Istanbul

corytravel

Does anyone know if there could be trouble with cruises in Istanbul? there have been some riots there this week I am embarking in Istanbul in a couple of weeks on the oddessy. I had one cruise repositioned before due to unrest . riots and war void your insurance.

The riots have been reasonably close to where the dock is. I would keep an eye on the news. Obviously the Turks will try to minimize the effect on tourism. Let's hope the unrest is over soon. One would think that if Istanbul is avoided (and what a shame that would be) that Seabourn would handle taking you to an alternate port. But who knows!

We had a similar issue when boarding the Odyssey in Athens 2 years ago. These things generally remain localised and life goes on. Stay positive. It'll work out. Remember this is a pro-democracy demonstration.

Enjoy the cruise!

No one knows for sure what will happen. The good news is that you have a few weeks and in this world we live in that is a lot of time.

Keith

How true, hopefully it will all be over. Istanbul is a great city.

My understanding also is that the protests have spread to many other cities, including Izmir. I have not read anything about Kusadasi. I adore Istanbul and find this very troubling. And as to the comment that the protestors are pro-democracy I will just say that we were staying in Cairo in a luxury hotel next to Tahrir Square two years ago when their "pro-democracy" revolution broke out and it was a dangerous situation and we spent two very long difficult days trying to get out. I will keep my fingers crossed that the situation in Turkey calms down.

More rioting throughout the country as the Prime Minister returns home from Moracco. Chairsin is correct the rioting and unrest has spread all over Turkey to Izmir, Antaya, Istanbul, Ankara and other smaller towns.

Love Istanbul. Stay safe. Best bet might be the old/port city. Four Seasons is fab - it's a former prison. And say hello to my friend Adil who also happens to have world's best jewelry, Adil Bersen Jewellery.

• 2 weeks later...

The cruise we just booked doesn't go to Istanbul which is both good and bad. Taking them in reverse the bad is we thoroughly enjoyed Istanbul last year on our first cruise in the Med and there were still a few sights we wanted to see and experience. We had been looking to pick up an itinerary that focused more on the eastern Med and many of them either started or ended in Istanbul. Mrs. K works for the US government so she decided to check her travel limitations, she has stricter travel restrictions than a regular citizen, and they said they'd not approve travel to Istanbul at this time. Rather than take a chance that Istanbul stays on the "off-limits" list next year we found an itinerary that fills in many of the blanks which is the good. We finish in Barcelona which is where we embarked for the last cruise but there are still some things we'd like to do there so not all is lost. As for where to stay in Istanbul highly, highly recommend the Four Seasons at Sultanahmet. We stayed there a couple of nights at the end of our cruise and it was fabulous.

Archived