Vancouver/Gastown/China Town

Kreg13

Any recommendation for diner? I have seen a few reviews mention large numbers of homeless/drug addicts roaming the streets. I am not worried about them approaching me but I don’t want to subject my wife to them. We had planned on walking the few blocks from the hotel.

Thanks

where's your hotel at? what is mode of your transportation (car, walking, bus)? I know Chinatown quite well. Also the Canada forum on CC has a few excellent local experts who provide excellent feedback as well.

I live in Vancouver and I will not go to Chinatown for dinner. Simply no good Chinese food there. Gas town has it's character and has some excellent bars and restaurants but frequented by drug addicts and homeless people. Chances are you will be bothered by them at night. No real danger but why subject your wife to that. I assume you live close to the port. I recommend you go to Granville street for casual dinner, this is the entertainment district in Vancouver. If you like to treat your wife and yourself you can go to area around Thurlow and Alberni for some higher end restaurants. Both above are within walking distance from the port. Or you can take the subway for a couple stops to Yaletown you will find some nice places there.

We've been living in Vancouver for three years now. I would whole-heartedly recommend a dinner in Gastown. Recommendations include L'Abbatoir, Water Street Cafe or the Pourhouse. If you chose not to go then I would recommend the Oru at the Fairmont Pacific Rim, the Teahouse at Stanley Park or Blue Water Cafe/Raw Bar. Further afield you could go to Vij's or Rangoli next door (Vij is a local celebrity and runs both of them), Sandbar on Granville Island or Seasons in the Park. Also lots of good restaurants on 4th Avenue in Kitslano. I would avoid the 'Entertainment District' pretty tacky, dirty and full of drunkards IMHO. Enjoy!

We've been living in Vancouver for three years now. I would whole-heartedly recommend a dinner in Gastown. Recommendations include L'Abbatoir, Water Street Cafe or the Pourhouse. If you chose not to go then I would recommend the Oru at the Fairmont Pacific Rim, the Teahouse at Stanley Park or Blue Water Cafe/Raw Bar. Further afield you could go to Vij's or Rangoli next door (Vij is a local celebrity and runs both of them), Sandbar on Granville Island or Seasons in the Park. Also lots of good restaurants on 4th Avenue in Kitslano. I would avoid the 'Entertainment District' pretty tacky, dirty and full of drunkards IMHO. Enjoy!

Lots of good information here!!

Thank you.

I live in Chinatown...we have a condo and it is a wonderful place to live. Gastown is great for meals. If you want cheap and cheerful go to The Old Spaghetti Factory. As mentioned above, there are lots of great restaurants. Don't be fearful, just use some sense and you will be absolutely fine. Take a cab over to Yaletown for other choices. Gorgeous city Vancouver. I walk to work every morning through Chinatown and Gastown and yes there are lots of people less fortunate than me but they never make me feel intimidated.

Nicola

It's not quite in Gastown but is very close - The Steamworks Brewing Company. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Old Spaghetti Factory. It is a cheap meal and you do get a lot for the money, but it's not that great.

It would help to know which hotel you plan to walk from.

Any recommendation for diner? I have seen a few reviews mention large numbers of homeless/drug addicts roaming the streets. I am not worried about them approaching me but I don’t want to subject my wife to them. We had planned on walking the few blocks from the hotel.

Thanks

After talking with one of our friends/fellow Cruise Members and her mother this past Saturday while watching Zuiderdam cruise from Vancouver, without us aboard, there is no way in Hades that I would be caught dead in Gastown. She took her 88 year old mother there and around various parts of the city and stated that I'd not believe the drug sells going on right on the streets. I asked, "Legal?" and she said, "Definitely Not!!" She said they were everywhere in that area of town......... She will write about it in her review after she gets home to the UK in a few days.

Sorry Vancouverites, I know you love your city, but I aint gonna recommend it to anyone that I care about.

