Just looking over a few posts and thinking back to my last few cruises,

do folks think Princess is doing more work to the fleet while still cruising,

work that might have once been down in a wet dock,

I know as the fleet gets older maintenance increases but

my last few cruises have seen a number of major works, areas closed off

for the whole of the cruise, increased noise dust etc

yours Shogun

Hi Shogun,

We are going to be on the Pacific Princess in December. Evidentially the scheduled dry dock for the ship this past January was canceled and has not been rescheduled until May 2014. Your experience leads me to believe that the needed refurbishment might start sooner then that while the ship is sailing. Is there anyway to find out ahead of time?

On our Grand June 2012 Norway cruise they were replacing balcony dividers during each port day. One cabin was totally covered in plastic sheets and off-limits for the day. The workers used that cabin to get to the balconies to cut off old dividers and install new ones. I am not sure if the people in that cabin received any compensation for not being able to access it all day. Hopefully they were on an all-day excursion paid for by Princess !

I've noticed it, mainly in the pool areas.

On the Crown, it was the re-grouting of some of the walk-way tiles. For the most part, this was done quietly and unobtrusively.

On the Star, it was a major production including, roping off the women's bathroom at the MUTS pool (no bathroom access), loud drilling and sanding (so that one couldn't hear the movie), and excessive dust blowing across the deck.

I would have thought that this might have better been scheduled for a port day when the majority of passengers were off the ship. I realize that the ships need ongoing maintenance, but at least turn up the movie and let us use the bathroom.;)

On the Star, it was a major production including, roping off the women's bathroom at the MUTS pool (no bathroom access), loud drilling and sanding (so that one couldn't hear the movie), and excessive dust blowing across the deck.

)

Just my opinion but I would rather be subjected to loud sanding and loud drilling than the noise that emanates from the MUTS speakers. I hate the MUTS systems with a passion that can not be described.

DON

Just my opinion but I would rather be subjected to loud sanding and loud drilling than the noise that emanates from the MUTS speakers. I hate the MUTS systems with a passion that can not be described.

DON

It's funny because I used to really hate it as well, but on our last couple of cruises, I started to enjoy watching the movies while sunbathing. I am going to miss MUTS when we sail on the Pacific Princess in December.:(

I have yet to take a cruise where work of some kind was not being done. Everything from painting to furnature replacement on a port day. There simply isn't time to do everything in a dry dock and as dry docks only happen every 4 years or so other items require more frequent maintenance. One day ashore they painted our balcony and varnished the railing. It's never been a big inconvienience to us.

On Ruby last week, they emptied the MUTS pool and the small pool on Deck 17. They claimed that this was because they had to reduce the weight and therefore draft of the ship for Venice, but still took the opportunity to sand down the woodwork around the edge of the pool. Also, work was carried out (painting and varnishing) on four mornings out of 12 - no great intrusion since we tended to be ashore in the mornings anyway.

Hi All

On going maintenance is one thing,

but I am thinking more of parts of the decks closed off for whole of the cruise, on side contractors brought onboard,

or stacks of materials stored around the ship, with crews working from 8 to 8 sawing banging etc.

yours Shogun

There simply isn't time to do everything in a dry dock and as dry docks only happen every 4 years or so ...

There could be dry docks every year ... but the fare would see a SIGNIFICANT increase :eek:

In our aft cabin on the Grand in 2010 a remote crew was brought on board to work on the dreaded fans next to our cabin. (I don't know what really goes on in there.) The grinding and hammering was so bad at 7:00 am that we complained several times. Their repeated response is that the work is done now....only to be woken the next morning with the same thing. We couldn't sit on our balcony for 6 of the 14 days due to the loud hammering and grinding. The ship was in poor condition in my opinion but has since been dry docked for major rework.

I've noticed it, mainly in the pool areas.

On the Crown, it was the re-grouting of some of the walk-way tiles. For the most part, this was done quietly and unobtrusively.

I would have thought that this might have better been scheduled for a port day when the majority of passengers were off the ship. I realize that the ships need ongoing maintenance, but at least turn up the movie and let us use the bathroom.;)

You must have been on our cruise(Star 4/13) We noticed they were doing work, but at the time we were not by the pool or watching a movie so it did not bother us.

If you want to avoid most of the major construction/referb work on a ship never pick the cruise immediatly before or after a scheduled dry dock. Work will certainly start prior to the dry dock and often continues past it. Only had this happen to us once. Three days prior to the end of our cruise workers started tearing up the carpets in many of the common areas. While no area was closed for more than a day it was annoying and did nothing to add to the ambiance of the ship for sure especially for the last formal night. Live and learn.

A couple of years ago on the Sapphire Princess, work started on adding the Sanctuary to the ship during the repo cruise I was on, which was several months in advance of its major drydock (they started loading materials for the Sanctuary while in Victoria, which is where the drydock ultimately took place.) I believe they also started work on adding the sport court on top of Skywalkers during that cruise as well. If I recall correctly, the Sanctuary was completed and opened roughly a month in advance of the ship going in for drydock.

You must have been on our cruise(Star 4/13) We noticed they were doing work, but at the time we were not by the pool or watching a movie so it did not bother us.

Lol, yes we were on the same cruise. Luckily we had seen the movie before, so we didn't miss the dialog too much.;)

Archived