!!! BREAKAWAY !!! To Bermuda ^_^ Our Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

I agree Gambee should get something from NCL. I have been reading this review and just asked my TA to change my room to a better (and more expensive) one. Before reading it, I was actually thinking about canceling it and switching to an all inclusive resort instead. Not anymore.

Gambee - you are awesome! I love your writing style and you are a fantastic photographer. Thank you so much for all of your hard work on this review.

Thank you very much for your kind comment :), it is very much appreciated.

Cool Idea, but the problem is where to start it. And I am sure in the line that you start the poll, that review would win automatically. Any thoughts?

I think if we put in the general questions forum perhaps? Not sure on how to list the reviews though? Maybe put the not so obvious one first? I do agree that if it was put in one of the specific cruise line forums, it would probably end up being a very biased poll

EDIT: Maybe in the cruise discussion topics section under ask a cruise question and then post the link on each of your reviews? Just a thought but won't do it without your input or decision

Edited by Bugsy4271

Gambee, your pics are fabulous. Love the Cat Sailing, this is something I would have never considered and now I can't wait to do it!

Do you mind my asking - how much did it cost booking directly and do they only take cash or can you pay with credit card when you book these excursions directly?

Thank you so much for all of this info!

The cost directly through NCL was $80, and I paid $65 by doing in the little pink hut. Hmmmm, I don't know, I paid cash. But I want to say that I saw someone paying with a credit card, but not sure. Just bring cash just in case.

Gorgeous but WAY over priced. If you are ever in the Fort Myers area, stop in to the Shell Factory on Route 41. They also make hand blown glass there (right in front of you), much like the pictures above, for a fraction of the cost!

I am there from time to time, I might just have to stop there the next time I go. Thanks for the info.

You captured 2 of my most favorite places in the world in your specatular pictures; Manhattan where I lived until moving to Texas 10 years ago and Bermuda where I took 2 cruises. Bermuda will always be my favorite port and more so now with your amazing pictures.

Although I'll be sorry to see this incredible journey end, I'll be waiting for your Breeze review with much anticipation. The one I really want to see is a Gambee Quantum review!

Glad you loved the pics of both NY and Bermuda, we absolutely loved Bermuda.

I might do Quantum, but when it goes to Bermuda. Not sure it is worth it to fly to NJ, just travel back down to the Caribbean.

I went on May 26 cruise, right after Gambee so I din't have the chance to read his review before our cruise. So I didn't see half the places on the ship and in Bermuda that he has pictures of!!!

That's it! I've made my decision!

From now on I'm booking our cruises only AFTER Gambee takes the cruise AND posts the review I can follow!!!:D

Great review, wonderful pictures. :)

We did a lot to make sure we experience the most out of this trip, I actually felt guilty for calling it a night so early on a few days. But overall I feel like we got the most we could out of this trip, hopefully soon we can go again.

I think you would probably enjoy the Hot Glass show on the first three "S" class Celebrity ships. Personally I do care much for the glass show on "S" class ships and prefer the changes made with Silhouette and Reflection.

Regards,

Kevin " I have a pic of Gambee" Reid

Hi Kevin, actually I am not that much of a fan of the glass show. I just took that picture and moved on, I don't think I have the patience to sit there and look at someone doing that. I much rather the BBQ on the Silli and Reflection, even though I was not crazy about the food.

What is Slide Spider Mountain and the Breakaway Bounce? Are those for adults?

They are next to the basket ball course, I got pictures already, but I am not sure which day I posted them in. I am not sure they are for adults, Shaun threw me off and said yes, but then he said no. My guess is, no.

Great review and photo's. Since your from South Florida you need to try snorkeling at Looe Key (Bahia Honda State Park) Looe is one of the best places to go in the world. Hundreds of different fish and yes you will see a few reef sharks:eek:

I just might have to do it one day, it should be a short drive from here. Maybe I can drag Sarah along one day, thank you.

Your shoe story brought back memories.