I do recomend a great little Italian place rihgt there at the port. IT is right next to a Subway. They have a great Full breakfast 2 eggs, bacon (the best I've ever eaten), toast and home fries for $10.99. Dinner we had seafood linguini for $16.00 each and could not eat it all. Food was awesome and served wit h great efficiency and absolutely great service and tast:)

Joanie

That Joanie, is an outrageous thing to say. Vancouver is a very safe city. My parents are both well into heir 80's and live in the Uk and have no problems walking around Chinatown or Gastown in the afternoon or evening when they come to stay with us. But to say no way in "Hades" is a truly bad thing to say. Just use some common sense.

Every city has it's share of homeless people. They say good morning to me every morning when I walk to work. Just be polite.

Nicola

I was just starting to research some good restaurants within short walking distance of the Pan Pacifica Hotel. We like most everything - seafood, Italian, Portuguese, Greek, German, Thai, Japanese, American, etc. Haven't done French in ages. I like Indian, but my wife can't handle curry. Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be any of those listed, but it can be. Thanks.

I live in Vancouver and I will not go to Chinatown for dinner. Simply no good Chinese food there.

I respectfully disagree. Hon's Wonton house on Keefer is a Vancouver Chinese food institution. Of course, it has a branch on the hip Robson Street. There is a decent dim sum restaurant, numerous desert/snack houses. All extremely reasonable and delicious.

Joanie, sorry to hear about your friends' experience, but one has to keep in perspective. Vancouver East End (abutting Gastown) is the most drug, crime ridden section in the whole of Canada, but compared any of the venable America Metro from LA, Chicago to NYC. It is still rather safe with regard to violent crimes. I have no qualm walking there alone, but I can't say that for most American cities' worst neighborhood.

I respectfully disagree. Hon's Wonton house on Keefer is a Vancouver Chinese food institution. Of course, it has a branch on the hip Robson Street. There is a decent dim sum restaurant, numerous desert/snack houses. All extremely reasonable and delicious.

Joanie, sorry to hear about your friends' experience, but one has to keep in perspective. Vancouver East End (abutting Gastown) is the most drug, crime ridden section in the whole of Canada, but compared any of the venable America Metro from LA, Chicago to NYC. It is still rather safe with regard to violent crimes. I have no qualm walking there alone, but I can't say that for most American cities' worst neighborhood.

My friend, and fellow Cruise Critic member will be home late today. I am sure that she will be posting her review as soon as she and her mother are rested up from their extended vacation time in Vancouver.

I am sorry if I offended any one. That was not my intention, but I did relay exactly what I was told and am sure the OP wanted to hear the truth of what was said just this past Saturday, not only to me, but to other Cruise Critic friends that were Port Side when she said it.

The OP asked for information because he was concerned, and I gave him the info I was given.

I am the messenger and as such understand that my hand can and often is bitten, but I highly respect the person, and her mother, and if they said it was so, then I believe them 100%.

As stated, there is similar going on in each city/town, but to deny what was seen done so openly on the streets and to not warn others is not fair to anyone.

Just as I would never ever venture into the Haight Asbury Section of San Francisco, the South Valley, Bario and the War Zone (renamed International district a few years ago, in the hopes of improving its reputation,) in my own town of Albuquerque, I will not go where these reportings happen in broad day light.

Joanie

It's not quite in Gastown but is very close - The Steamworks Brewing Company. Personally, I'm not a fan of the Old Spaghetti Factory. It is a cheap meal and you do get a lot for the money, but it's not that great.

It would help to know which hotel you plan to walk from.

I enjoyed the Steamworks bothtimes I've eaten there--this month pre-cruise and in 2010 post-cruise. It is about a 5-10 minute walk from Canada Place. A bonus--there is a nice wine store right next door if you need any pre-cruise wine purchases.

