Melbourne luggage storage?

We're on the Oosterdam repositioning from Seattle to Auckland stopping in Melbourne in October for a day before the ship continues to NZ.

We will be returning to Australia after a few weeks in NZ and are wondering if you can recommend a hotel or storage facility that can hold several bags until we return. We will be staying many months in Australia (yippee!) and plan on purchasing a vehicle once we get back to Melbourne. We won't need much of what we're bringing for our NZ portion.

I thought we could take the unneeded big bags off during our day in Melbourne. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions? I understand there is probably a charge. If you recommend a hotel we would plan to stay there upon our return for a week or so until we get sorted.

Thanks in advance! I can't wait to return to your beautiful country for this trip of a lifetime!

I thought we could take the unneeded big bags off during our day in Melbourne. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions? I understand there is probably a charge. If you recommend a hotel we would plan to stay there upon our return for a week or so until we get sorted.

Thanks in advance! I can't wait to return to your beautiful country for this trip of a lifetime!

The main railway station, Southern Cross, has lockers available at $10 - $16 per 24 hours depending on size. Google will give more info. The 109 tram from Station Pier goes direct to Southern Cross. Enjoy your visit to the land of OZ. :)

My suggestion is to book a hotel for when you return to Melbourne and ask them if they can store your extra luggage in their luggage storage room. In my experience, a hotel you are booked into will do this for free, but you would have to ask.:)

...and as another matter. If your not already aware you cannot 'just' take bags off the ship (small little backpacks and handbags obviously an exception) without permission.

On our Solstice cruise, in both New Zealand and Australia there were explicit instructions that any luggage being taken off had to be cleared via Guest Relations with local Customs and Immigration.

I am not aware of the complete reasons but it could range from drug and food checks to ensuring you were not bringing in 'commercially saleable' goods and trying to get around duties and taxes to even being illegal immigrants trying to jump ship.

TBH , in answer to your other question I am not immediately aware of any 'longer' term luggage storage apart from the airport and railway station left luggage which is usually, due to pricing, not more than a few hours to a day or two.

Edited by 6andy6

In January we unloaded luggage in Melbourne (we were nearing the end of a 4 week holiday - including two cruises - and our car was in Melbourne). We had to let the cruise line know a couple of days in advance and had to be up very early to present the luggage to customs (about 6am from memory). It wasn't too difficult. There were dozens of people off loading luggage ... both passengers and crew.

Regarding the advice about the lockers at the station - I very much doubt that you would be able to leave your luggage at in the lockers at Southern Cross for that long. From my hazy memory of the last time I used the lockers, maximum time for locker hire is 7 days.

I would imagine that most 4* or better hotels would look after your luggage, providing you let them know before hand.

Good Luck ...

• 6 years later...

We caught the boat to Tasmania and were faced with the same problem due to the check out of the Airbnb at 10:00am and the ship setting sail at night.

We found lockers at Southern Cross was our only option until we found Bag Boyz.. They picked the bags up from the Airbnb, held the luggage for the day and then dropped off the luggage later in the day. 

They even dropped off on the pier.

This seemed heaps better than heading into the city and then dealing with the bags on the tram at the end of the day. Not to mention the kids.

Highly recommend.

https://www.bagboyzbagboyz.com

Not sure where they operate, we were in Elwood.

You could consider hiring a self storage unit about 1.5metres x1.5 metres or smaller.

In WA you can hire one from as little as $80 AUD a month, with the third month free.

I suggest you google "small storage unit hire Melbourne" and see what you can come up with.