Reasonable price upgrade from inside to GTY Balcony

Hi

Well, travel agent called this morning to inform me that I can upgrade from an inside room to a neighborhood GTY Balcony for only $100 on the Allure for July 7. Well, let's just say, I took it. Prices are dropping. The downside is that I am traveling with a group so I was careful when I picked the inside room number almost a year and a half ago so that I am close by the group.

I am hoping that when they assign the GTY that they look at the fact that I am traveling with a group and hopefully keep me on the same floor as my group. Any ideas to ensure this or wishful thinking?

Good thing is that I will have a view of Central Park or Boardwalk inside of 4 walls. Plus, I am still traveling with a great group of friends that I met on the previous cruise. It is all good. Yah!

thanks

Jennifer

Hi

Well, travel agent called this morning to inform me that I can upgrade from an inside room to a neighborhood GTY Balcony for only $100 on the Allure for July 7. Well, let's just say, I took it. Prices are dropping. The downside is that I am traveling with a group so I was careful when I picked the inside room number almost a year and a half ago so that I am close by the group.

I am hoping that when they assign the GTY that they look at the fact that I am traveling with a group and hopefully keep me on the same floor as my group. Any ideas to ensure this or wishful thinking?

Good thing is that I will have a view of Central Park or Boardwalk inside of 4 walls. Plus, I am still traveling with a great group of friends that I met on the previous cruise. It is all good. Yah!

thanks

Jennifer

No suggestions, but I hope you have a wonderful cruise. That's a great upgrade:)

Can’t tell from your comments if you actually took the guarantee but, sorry - Wishful thinking. A guarantee will allow the cruise line to assign you ANYWHERE as long as the cabin category meets the minimum of your guarantee. If you want or need to be in a specific area of the ship, a guarantee is not for you. If you receive the neighborhood guarantee then you actually have a general idea of the cabin placements, as the neighborhoods (Central Park and Boardwalk) are in specific areas of the ship. However the cruise line can actually place you in any other balcony for that matter.

If you get a placement you don’t like and there are other available cabins IN THE SAME CATEGORY , you may be able to switch. You cannot change to another category.

Enjoy and good luck. Let us know your results.

Wishful thinking to believe the group will be taken into account when a gty cabin is assigned. Still, assuming you are very mobile, I would go for it for that price.

What is your C&A status? High enough for a balcony discount? If so, make sure it gets applied if you upgrade (maybe the TA already calculated it into that price...or maybe not)

No, you cannot count on RC taking your group's cabin locations into account when assigning your gty. However, as previously mentioned, you are not necessarily "stuck" with the cabin they assign you either. If there are other available cabins in the same category as your newly assigned cabin (check everyday until you are assigned a cabin #), then you can request a cabin change at no additional charge, actually requesting a specific cabin in that category. I did this recently for an upcoming Serenade booking. I received an $80 price drop by changing from an inside to an outside gty. The cabin was assigned about 2 days later, category G, deck 2, connecting cabin. I found a category G non-connecting cabin on deck 4 (across the hall from my original inside cabin) and called RC to make the switch. No problem at all and no change in price.

I would definitely take the gty and then once you know your assigned category look for available cabins in the same category that might be in a more desirable location. Also, remember, that available cabins can change before the sail date as others might also take advantage of gtys or upgrades, etc. So keep looking even if you don't find something closer to your group at first. Also, is anyone else from your group considering taking the gty as well? Their cabins could potentially change if that is the case.

Hi

I am not very picky about what balcony room I may get as long as it is not an inside room with no view. I am ok with any balcony. I did take it. I am traveling alone. It would be great if they take into account that I am traveling with a group but if that doesn't work, it is ok. I looked at the majority are on deck 8, 10, and 11. My group is on deck 8. It looks like I am GTY balcony for neighboorhood area which is boardwalk or central park. I guess they could put me in an ocean balcony and I am ok with that as well.

I am a Gold member. I am a couple of points shy of the next level. I am not sure what discount they applied. I was suprised that the upgrade was only $100. When I looked last night and this morning before I sent an email to the agent, I figured around $300-400 so I am not sure how we got down to $100. Anyways, I figure that $100 is not much even if it is a balcony.

Archived