Kotor

dlouise

Does any one know how far the walled in city of Kotor is from where the Oceania docks. Is it walkable? We will be there in July on the Oceania and I'm trying to make plans for independent touring. Thanks.

Does any one know how far the walled in city of Kotor is from where the Oceania docks. Is it walkable? We will be there in July on the Oceania and I'm trying to make plans for independent touring. Thanks.

It's very walkable. This is a tender port and it's a very short walk from the tender to the walled city.

It's very walkable. This is a tender port and it's a very short walk from the tender to the walled city.

We docked in Kotor when we were there on the Riviera last May, and although the old town was a couple of hundred feet from the ship, those walls were a serious hike up into the hills

kotorp1080076-600.jpg

Don't picture them as being anything like Dubrovnik-

9455452-vista-panoramica-de-dubrovnik-en-muros-de-la-ciudad.jpg

We were there in May and while the walk into the city from the port was an easy walk, the walk up the hill was a totally different thing.

Listen to JimandStan... if you are there on a witchin' hot day as we were, it can be a difficult hike no matter how great of shape you're in.

We made it half way up, decided it was the "perfect perspective for taking pix", declared victory, and lived to walk from another port!!

I'm really confused. When we were there 2 years ago we were docked not tendered and I cannot remember there being any hill climbs. Perhaps my brain is getting worn out!!

Even the Marina is "small" enough to dock at Kotor.

We saw the bigger Celebrity Solstice-class ship anchored and passengers were indeed tendered in.

The climb, I believe, is to access the various fortification points at the top of the hill...and it indeed is a pretty good workout...:eek:

Interesting...perhaps not enough berth on that particular day...

We were just there a couple of weeks ago, and we were anchored. The only other ships were a Thompson and a Windstar.

We hiked up the hill..... It was very hard, beware!

I have photos but don't know how to post...

Edited by kimanjo

We were there 3yrs ago and we were docked. Walkable, but we opted for a taxi tour. Many vendors on the docks, reasonably priced. The driver we had was friendly, english speaking and would stop for walk abouts and photos, spectacular views. Beautiful port.

Thank you everyone for all of your input. This will be a car tour given Alfred has a new knee and hip!! We will be docked so maybe a short walk after lunch. It looks to be a beautiful port that we will enjoy.

Edited by dlouise

Thank you everyone for all of your input. This will be a car tour given Alfred has a new knee and hip!! We will be docked so maybe a short walk after lunch. It looks to be a beautiful port that we will enjoy.

I had a new knee last Jan in June we did a river cruise & I can tell you my DH was shocked that I walked 6 KM just about everyday

Hope your DH will be able to do even part of that ...keep moving ;)

Lyn

We were there 3yrs ago and we were docked. Walkable, but we opted for a taxi tour. Many vendors on the docks, reasonably priced. The driver we had was friendly, english speaking and would stop for walk abouts and photos, spectacular views. Beautiful port.

Do you remember what you paid (I presume in Euros?), and did you tip on top of the quote? Also how long was your taxi tour?

Thanks!

Do you remember what you paid (I presume in Euros?), and did you tip on top of the quote? Also how long was your taxi tour?

Thanks!

Judy, I don't recall the exact price or the length of time but my guess would be 60ish euros 3hrs? I remember we thought it quite affordable and that it was well worth it. We normally tip(10%) for good tours. My photos of this port are georgeous but unfortunately do not know how to attach! The views sailing into this fjords-like port is beautiful..one of my favourite ports.

Have a nice cruise.

Thanks!

If I were you, I'd skip the cab altogether and do a water tour of the Bay of Kotor

bay_of_kotor.jpg Serene, gorgeous and tranquil beyond belief....

Positively one of the highlights of the Adriatic

Be on the top deck as you sail into Kotor, especially if you do not have a veranda. One of the great sail-ins. Bring your camera and arrive early to grab a position at the rail! It is absolutely stunning and if you miss it sailing in, well.....you get another chance leaving.

We have a 20x30 photo we took of the Island of St George and the Benedictine monastery and everyone asks "where in the world is that gorgeous place?"

If I were you, I'd skip the cab altogether and do a water tour of the Bay of Kotor

if I remember correctly there were boat&land tours being offered, best of both worlds! you may want to search online and book an excursion or share a tour with your RollCall.

Thanks everyone for the info and tips! May do it all- the water tour of the bay, the taxi tour, while first heading up to the top deck for the sail-in and maybe returning for the sail away as well!. We have a verandah, but I think it is on the wrong side, so definitely will head up before going ashore.:D

We had a veranda on the "correct" side but go up to the top deck anyhow since it is the best vantage point. I got up early for the sail in and it was spectacular.

We walked around the old town and climbed the walls only part of the way up. As others have said, it is one hell of a hike straight up on cobblestones. We also walked away from the old town to the "residential" area which is very much post Russian concrete apartments which is another aspect of the area and reflects the history and past.

A well travelled gentleman and his family from New Zealand took a cab and went up the coast to what is suppose to be an up and coming resort area. I think I would do a tour of the bay as Stan and Jim suggested. Beautiful scenery. On the way out you should look for where the submarines were hidden. Our cruise director David Shermat was great and gave us a whole history. Enjoy.

.... I think I would do a tour of the bay as Stan and Jim suggested. Beautiful scenery. On the way out you should look for where the submarines were hidden. .....

Interesting! Now I have to read up more on Kotor and it's history - an enticing tidbit - thanks!

• 7 months later...

We were in Kotor in 2009 but and just walked around and attempted to climb the walls. This time we would like to take a boat tour up the "fjord". Who did you use?

Thanks.