upgrade on what Seabourn had 'guaranteed' to give you, and b) with others, I do feel that Seabourn should offer upgrades first to those who have paid quite a lot more than guarantee passengers.

I can see that it entails some work; they have to ask the passenger if they want to pay a bit more, then wait for their reply and payment, before they allocate the guarantee suites. I am not surprised if they ask for a considerable extra payment for a guarantee upgrade, as you have paid a fair amount less than those who chose their suite.

Again, I do believe what you are referring to is a promotion that SB has been running through many TA's on various cruises this year -- book the price of an A suite and get upgraded to a verandah free. The upgrade guarantee is to a verandah -- not from the cheapest verandah to a more expensive one.

Bludiving,

I always thought a V8 was a drink not a class of SB suites!(Maybe you meant a V6 on deck 8?)

Again, I do believe what you are referring to is a promotion that SB has been running through many TA's on various cruises this year -- book the price of an A suite and get upgraded to a verandah free. The upgrade guarantee is to a verandah -- not from the cheapest verandah to a more expensive one.

Bludiving,

I always thought a V8 was a drink not a class of SB suites!(Maybe you meant a V6 on deck 8?)

:p Oh yes ....lol this a V6 on deck 8.

It seems our fellow Brit has come in for some stick on here for his comments which as I said am in no doubt was not intended. I for one am looking forward to my cruise and tbh wherever I am located I am on the ship and enjoying everything Seabourn has to offer, I hope we all continue to enjoy this however we booked our space.

Thanks for being a good sport -- I thought for a moment maybe this was a new suite designation I might have missed. We love being on deck 8 -- so easy to walk out to the pool, Sky Bar and Sky Grill.And it is SB so how can you not have a great time? Sigh... we have three more months to go before our cruise.

Thanks for being a good sport -- I thought for a moment maybe this was a new suite designation I might have missed. We love being on deck 8 -- so easy to walk out to the pool, Sky Bar and Sky Grill.And it is SB so how can you not have a great time? Sigh... we have three more months to go before our cruise.

Exactly perfect location and very easy if you forget your sunglasses....

3 months will fly by....and by then we will be home and ours will be a distant memory :( ...until the next time :)

We have yet to meet a Brit who boasts or brags. Indeed, the Brits we have met are all quite modest and understated. It is, most unfortunately, often Americans who feel compelled to try to impress. We are not impressed.

I think the resentment stems from the OPs first few posts where he complained (whinged) that he had previously gotten better upgrades and that if that would not continue he might take his business elsewhere. That could rub some people the wrong way. When you book a guarantee you pays your money and takes your chances!!!!! The guarantee refers to the fact that you are guarantees a cabin of a certain level, not that you are guaranteed a big upgrade.

I can assure you that I NEVER brag on the cruise about what I have paid for the cruise or upgrades I have been given nor am I in any way bragging on this forum. - which I thought was a medium for the passing of candid information about the realities of the cruise system!

It seems that there is an awful lot of bad feeling on this forum about the OB GTY fare system and a lot of resentment towards the large numbers of people, like me, who use it.

SB obviously go to great lengths to market it because it is very profitable for them and all those who believe it to be unfair need to express their views to SB and not criticize those of us who use it.

However, I have absolutely no doubt that the OB GTY fare system is a widespread policy amongst all of the cruise lines of the Carnival group and, therefore, I believe it is very unlikely that they will even consider modifying it.

Lets not forget that steptohen has taken 4 cruises in one year. That is a lot of activity on his account in a short space of time, this may send a message to SB.

As an example, we can only do 2 cruises a year. That could send a message that we are 50% less useful to SB than him. We have been sailing with SB for 3 years and it has taken this long to achieve Platinum status. At his rate he will be a Diamond member very quickly.

Also, what is his onboard spend like? All these things could affect his upgrade.

Just some thoughts thats all.

Lets not forget that steptohen has taken 4 cruises in one year. That is a lot of activity on his account in a short space of time, this may send a message to SB.

As an example, we can only do 2 cruises a year. That could send a message that we are 50% less useful to SB than him. We have been sailing with SB for 3 years and it has taken this long to achieve Platinum status. At his rate he will be a Diamond member very quickly.

Also, what is his onboard spend like? All these things could affect his upgrade.

Just some thoughts thats all.

Ah yes .... but how long were the cruises and if he is only paying for an Ocean-view that somewhat mitigates the value :p

We have yet to meet a Brit who boasts or brags. Indeed, the Brits we have met are all quite modest and understated. It is, most unfortunately, often Americans who feel compelled to try to impress. We are not impressed.

Touche, Hobar!

Oh dear; I didn't intend to change this topic so much, though probably a good thing. As a Brit myself (who of course never discusses anything so vulgar as money!) I have noticed this habit amongst my fellow countrymen, but mainly to be fair on the more 'British' lines, like Cunard and dear old Fred. Olsen in years gone by.

Good chance of winning the Ashes, however.

Oh dear; I didn't intend to change this topic so much, though probably a good thing. As a Brit myself (who of course never discusses anything so vulgar as money!) I have noticed this habit amongst my fellow countrymen, but mainly to be fair on the more 'British' lines, like Cunard and dear old Fred. Olsen in years gone by.

Good chance of winning the Ashes, however.

These boards are like the game "telephone" when we were young (er, I mean younger), where a simple statement morphs into a entirely new statement.

These boards are like the game "telephone" when we were young (er, I mean younger), where a simple statement morphs into a entirely new statement.

You are right, Pop-I - probably time Dan took this thread off. I must take my share of the blame for it being somewhat controversial, and then going off message.

However, I am sure there will again be a thread for those who are new to 'guarantee' bookings and then wish to know more about when they will hear where they will be on the ship, which seems to be at any time up to getting on board. Just hope that any who get good upgrades will not crow about it!

Archived