Can I bring a....

We use an Oreck steamer and the Downey Wrinkle Release, and never have had a problem. The irons on board are to finicky, and spit brown colored water, or leak water making it impossible to get the wrinkles out, or stain it in the process.

Things like steamers, irons, blow dryers, curlers etc... are all on the prohibited list because they are a fire danger, please don't risk setting the ship on fire.

Hair dryers and curlers are specifically allowed on Carnival's list, no steamers or irons.

DW always brings her own hair dryer, never a problem on any line.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?faq=restrictions[

here is the exact wording

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits bringing certain items onboard. Additionally, we reserve the right to confiscate (and destroy) any articles that in our discretion are considered dangerous or pose a risk or inconvenience to the safety and security of the ship, or our guests, and no compensation will be provided.

Confiscated Items

• Alcohol (hard liquor)/sealed, unopened bottles

• Beer/sealed, unopened bottles/cans

• Wine or champagne/sealed, unopened bottles - beyond the allowable limit of one bottle (750 ml. size) per adult 21 years of age (brought on at embarkation time only in their carry-on luggage)

Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

• Electrical and household appliances (i.e. coffee makers, hot plates, toasters, etc.)

• Candles

• Heating Pads

• Incense

• Hookah

Unlike breaking the rules to smuggle booze, smuggling prohibited irons, steamers, kettles, etc.. is endangering everyone's lives. Fire at sea can be deadly. Those rules are not there so the company can make more money, they're there to save lives.

Do not take these items.

Don't think it doesn't happen: http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/03/articles/fires-1/ten-years-of-cruise-ship-fires-has-the-cruise-industry-learned-anything/

Unlike breaking the rules to smuggle booze, smuggling prohibited irons, steamers, kettles, etc.. is endangering everyone's lives. Fire at sea can be deadly. Those rules are not there so the company can make more money, they're there to save lives.

Do not take these items.

Don't think it doesn't happen: http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/03/articles/fires-1/ten-years-of-cruise-ship-fires-has-the-cruise-industry-learned-anything/

I'm all for safety, but I'm unclear where your "don't think it can't happen" comment comes from. The link you posted is to a long article about engine room fires and a fire started by a careless smoker. I expected to come across a story about a short circuit/faulty wiring in a passenger's electrical device, but there wasn't a single reference.

Like I said, I'm all for safety, but I'm also for complete and transparent disclosure.

I'm all for safety, but I'm unclear where your "don't think it can't happen" comment comes from. The link you posted is to a long article about engine room fires and a fire started by a careless smoker. I expected to come across a story about a short circuit/faulty wiring in a passenger's electrical device, but there wasn't a single reference.

Like I said, I'm all for safety, but I'm also for complete and transparent disclosure.

The video at the end of that long list is of the Star Princess fire, which started in a stateroom. whether a smouldering cigarette or a knocked over iron, the results are the same. neither is intentional, but both can cause fire. fire on a ship is deadly serious event.

Archived