Who gets gratuity on bottle of wine in MDR

mouseterd1

I was told recently that the head table waiter soley receives the gratuity on a bottle of wine ordered in the MDR. Any truth to that?

Then more broadly, my next inquiry would be, who receives the gratuity paid on any liquor ordered at any venue aboard?

I'm just curious. It may make me rethink some of my 'extra' tipping. Thank you.

It's not unusual for the bar staff to tip out the wait staff on bottle sales in a dining room, but as far as I know its not standard procedure. DR Staff may get a bonus on sales as well.

I was told that the waiter gets half and the other half goes to the bar staff.

I'm not sure why it would impact your "extra" tipping. Either you received service that was above and beyond, calling for added recognition and recompense, or you didn't. Who gets what behind the scenes is really immaterial.

And for your information and the information of many here who apparently have never waited at table or bar, tipping-out is industry standard practice. It's nothing suspicious; nobody's rightful compensation is being confiscated. If Princess didn't operate some kind of tipping-out system in line with every other food-service entity, I'd be very surprised.

I'm not sure why it would impact your "extra" tipping. Either you received service that was above and beyond, calling for added recognition and recompense, or you didn't. Who gets what behind the scenes is really immaterial.

Bingo! Why people worry so much about who gets what is entertaining at best, and none of our business.

Bingo! Why people worry so much about who gets what is entertaining at best, and none of our business.

I guess with ordering drinks in the MDR, if the gratuity isn't going to your waiters at all but if you leave EXTRA then that goes directly to them might influence some people to leave more? I don't know, we bought wine at multiple places and I just gave the waiters extra at the end as it was easier. I'm not sure where the gratuities or per diem charges go but I wanted to make sure they got a bit extra for taking such good care of us and being so friendly and great the entire cruise.

That's in line with what I have heard, on some voyages it may vary a bit based on seniority (if a ship has a surplus of senior level waiters some work as juniors)

This is for percentage of hotel charge only. Anything additional is kept if auto-tip is on, and its up to the teams to determine their split.

This does not include alcohol. It should be noted that there ae members of the bar staff on duty in the galley to prepare drinks and handle wine, the wait staff only delivers it.

Waiter get 50%

Jr. Waiter gets 15%

Buffet staff shares 35%

plus whatever promotion the MDR is running, usually will be for time off to the highest sellers of whatever goal they are trying to reach/meet.

Archived