Gastown/China town has many fabulous restaurants - the Water St Cafe and Hons have already been mentioned, and Hons is likely the best authentic Chinese food you will get anywhere. Both areas are very safe. However, wander a couple blocks too far and yes you will find yourself in the midst of what is likely the worst area in Canada for homeless/drug dealing/prostitution. It is our shame. Having said that, I've had to walk through the area when I worked downtown, and I never felt personally threatened. Those poor souls are just looking for their next fix, some food.

Vancouver is a multi-cultural city, with restaurants to suit all tastes, and it's beautifully scenic. Don't judge it by those few blocks in the downtown eastside. I've seen the same in other cities in the world.

After talking with one of our friends/fellow Cruise Members and her mother this past Saturday while watching Zuiderdam cruise from Vancouver, without us aboard, there is no way in Hades that I would be caught dead in Gastown. She took her 88 year old mother there and around various parts of the city and stated that I'd not believe the drug sells going on right on the streets. I asked, "Legal?" and she said, "Definitely Not!!" She said they were everywhere in that area of town......... She will write about it in her review after she gets home to the UK in a few days.

Sorry Vancouverites, I know you love your city, but I aint gonna recommend it to anyone that I care about.

I do recomend a great little Italian place rihgt there at the port. IT is right next to a Subway. They have a great Full breakfast 2 eggs, bacon (the best I've ever eaten), toast and home fries for $10.99. Dinner we had seafood linguini for $16.00 each and could not eat it all. Food was awesome and served wit h great efficiency and absolutely great service and tast:)

Joanie

Hi Joanie,

I have just, involuntarily, spent 29 days in Vancouver and I felt entirely safe all of that time. I am 71 years old and much of the time I was on my own, walking in the streets and using public transport.

After our cruise ended on May 1st, my DH was taken ill and I had to call 911. He was admitted to St Paul's Hospital and spent 11 days there. We then had to stay a while longer, to make sure that he was stable, and well enough to undertake the 14-hour flight back to New Zealand.

Because we did not have hotel bookings for that length of time, I had to move hotels three times. All of the hotels were very helpful.

St Paul's Hospital is not in the usual tourist part of Vancouver; it's the centre for HIV and AIDS research, and is in an area where the shops fly the rainbow flag. You get my meaning? Each day, I walked to the hospital in the morning and back to my hotel in the evening.

Yes, there were beggars in the streets, but I never saw any drug deals and I didn't feel threatened in the least. I even had a daily chat with the beggar who held open the door for everyone outside the 7-eleven. I didn't feel unsafe when I went out to the local restaurants for my evening meal.

While my DH was recuperating after his discharge from hospital, we did the HOHO trolley tour and stopped off in Chinatown and Gastown. Chinatown was a bit unintersting, but we enjoyed Gastown. We didn't see any shady characters or any drug deals.

Having our holiday plans disrupted was not pleasant, but I can't speak too highly of the way that Vancouver treated us. We experienced kindness and helpfulness from everyone: from the hotels whose staff helped me to find alternative accommodation, to the taxi driver who advised me on the best way to get from A to B, to the bus driver who took me 2 stops so I could connect with the right bus, to the excellent medical and nursing care my DH

received.

I just had to stick up for Vancouver! :)

In late September we will be staying one night at the "Ramada Limited" on Pender St. Is there a decent restaurant within walking distance that can be recommended? We don't need anything elegant! Just a good place to have a nice dinner for a couple of seniors.

RonJoan

"In late September we will be staying one night at the "Ramada Limited" on Pender St. Is there a decent restaurant within walking distance that can be recommended? We don't need anything elegant! Just a good place to have a nice dinner for a couple of seniors."

I know that Joanie would not agree, but honestly RonJoan, your hotel is so close to Gastown that you would have a selection of lovely restaurants to choose from in all price ranges. I suggest that you Google your hotel and a Google map will pop up showing you exactly how to get to Water Street (Gastown). It is a short (very safe) walk. Once you get to the end of Water Street and have seen the Gassy Jack statue, just walk back up the street. Lovely shops, trees and the Steam Clock.

