Vancouver/Gastown/China Town

Kreg13

Joanie is, I think, relaying the conversation she had with my Mum and I at Canada Place and she did not misquote me at all. We may well have led rather sheltered lives here in the English countryside which colours our judgement somewhat, but we did not enjoy our walk around Chinatown the Saturday afternoon we disembarked. There were many homeless wondering the streets with their shopping carts, but what shocked us most was the drug dealers operating openly that we encountered on a number of the street corners. We needed to wait at the corners for the crossing signals and Mum felt very uncomfortable.

I think our shock was partly in relation to the fact that this was happening within ten minutes walk from our hotel at Canada Place.

Both Mum and I are relatively well traveled and I have spent a lot of time (ie lived for 3 years) in the less touristy areas of London, so I am not completely naive about city life. I think I was a little surprised that Chinatown is promoted as an area of the city for tourists, but nothing seems to have been done about controlling what seems to be a drug issue in that part of the city.

Please please Vancouverites don't take offence by this post. I loved Vancouver. We spent 4 nights with you and besides Chinatown, we enjoyed every single minute. You have a truly beautiful city - I would love to have Stanley Park, the Marina, the gorgeous coastline, the shops, the restaurants, the views, the mountains..... I could go on... on my doorstep. In my next reincarnation, I want to be born on the west coast of Canada (or the Rockies).

Joanie is, I think, relaying the conversation she had with my Mum and I at Canada Place and she did not misquote me at all. We may well have led rather sheltered lives here in the English countryside which colours our judgement somewhat, but we did not enjoy our walk around Chinatown the Saturday afternoon we disembarked. There were many homeless wondering the streets with their shopping carts, but what shocked us most was the drug dealers operating openly that we encountered on a number of the street corners. We needed to wait at the corners for the crossing signals and Mum felt very uncomfortable.

I think our shock was partly in relation to the fact that this was happening within ten minutes walk from our hotel at Canada Place.

Both Mum and I are relatively well traveled and I have spent a lot of time (ie lived for 3 years) in the less touristy areas of London, so I am not completely naive about city life. I think I was a little surprised that Chinatown is promoted as an area of the city for tourists, but nothing seems to have been done about controlling what seems to be a drug issue in that part of the city.

Please please Vancouverites don't take offence by this post. I loved Vancouver. We spent 4 nights with you and besides Chinatown, we enjoyed every single minute. You have a truly beautiful city - I would love to have Stanley Park, the Marina, the gorgeous coastline, the shops, the restaurants, the views, the mountains..... I could go on... on my doorstep. In my next reincarnation, I want to be born on the west coast of Canada (or the Rockies).

You are the bomb Jane!!!!

Yes, I was referencing our conversation that we had Saturday while awaiting the Sail Away of our ship:)

And to those who tell me that if I have not visited all the other areas in and around Vancouver that are so truly worth the visit(s), I reply with, Don't you know it!! We WILL be back many times (I sure hope so anyway):)

My biggest problem is that while sitting in front of the Pan Pacific for hours on end Saturday and Sunday, I saw not one Handicapped/wheel chair/Lift public transportation or Hop On Hop Off Trolleys, buses etc, while I did se a number of lift equipped taxis. I can only go so far in an electric scooter and I do not wish to pay so much for a taxi or town car to get to these wonderful places.

I am sorry so many of you took offense at my relaying what reggieroo0 and her mum told me of their first hand experiences, but just as you would not wander purposely into your town/citiy's worst drug infested area(s), I cannot know what I've been told and let someone go in with rose colored glasses.

I hope that makes sense? Think of it as let's say startwins' (sorry, trying to use you as a GOOD example, no disrespect meant!!) experiences on her last cruise on the Zuiderdam. She was unhappy with some aspects of the ship and when another poster asks about the Zuiderdam she tells them her first hand experience(s) both bad and good. But others had no problems at all. Does that mean she is wrong to post her negative experience(s) when a question comes up about the ship? NO!! It does not. She is answering the question as she should from her viewpoint.

And Jane......Give my love to Mum and a huge hug!! I miss you guys!!

