Would you book a 1 day cruise?

Canuckleheadd

Hello Betty!

I'm actually going to do the Star on Sat. Then run back to Seattle for the Golden. I've done that sort of transition in the past and don't generally recommend it but for the hardiest of cruise addicts! ;-)

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are doing this and one more.......Taking the Star on 8/21 from Seattle to Vancouver, then back to Seattle that morning to catch the Golden back to Vancouver, then catching the Island to SFO.

Separate cabins equal 6 cruise credits in 4 days and will make us Elite.

I know we'll get flamed for this one........LOL !!

I have done it. To me it's like booking a hotel room on land and going out to dinner and a show. It's cheaper than spending the night in Manhattan and going to a Broadway show. Plus, I love being on the water and leaving from NY is something!

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are doing this and one more.......Taking the Star on 8/21 from Seattle to Vancouver, then back to Seattle that morning to catch the Golden back to Vancouver, then catching the Island to SFO.

Separate cabins equal 6 cruise credits in 4 days and will make us Elite.

I know we'll get flamed for this one........LOL !!

Supposing one has 14 cruise credits from 14 sailings. You need to complete 15 sailings to make Elite, but you have a long cruise coming up. If you take a very short cruise, it would bump you up to Elite where you can get free laundry and dry cleaning. That could be a huge savings, especially on a long cruise.

We did this on Celebrity. We had a 14 day SE Asia cruise coming up and booked a six day cruise to Bermuda just to become Elite prior to the big cruise. We enjoyed the Bermuda cruise, Celebrity made some money and then on the long voyage we qualified for some free laundry, some free Internet and a pre-dinner cocktail hour every night.

This practice is similar to people who have 73,000 airline miles in a year and take an inexpensive trip to wherever just to make Platinum.

Scott97: I don't see any reason to be flamed as it is a win-win situation for both the passenger and the cruise line or airline.

My DW and I took a one day cruise that was a bit of a bonus.

A friend of mine was getting married in western Canada and since we were going all that way (we are in eastern Canada) we decided to make a longish vacation (longish for two working stiffs) and we quickly settled on an Alaskan cruise. The wedding day meant we were going on the last Alaskan cruise of the season. We had planned to go to Vancouver before going to my friend's city because my brother lives there. We had done a bit of research - planes, busses, trains - as to how to get ourselves from Seattle to Vancouver when one day, one crusie critic, I saw someone talking about the one day cruises - could hardly believe my eyes!!

It was interesting to note the difference between the 7 day and the 1 day - we went from being bottom 5% percentile for age (we were in our late 30s at the time) to being older than most people on the one day cruise! Skywalkers went from being empty at midnight to being full at 2 am when we left on the one day cruise (we joined in on the party a little bit lol) There were 12 of us that were in transit and two of them were an older English couple that we had played trivia with most of the 7 day cruise. The one day cruise felt like a "bonus day" to us and we had such great fun!! Anotehr bonus was that it was our fifth cruise and it meant that we were Platinum for our next one!

I've done it before, just to get on a ship again for a while, maybe have a nice dinner and a show with friends. I'm already elite, it's not for status.

But I live in Seattle. Drive to the port or bribe friends to take me, sail, spend a nice fun day in Vancouver BC, Amtrak back.

I wouldn't travel for it.

Archived