When our kids were young, we spent a couple years sailing around the Caribbean on our sailboat. (Not a cat, but our next one was.) My daughter's shoe went over board one day while at Trellis Bay in the BVI. We tried to find it but could not. We asked some friends to keep an eye out for it and to save it for us if they did find it. We were heading to a different island. We saved that shoe for months. I finally threw it out because we were not planning on returning to Trellis. Well, 4 mos later we did return and our friends greeted us with the lost shoe, proud that they had saved it for us.

That is really cool that your kids got to experience sailing when they were young. I am sure they will cherish that for years to come, hopefully one day I can afford to buy one and travel around the Caribbean in it.

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Goodness, what an amazing review.

I just got off my own cruise this weekend and I'm trying to catch up with this review. I'm only on page 12 so far, but chucking along. I also ended up spending some time looking for that camera.

Welcome aboard . Glad to have you here.

Wow Gambee - I've finally caught up on page 60! :)

and wow what a review and awesome pics!

I know how much hard work goes into writing a review and posting pics as I tried to do a detailed ish review of my recent Jade cruise. I had a lot of problems with a very slow and not very well laptop and a photobucket site that kept crashing! Grrr! :mad:

The review is a little unfinished as I haven't completed the part of the holiday after the cruise when I stayed in Rome for a few more days so I am shamed to complete it now after reading your masterpiece!

The Breakaway looks very Epic like. I totally love the chandelier. I love the decor on both ships. I feel that's what let's the Jade down as the speciality restaurants just don't have that extra pzazz!

At least the Epic has proper balconies though.... those aren't balconies on the Breakaway.... I would just have to have an aft balcony! :)

I nearly had one on the Jade, perhaps the cruise after my next cruise or if I am lucky enough to have another cruise before my Azamara Quest one!

I certainly would never have thought of visiting Bermuda as a destination but it is totally gorgeous, the colour of the water is amazing... so that's yet another cruise on my to do cruise list! :)

Keep on writing and posting pics, really am appreciating it as are many others! :D

Photobucket also messed my pictures a couple of times, their costumer service is just pathetic. Good thing that it is all solved now.

I hope you have a great Azamara cruise, I am not sure ill ever be able to sail with them. But you just never know.

You should totally consider Bermuda, up until this trip we have little desire to go there. Now we can't wait to go back :)

GREAT point!! I'll have to remember that! The ships have aways sold me by saying the boat wouldn't wait for me unless I purchased through them. My hubby will insist we just buy through NCL but, our family of 4 would save $60 on this same tour by doing what you did.

Will NCL tell you how many people are booked on a specific tour so you're sure there will be others to guarantee the boat will wait if there's a delay in the tour?

Since we will be on the FL and Bahamas itinerary, I priced out the Disney World excursion. It's WAY to expensive but I'm wondering if we can purchase that one cheaper. I'll have to wait for the fall sailings!

As always, I'm LOVING your review....just WAY behind.

I don't think so, they might not want to share that info. But then again this was the case for this tour, I am not sure if all the tours are the same. But I guess you could ask the lady and see which tours are shared with NCL and which ones are not.

I can only imagine what NCL is charging for the Disney excursion, I would hate to be in that time crunch running.

Gambee I'm with you, I didn't like the rum cake in Bermuda either!

I am not sure what it was, but it was not as tasty as the other ones. I think it was a lack of rum, they were not moist enough.

Gambee, once again thank for your magnificent review I have enjoyed every word as well as every beautiful photo, I will be on Breakaway on August 4th, only sad thing is that I will be cruising alone for the first time and not sure if I will be brave enough to go to all the places I want to visit on my own. And you have made me want to see everything Bermuda has to offer. Thank you so much.

Margie

You're so very welcome. Don't be afraid, after this cruise I am convinced that I could easily travel alone in a cruise and have a great time. Just go to the solo meets and ask people if they have any plans, then just join someone and do stuff together. I think that is what I would do if that was my case. But in any case Bermuda is so safe, that you have almost nothing to worry about.

Have a grand cruise Margie.

I hear you. We had a Harley for a while but we live in rural Wisconsin so face a different kind of danger...DEER.