Joanie

Buses in Vancouver are all equipped to handle wheelchairs - in fact the driver can lower the entry to sidewalk level so that the wheelchair can roll right on. Special seats can hold the wheelchair in place. Same with skytrain. All in all, Vancouver is one of the most accessible cities I've ever been in. Having DH in a wheelchair for a number of years, I think I can verify that;)

We stayed overnight in Vancouver at the Sutton Place, which is a few blocks up the hill from Canada Place. We were able to walk it. And then we walked and walked--through Stanley Park, to Gastown, to Chinatown. We ate lunch at a Greek restaurant in between the park and the hotel, but closer to the hotel. It was pretty good. We ate supper at a Chinese restaurant across the street from the hotel.

The only time we felt bothered by the homeless was the Sunday morning we were leaving. We had to catch an early train to the airport and the station where the employee had been so helpful the day before ended up being closed. A homeless couple were trying to sell us the info on which stations were open. Actually they told us which station to go to and then tried to intimidate us into giving them money in exchange for their being helpful. But like the helpful employee the day before, the info they gave us was useless. The station they directed us to was also closed that early in the morning. We ended up getting directions to the right station from a hotel doorman.

Buses in Vancouver are all equipped to handle wheelchairs - in fact the driver can lower the entry to sidewalk level so that the wheelchair can roll right on. Special seats can hold the wheelchair in place. Same with skytrain. All in all, Vancouver is one of the most accessible cities I've ever been in. Having DH in a wheelchair for a number of years, I think I can verify that;)

OK, that is good to hear, but my question is how in the heck can a person not from your beautiful city/Provence tell that the transportation is Lift equipped??

I saw no signs of any kind on any of the buses or trolleys that would help me..... saw no doors wide enough or lift doors....

I expect to see something like this on Handicapped Lift buses and vehicles.

451px-handicapped_accessible_sign.svg.png

I think I know the buses you describe as the same that we have here in Albuquerque and yes they are easily accessible to us:) I LOVE those buses!!! But unfortunately saw none in Vancouver:( Believe me, if I'd seen any recognizable accessible public transportation, I'd have been on them in a heart beat, instead of sitting outside our hotel people watching:)

bus-rapid-transit.jpg

I will be looking much closer the next time we are there so that I can see all of the beautiful sites in Vancouver I've only been able to read and hear of.....

I want to thank you startwin for telling me about these. I WILL be using them the next time we are there!!

Joanie

I saw no signs of any kind on any of the buses or trolleys that would help me..... saw no doors wide enough or lift doors....

I expect to see something like this on Handicapped Lift buses and vehicles.

I think I know the buses you describe as the same that we have here in Albuquerque and yes they are easily accessible to us:) I LOVE those buses!!! But unfortunately saw none in Vancouver:( Believe me, if I'd seen any recognizable accessible public transportation, I'd have been on them in a heart beat, instead of sitting outside our hotel people watching:)

I want to thank you startwin for telling me about these. I WILL be using them the next time we are there!!

Joanie

Every bus I took in Vancouver (the buses are blue) was what I call a "kneeling bus" in that. as it stopped at the bus stops, the entry part of the bus lowered. The doorways seemed quite wide. Inside, there is an area specially allocated for people who are elderly or handicapped. There's plenty of room there for a wheelchair.

If you watch at a bus stop, you will see how the bus lowers itself - although it doesn't go right down to touch the ground.

I didn't see any buses with lifts, though.

Hope this helps!

Every bus I took in Vancouver (the buses are blue) was what I call a "kneeling bus" in that. as it stopped at the bus stops, the entry part of the bus lowered. The doorways seemed quite wide. Inside, there is an area specially allocated for people who are elderly or handicapped. There's plenty of room there for a wheelchair.

If you watch at a bus stop, you will see how the bus lowers itself - although it doesn't go right down to touch the ground.

I didn't see any buses with lifts, though.

Hope this helps!

Very much does help!!

Question for you since you've been on these buses (Vancouverites, I'd love your feedback also:) )

Did you notice any wheelchair users on any of the buses? I ask because the buses here at home (picture was in my last post) also lower to the curb (not the street) and a ramp folds out so that a wheelchair or scooter can just drive onto the bus. If the buses in Vancouver do this, then I will be able to use them!! Keeping my fingers crossed that you or any Vancouverites can give me a definite yes answer:)

Joanie

I didn't see any buses with ramps, and the buses lowered to kerb level, so if the bus is close to the kerb it might be possible for a wheelchair to roll on.

No, I didn't see any wheelchairs on board, but I saw several people with pushchairs, which did not have to be lifted to get them on the bus. I also saw several people with walking frames, who had no difficulty boarding or exiting the bus.

