Reading reviews

Am I the only one who likes to be able to read the whole review straight through without small interjections from folks like "Great review so far," "Keep it coming," "Love it." I find it distracting.

I guess I feel like it should be like a symphony...applause should be held until the end of the last movement.

But I know that people have different methods of writing. Some post everything at the same time while others do it a bit at a time and answer questions as they go. I like to read it all at the same time so I don't feel I am left hanging LOL!

Am I the only one who likes to be able to read the whole review straight through without small interjections from folks like "Great review so far," "Keep it coming," "Love it." I find it distracting.

I guess I feel like it should be like a symphony...applause should be held until the end of the last movement.

But I know that people have different methods of writing. Some post everything at the same time while others do it a bit at a time and answer questions as they go. I like to read it all at the same time so I don't feel I am left hanging LOL!

Just think of it as watching a soap opera or any TV show with commercials. LOL

Just think of it as watching a soap opera or any TV show with commercials. LOL

If it is a review done in "installments", I sometimes "DVR" it by waiting until they are well into the review before I start reading. That way I can skim through the commercials, er I mean the comments.

I do understand that those comments are probably very encouraging to the OP. Nothing worse than being met by a resounding silence after you post a section. And sometimes, questions are asked that bring out some really useful and interesting info.

But sometimes they do get a bit much, especially if the OP feels the need to respond to each one.

I would prefer that the entire review be posted as a whole.

It is simple to do...use a word processor of some kind and when ready to post, copy the text and then paste it into the thread text area.

Especially for longer reviews where the poster puts a lot of effort in it it is nice to tell him or her that the work is appreciated.

I would prefer to have those big reviews duplicated into an own review forum without the comments when they are finished.

I'm with you on this subject. Once i realize it's not all there i don't bother.

Like the search engine here that most a lotdon't know how to use properly they also don't realize that they can type there review as a word doc,keep saving it till it's done, then copy and paste here as one and also post it in the review section.

I love reading reviews - particularly about a ship or itinerary that I haven't experienced before and might be considering for a future cruise.

However, I would like to make a comment that I hope future reviewers might "take on board". Please use paragraphs - or should I say spaces.

I find that long blocks of text are just too hard to read and I very quickly lose interest.

There was a poster(cant remember your name sorry!) that used a different color font for her review so you could just skip through the comments to the next part of the review. It was very helpful.

That's me! Glad it's helpful :)

I would prefer that the entire review be posted as a whole.

It is simple to do...use a word processor of some kind and when ready to post, copy the text and then paste it into the thread text area.

If you want to add photos - which can be very helpful to those planning a cruise, the board software will only allow you to add six photos in a posting, so you have to break it up.

I prefer to read the reviews in the review section and when I do one, link that instead of putting it on this board. You can answer questions this way, too although more seem to be generated by the direct reviews here. This board is a good place for pictures and many enjoy those but it makes a thread too long for me to keep my attention. Lots of people respond when folks do put reviews here so I imagine they are appreciated by many readers.

(Now I didn't link my most recent review on the RCCL board for fear of a firing squad.)

I understand why some posters comment, but why must you highlight a whole lengthy review to add "nice review"?

I agree with this. The "quote" button is misused in a lot of cases. I can see quoting a line or paragraph that you're referring to, but an entire post including pictures? :confused:

I think a lot of people don't know how to use the quote buttons. It took me a while. I love reading reviews whether they are in the review section or broken up in pieces with comments. I don't like the feeding frenzies sometimes when someone dares to have a contrary opinion, but more often than not I have found these boards to be very educational and entertaining.

I love the long reviews and don't mind interjections. I think they are encouraging to the writer.

What bothers me is when people quote huge blocks of text and photos and say "nice review". Reply to the thread, or if you need to quote, delete the parts of the quote not relevant to your comment.

I have no problem with comments made in between. I would hate to be the author of a review and not have any comments made especially since some are so new to Cruise Critic.

i agree.

but i also agree with the posters who mentioned the misuse of the quote button. it really does drive me crazy to have to scroll through an entire post of text and photos that I went through days ago because someone felt the need to quote the entire thing to say "great pictures". :eek:

I understand why some posters comment, but why must you highlight a whole lengthy review to add "nice review"?

Yes to infinity +1!

I like the suggestion of the reviewer using a different color to make it easier to find just the review parts. If I write one for my upcoming trip, I shall have to remember that...but I will probably put it all on one post.

I love the long reviews and don't mind interjections. I think they are encouraging to the writer.

What bothers me is when people quote huge blocks of text and photos and say "nice review". Reply to the thread, or if you need to quote, delete the parts of the quote not relevant to your comment.

The encouragement part is true. I never finished my Epic review last year because no one seemed to be commenting but my mother so I didn't feel motivated to finish. :(

I agree about the quoting though. It makes the reviews confusing.

Archived