One Harley v. Deer incident was enough for me. Bike only had minor damage but we sold it. We both had helmets, leather jackets and jeans and I was wearing boots. The EMTs and Docs kept praising us for wearing proper gear. No broken bones for me but experienced road rash in several places. Very painful when cleaning the wounds and showering. It is amazing how the body heals itself...only minor scarring for me too. Riding was fun but too many variables you can't control.

Oh wow, yeah I have definitely grown to respect motorcycles. There are horror stories everywhere, I think most people know someone who has had a bad accident in a bike. I think I am done with them, I value my life too much to just risk it in that way.

The problem is that even if you're a safe driver, there are just so many more dangers that you have no control over.

Finally caught up in this review, can't wait to read the rest! I've read all of your reviews. Best review I've ever read on CC! Excited to read your Carnival Breeze cruise review in August. It will get me pumped for our cruise in November. Thanks for all your hard work on this!

Thank you for taking the time to read all of my reviews, glad you like them. We are really excited about the cruise on the Breeze, can't wait to try all those dinning options that they offer.

Gambee ... thank you for taking me along on the Breakaway!! I just finished Day 1 .... great job as always & you do a fantastic job with the pictures plus your descriptions.

My boss is on the Breakaway right now ... Hoping I'll finish the review (at least a good portion of it) before the boss returns.

You're very welcome, glad you like it :)

Gambee,

Great review! I finally caught up! Thank you for posting such amazing details through your photos. We will be sailing on the Getaway next May and its great to see an idea of what we have in store with the Breakaway!

Thanks again,

Mitch

Hello Mitch, thank you for reading the review. I am really interested on the Getaway, I am just waiting to see when the prices become more reasonable.

I hope you have a great cruise!

Hey Gambee, great review and pictures as always. We were in FLL over Memorial day weekend at the Riverside Hotel. I looked at everyone in a hat and said "I wonder if that is Gambee?". Drove my friends crazy!!! You are a star, my friend, complete with stalkers!!! Haha. Can't wait for your next review. I love how you are trying several different lines. Keep up the good work.

Lol, now that is funny. But I was not where near the Riverside Hotel during memorial weekend :D.. I guess you drove your friends nuts for nothing :D

Carnival here we come!

Oh, WOW. Took me almost 2 hours to catch up with every ones posts. If you noticed I did not reply to all of the Max comments, I think the feeling is mutual all around and we all feel the same :D. Plus I did not was to start a discussion over it.

I will now try to finish Day 6 and post it before work, not sure if I will make it. But I will try.

We kept on walking and decided to walk around that area since we had not been there yet. This is by the way the path you take to go to snorkel beach. From what I heard about snorkel beach, it was a good beach. The one complain I heard was that it was very expensive to rent chairs, umbrellas and also the food. Someone told me that snorkeling was also pretty good, I might try it next time. I think the price of admission for the day time is $5.

DSC09166_zps0e26e461.jpg

Looking back at the rum factory/glass factory.

DSC09167_zps59a48f7d.jpg

The entrance to snorkel beach,

DSC09171_zps55030de8.jpg

You all know that mom loves these trees.

DSC09172_zpsf3d2be0e.jpg

DSC09173_zps0a8db747.jpg

DSC09174_zps3be4727a.jpg

We then stopped and checked the internet one last time before saying good bye to Bermuda.

Here I want to touch base with Julie our CD, so by now you all know that my experience with her personally was not the best. I mean it was not bad, but I believe that she could of done more for me. Anyway, do you want to know why I say that Julie is possibly the cruise director ever?

Well look at this picture! That is her in the stilts dancing away. Please note that the sun was hot as hell that day and I bet she was there for a very long time. I have to give it to her, she does a great job. Not only that, but the amount of positive energy that she radiates is just massive. Great job Julie, my fedora goes off to you :)!

DSC09190_zps6a97c487.jpg

And here is the video of her, please you have to watch it.

I know I am horrible at video, but at least you get the idea of what I am trying to express.

I forgot to mention that while I was down by the dockyard I talked to a very nice handicapped lady. We discussed the ship for a little bit, and she told me that the ship is very handicap accessible. She was very happy with how easy it was to get around all the different areas of the ship.