I wish I had been more observant but, with DH in hospital, my mind was probably elsewhere. ;)

Ii hope that some Vancouverites can supply more information for you, Joanie. I found them to be very helpful.

Just got back from a tour of the city and in fairness to the OP there are several or more blocks along E. Hastings that are lined with drug addicts. I learned that the government operates Safe Injection facilities in that area that are staffed with emergency medical staff. The addicts can go to these facilities and shoot up in a safe environment. If they overdose then they receive immediate medical attention. This is likely why that section was shocking. Believe me I have never seen anything like it myself. Now on the flip side Vancouver only had 14 homicides last year. Overall a very safe city and of course beautiful.

If you have time, you should skytrain down to Richmond. I find the Chinese restaurants there are better LOL. Richmond also is filled with parking lots, which Vancouver lacks, making it more spacious (:

Most restaurants you go to that are located in the SkyTrain area are really good. The last 3 stops of the train are in front of 3 different malls too. And in Richmond, no one sells drugs in the open ^^ Very few hobos too. I've only seen like, 3 ^^

If you have time, you should skytrain down to Richmond. I find the Chinese restaurants there are better LOL. Richmond also is filled with parking lots, which Vancouver lacks, making it more spacious (:

Most restaurants you go to that are located in the SkyTrain area are really good. The last 3 stops of the train are in front of 3 different malls too. And in Richmond, no one sells drugs in the open ^^ Very few hobos too. I've only seen like, 3 ^^

Yes, I have heard that most of the Chinese-Canadians live in Richmond and not China Town. it is too bad that we don't have another day to check it out, but we did have a very nice meal tonight at a casual French restaurant in Gastown called Jules French Bistro. I highly recommend it.

I think I was a little surprised that Chinatown is promoted as an area of the city for tourists, but nothing seems to have been done about controlling what seems to be a drug issue in that part of the city.

Italicized by me. I just want to say that if controlling bad parts of town in any city was an easy thing to do, then cities wouldn't have this problem, yet it is a problem in many cities all over the world. That being said, it seems a little naive to say that it seems nothing has been done to control the issue. That's always easier said than done isn't it? JMHO

I guess I'm rather surprised to hear people say things about the city and relay how awful it was and tell others not to come and that sort of thing when all cities have great things and not so great things. When I read about other cities, towns, ports while researching, I never hear such awful judgemental remarks. My only hope is that people can refrain a little from passing judgement so quickly.

Very much does help!!

Question for you since you've been on these buses (Vancouverites, I'd love your feedback also :) )[/size]

Did you notice any wheelchair users on any of the buses? I ask because the buses here at home (picture was in my last post) also lower to the curb (not the street) and a ramp folds out so that a wheelchair or scooter can just drive onto the bus. If the buses in Vancouver do this, then I will be able to use them!! Keeping my fingers crossed that you or any Vancouverites can give me a definite yes answer:)

Joanie[/size]

Hi Joanie,

All buses and skytrain (aka subway/metro) and seabus are wheelchair/scooter accessible. I worked for many years with all sorts of people using various wheelchair (manual and electric) and have never had a problem accessing the public transit system. Most of the newer buses have the kneeling feature which lowers the bus and then flips the ramp to the curb. Bus drivers automatically do that (or I just ask for the ramp). Older buses (I rarely see these) have the stairs and then they have a lift that comes out to bring the wheelchair into the bus. Both work just as well. When using Skytrain, some car doors have the wheelchair symbol beside it but essentially you can get on anywhere I'm sure.

Note the wheelchair symbol on these buses.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2108/2184202315_120daacfec_z.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2012/10/12/hi-bc-121012-translink-bus-4col.jpg

For further information, here is the Translink weblink that has more information. Translink is the company that runs the public transit system in metro Vancouver.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Rider-Guide/Accessible-Transit/Wheelchairs-and-Mobility-Aids.aspx

I hope this helps!!

