Breakaway Balcony Dividers Snapping

The balcony partitions were a problem on the Trans-Atlantic. We had two notes in our cabin on two consecutive days saying they were doing inspections of them for whatever purpose and would be doing all the work solely from the outside.

Whose hair branded idea was it to build balconies out of plastic? Even the floor boards are plastic! The only metal components to the balconies are the supports attaching the plastic to the ship! Lightweight for fuel efficiency but foolish overall.

Plastic has a lower burn threshold and the Breakaway doesn't have ANY sprinklers on their balconies and yet they shoot off fireworks! Nuts? You bet ya... a couple of the rockets embers landed on Spice H2O during the 80s party on our voyage. If one of those goes on a balcony on the port side and someone should happen to leave something flammable out there... you'll have a Star Princess fire all over again. STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!

I really hope a re-design is in order... adding sprinklers and using metal for all part of the balcony. Oh yeah and more space for the balcony would be nice too! :D

Not surprised. The problem is on those large fully exposed forward M6 balconies on deck 8.

They were not inspecting the dividers on the transatlantic but rather the railings. It seems a few were not bolted on properly.

I'm guessing with those deep balconies the dividers catch wind like a sail. Perhaps they're going to have to be perforated so the wind can go right through, and be metal.

Hopefully they can fix them quickly or there will be another bunch of unhappy people boarding on Sunday.

When she left Southampton the sight was working since until tonight I was able to track her for three weeks straight day and night, now the sight does not show where she is its down or they purposely took her down or maybe due to bad weather she is down I not sure.

I would think they need to order parts, not sure if she take off tomorrow, they have to fix her and my question is where does NCL take their ships for drydock/repairs/refurbishment? I know other cruise lines take her to Freeport but where does NCL take their ships?

I could be all wrong but from the sound of things she needs repairs and the particians are a must the law up there states that they need to be closed when at sea, at ports they can be opened so I not sure what is going to happen. Guess they need to wait till she gets back to NY to access the damage. Lets just hope its not bad and everybody tomorrow get to go on her.

Not surprised. The problem is on those large fully exposed forward M6 balconies on deck 8.

They were not inspecting the dividers on the transatlantic but rather the railings. It seems a few were not bolted on properly.

The railings?:eek:

When she left Southampton the sight was working since until tonight I was able to track her for three weeks straight day and night, now the sight does not show where she is its down or they purposely took her down or maybe due to bad weather she is down I not sure.

I would think they need to order parts, not sure if she take off tomorrow, they have to fix her and my question is where does NCL take their ships for drydock/repairs/refurbishment? I know other cruise lines take her to Freeport but where does NCL take their ships?

I could be all wrong but from the sound of things she needs repairs and the particians are a must the law up there states that they need to be closed when at sea, at ports they can be opened so I not sure what is going to happen. Guess they need to wait till she gets back to NY to access the damage. Lets just hope its not bad and everybody tomorrow get to go on her.

What makes you think a half dozen broken balcony dividers could possibly require a dry dock. My guess a few passengers expecting to stay in one of those large balcony M6s will find themselves in different cabins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Plastic has a lower burn threshold and the Breakaway doesn't have ANY sprinklers on their balconies and yet they shoot off fireworks! Nuts? You bet ya... a couple of the rockets embers landed on Spice H2O during the 80s party on our voyage. If one of those goes on a balcony on the port side and someone should happen to leave something flammable out there... you'll have a Star Princess fire all over again. STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!

I'm really wondering what extra safety precautions they take due to the fireworks. Fireworks scare me enough on land...

From what I remember the original plans had clear glass. Maybe it was to have slats in it. Also these balconies were one of the last to have their dividers installed.

Our last cruise on the Gem 2007 we had sea spray coming over our balcony railing when we encountered similar weather going back to New York. We were on deck 10 Forward. So I can see how these balconies are taking a beating.

I also think that we have to remember that it is only one person reporting about the broken balcony dividers. He is a ankle issue and is not mobile so other than his immediate area he is guessing. It may just be localized to 5 or 6 cabins on deck 8 and that is it. Does not mean there are wholesale issues. When I looked up the marine forecast they are dealing with 12-15 foot waves and 40 knot winds. That is pretty harsh.

time2cruise1 maybe if there are empty cabins also you think the repair equipment is waiting for them in NY

My guess is they will inspect and if cant be fixed then the balcony will be off limits until part arrive. Pax will be pissed. Compensation and rightly so will be offered. Doubt there are cabins available for upgrades and downgrades wouldn't be appropriate unless the compensation was very generous

luvtheships- That's exactly what my other half says they probably do, but the question is where and when will they be fixed. Do you feel they would fix these problems in Bermuda, but that would mean getting the supplies and labor to Bermuda?

luvtheships- That's exactly what my other half says they probably do, but the question is where and when will they be fixed. Do you feel they would fix these problems in Bermuda, but that would mean getting the supplies and labor to Bermuda?

The will be fixed onboard by the crew and the Myer Werft workers still onboard. I would bet they have spare panels onboard and if not they will be on a plane already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

YIKES! This shouldn't happen on a brand new ship. :eek:

Teething problems should be expected the first few cruises.

It's a brand new class of ship and no matter how much computer simulations and modelling is done its not until it's used in real life can all extremes be tested.

On the trans Atlantic they came to my cabin about 10PM as they were installing pipe covers beneath all the sinks. Obviously someone had probably spotted it and they were rectifying it.

Archived