I must admit that I am disappointed that someone who is so respected on this board would be so against an area without ever having visited. Second hand information is just that, second hand. You truly would have loved Gastown if you have visited Joanie. Your friends unfortunately deviated from the usual tourist path and ended up in a portion of the city not that great.

I presume that you visited Granville Island, English Bay, False Creek, Stanley Park and Coal Harbour and saw our amazing Olympics torch? It is a truly glorious city and if you haven't visited any of the above before, I hope that you come back and explore.

Nicola

Perhaps people can use my first-hand experience - posted above - to balance the bad report that Joanie's friends gave her?

Vancouver is a beautiful city and I would recommend it to everyone. As has been said, there are bad areas in any large city, and I'm sure you could find the bad and seedy if you go looking for it.

Apart from my husband's illness and the worry it caused, my impression of Vancouver and its people was wholly positive.

We stayed at the Fairmont a few weeks ago and wanted an Italian meal for dinner. The hotel recomended The Italian Kitchen so we walked there and it seemed good but didn't look very authentic. By accident we found Scoozis at 445 Howe Street which we had actually eaten dinner at about 4 years before. It was still a good Italian meal and the same owner serving us. The soup is very filling so perfect if you only want a light meal and they also do pizza. I think they are open for breakfast & lunch as well.

The homeless people we saw in Gastown did not approach us. Love Vancouver, it is a beautiful city!

When we visited we stayed at the pan pacific. We had a lovely time on Water Street in gas town and walked the sea wall westward. We rented bikes and rode Stanley park and to Granville island.

My bright idea- we decided to see more and started to walk to Chinatown. We got about 5 blocks and thought better and turned around. We passed several people smoking pot openly, and a woman cooking drugs under an umbrella on the sidewalk. One guy was following us. In the future we won't be walking to Chinatown. We'll enjoy water street.

I do have reason sometimes now to go into areas that are high crime/ risk and where drugs are openly used, sometimes for work (part of the job- and I'm talking about in homes) and sometimes for shopping for specific things. It isn't uncommon for someone to ask me to take them to LAFabric district or Flowermart. There are some people that I just won't take with me: if they don't pay attention, if they present themselves as a target- they are not going with us.

Thanks for all the input! I have loved Vancouver every time I have visited and take certain reviews with a grain of salt. It’s nice to have firsthand information and looking forward to China Town and Gastown. I don’t have the look anyone would ever approach for anything but my wife is a soft touch. It’s a good balance… the Yen and Yang.

We are looking forward to our trip to Vancouver this fall. We're staying at the Pan Pacific for a couple of nights and would appreciate any restaurant info, especially seafood. Although DH insists we check out Tim Horton's :)

I'm from Vancouver. Maybe a little info will give a bit of perspective. Vancouver has the largest homeless population in all of Canada due to it's mild winters.

Like all cities, we have our good and our bad. Just so happens the good is right beside the bad. Literally. One street is Gastown with all it's charm and history and tourist attractions and the next street over is the Downtown Eastside, the name of the area where many homeless people live. In general I would say everyone coexists well. My friend and her family of young children live in the area. She has only once ever felt the need to shield her child from anything that was happening.

Gastown is walking distance to Canada Place where the cruiseship terminal is. It's a cool place. I wouldn't skip it because of what is on the next street. Lot's of history, cool steam clock, great for a photo! There's good Chinese and asian food all over vancouver. No need to stick to Chinatown for it.

I suggest doing your research, figuring it out and be informed so you are not surprised but there is no need to be afraid or avoid it. The most you'd probably get is someone asking for money (happens all the time and that can happen anywhere anyways).

Hope that helps. Gotta defend my city. :)

We flew into Vancouver this afternoon and in spite of the wet sunshine we are enjoying the city. Wifey felt a little intimidated by some of the homeless, but I barely took notice since I work in Washington, DC and am use to it. She on the other hand is not use to seeing homeless folk on the streets. All a matter of perspective and what you are accustomed to I guess.

Archived