P.S. I would venture to say that the hop on hop off buses aren't nearly accessible. Also, the main skytrain/seabus terminal is minutes away from the pan pacific hotel towards the east. It's called Waterfront Station. You get get on all the skytrain lines, venture out to Richmond and have great Chinese food, or take the seabus to North Vancouver for something different. (details on http://www.translink.ca)

Italicized by me. I just want to say that if controlling bad parts of town in any city was an easy thing to do, then cities wouldn't have this problem, yet it is a problem in many cities all over the world. That being said, it seems a little naive to say that it seems nothing has been done to control the issue. That's always easier said than done isn't it? JMHO

I guess I'm rather surprised to hear people say things about the city and relay how awful it was and tell others not to come and that sort of thing when all cities have great things and not so great things. When I read about other cities, towns, ports while researching, I never hear such awful judgemental remarks. My only hope is that people can refrain a little from passing judgement so quickly.

I agree. Especially with regard to the assertion that there is no accessible transit in Vancouver - likely the most wheelchair-friendly city anywhere:rolleyes:

[quote name='babyorca']Hi Joanie,
All buses and skytrain (aka subway/metro) and seabus are wheelchair/scooter accessible. I worked for many years with all sorts of people using various wheelchair (manual and electric) and have never had a problem accessing the public transit system. Most of the newer buses have the kneeling feature which lowers the bus and then flips the ramp to the curb. Bus drivers automatically do that (or I just ask for the ramp). Older buses (I rarely see these) have the stairs and then they have a lift that comes out to bring the wheelchair into the bus. Both work just as well. When using Skytrain, some car doors have the wheelchair symbol beside it but essentially you can get on anywhere I'm sure.

Note the wheelchair symbol on these buses.
[URL]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2108/2184202315_120daacfec_z.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2012/10/12/hi-bc-121012-translink-bus-4col.jpg[/URL]

For further information, here is the Translink weblink that has more information. Translink is the company that runs the public transit system in metro Vancouver.

[URL]http://www.translink.ca/en/Rider-Guide/Accessible-Transit/Wheelchairs-and-Mobility-Aids.aspx[/URL]

I hope this helps!!

P.S. I would venture to say that the hop on hop off buses aren't nearly accessible. Also, the main skytrain/seabus terminal is minutes away from the pan pacific hotel towards the east. It's called Waterfront Station. You get get on all the skytrain lines, venture out to Richmond and have great Chinese food, or take the seabus to North Vancouver for something different. (details on [URL="http://www.translink.ca"]www.translink.ca[/URL])[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]Answering before I read beyond the first photo link you provided (BECAUSE, I now see the problem I had!!) [URL]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2108/2184202315_120daacfec_z.jpg[/URL]

See where the Handicap emblem is located, bottom left of the front of the bus.......As a wheelchair/scooter user, sitting at waist level to a normal standing person, I cannot see that symbol, especially if there are people standing and blocking that line of sight:(

[U]THANK YOU[/U] for giving me your personal information and insights along with the links. I am off to finish your post and view the links so that I can enjoy what I have heard so much about the next time (2014) in your beautiful city!!

[COLOR="Black"][U]EDITED TO ADD[/U][/COLOR]: I've just looked at the second photo link and also see that the HC emblem is to low to see just as for the 1st photo.... If they could add it to a higer location so that someone in our situation can see it when sitting with blocked views........... Also, I've book marked the Link to the site and really want to tell you just how helpful this is to me!! Again THANK YOU!!!

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='IRL_Joanie'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]Answering before I read beyond the first photo link you provided (BECAUSE, I now see the problem I had!!) [URL]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2108/2184202315_120daacfec_z.jpg[/URL]

See where the Handicap emblem is located, bottom left of the front of the bus.......As a wheelchair/scooter user, sitting at waist level to a normal standing person, I cannot see that symbol, especially if there are people standing and blocking that line of sight:(

[U]THANK YOU[/U] for giving me your personal information and insights along with the links. I am off to finish your post and view the links so that I can enjoy what I have heard so much about the next time (2014) in your beautiful city!!

[COLOR="Black"][U]EDITED TO ADD[/U][/COLOR]: I've just looked at the second photo link and also see that the HC emblem is to low to see just as for the 1st photo.... If they could add it to a higer location so that someone in our situation can see it when sitting with blocked views........... Also, I've book marked the Link to the site and really want to tell you just how helpful this is to me!! Again THANK YOU!!!

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

You're welcome. I think the HC emblem is where it is because it is at eye level to those using wheelchairs for mobility. Any higher and it wouldn't be.

If you need any more details before your trip please write (although just to warn you, I stay off CC after I'm done my cruise cause I don't tend to research for trips I'm not going on. Was a 3 year pause between cruises last time.) Perhaps Starwin is on more than I am. But please do ask questions, maybe there are places you've always wanted to go and we can give you insite into the accessibility.

One more thing about the Vancouver transit system: for Seniors, there is a concession fare. It's just $1.75 per person and is valid for 90 minutes. You have to have the correct change, because the bus driver does not handle the money. You put your money into a slot and a ticket is issued once the correct amount has been inserted.

DH and I (once he was out of hospital) were able to take a bus from our hotel to close to the Waterfront Station. Then we took the Skytrain to the airport and back (just for the ride). We also managed to take the waterbus over to the North Shore and back in that time frame.

We thought it was a bargain!

On our forthcoming Cruise we arrive in Vancouver by rail at noon on a Saturday and board our ship around noon on Sunday. Our hotel is pre-paid. We will have to buy meals for two and expect to hire perhaps 4 or 5 taxi's during our stay. Perhaps some of our expenses can be handled with credit cards but probably not all. And, of course there will be some tips. Is it realistic to think we can get by on U.S. dollars or should we get some Canadian dollars here at home before departing? It seems it makes sense to do so. I trust there is no way to convert any excess on Sunday morning?

RonJoan

[quote name='RonJoan']On our forthcoming Cruise we arrive in Vancouver by rail at noon on a Saturday and board our ship around noon on Sunday. Our hotel is pre-paid. We will have to buy meals for two and expect to hire perhaps 4 or 5 taxi's during our stay. Perhaps some of our expenses can be handled with credit cards but probably not all. And, of course there will be some tips. Is it realistic to think we can get by on U.S. dollars or should we get some Canadian dollars here at home before departing? It seems it makes sense to do so. I trust there is no way to convert any excess on Sunday morning?

RonJoan[/quote]

You will have no problems with using U.S. dollars. You may not get the best rate of exchange (only a few pennies at this time ...) but they will be taken everywhere.

[quote name='RonJoan']On our forthcoming Cruise we arrive in Vancouver by rail at noon on a Saturday and board our ship around noon on Sunday. Our hotel is pre-paid. We will have to buy meals for two and expect to hire perhaps 4 or 5 taxi's during our stay. Perhaps some of our expenses can be handled with credit cards but probably not all. And, of course there will be some tips. Is it realistic to think we can get by on U.S. dollars or should we get some Canadian dollars here at home before departing? It seems it makes sense to do so. I trust there is no way to convert any excess on Sunday morning?

RonJoan[/QUOTE]

I had no problems using my credit card in the taxi a few weeks ago from Gastown and almost all places take credit cards. If you go to inexpensive Asian/Chinese restaurants, some are cash only but they would say and you can just pick somewhere that takes card. I don't think people will object to US$ tips say at the hotel or taxi or whatever. There is a currency exchange at the airport (are you departing by air?) but I'm not sure about the train station. Enjoy your trip.

RonJoan[/quote]

I'm not sure. Do you think we would have any problems tendering our Canadian dollars for taxi, or other smaller purchases, in the US?

[quote name='babyorca'] There is a currency exchange at the airport (are you departing by air?) but I'm not sure about the train station. Enjoy your trip.[/QUOTE]

I should have mentioned that once we board the ship we do not return to Canada on this trip. The ship brings us home to San Diego. We may try to see if our local bank can get us a small amount of Canadian $ before we leave home and try to spend them down while in Vancouver.

Thanks to both Taxmantoo and babyorca for the replies! And startwin, yours was what I expected. Have a nice day!

RonJoan

[quote name='celle']One more thing about the Vancouver transit system: for Seniors, there is a concession fare. It's just $1.75 per person and is valid for 90 minutes. You have to have the correct change, because the bus driver does not handle the money. You put your money into a slot and a ticket is issued once the correct amount has been inserted.

DH and I (once he was out of hospital) were able to take a bus from our hotel to close to the Waterfront Station. Then we took the Skytrain to the airport and back (just for the ride). We also managed to take the waterbus over to the North Shore and back in that time frame.

We thought it was a bargain![/quote]

Interesting information, Thank you.

Hope your DH continues to make good progress now that you are home.

• 1 month later...
[LIST]
[*]I've been to Vancouver many times, as my niece lives there, and I've found it one of the easiest places to navigate. That being said, I have not been aware of the handicapped facilities. I would only hope they are as updated as they should be. But truly a beautiful city!:)
[/LIST]

Archived