Would you book a 1 day cruise?

Canuckleheadd

It's all on the same ship and Princess let me book it that way. There isn't an overnight in Vancouver. It's 7 days coastal to Vancouver Sat to Sat, then 1 day Vancouver to Seattle Sat to Sun, Then Alaska R/T from Seattle Sun to Sun. If it was illegal would Princess let you book it?:confused:. Just so I know exactly what is PVSA so when I call them I can pretend like I know what I'm talking about.

But I booked directly with Princess and the agent didn't say a word to me, or should I just not say anything and let them have to make it up to me because they messed up.

The PVSA is a law that prevents foreign flagged vehicles from transporting passengers between two different US locations without visiting a distant foreign port. You can google it for details. A distant foreign port is the ABC islands or South America.for example all cruises going through the Panama Canal stop at Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao or Columbia to satisfy the requirement.

You would be sailing between LA and Seattle without a distant foreign port. Most cruise lines have flags set to prevent this when booking but sometimes they miss it until later.

It's all on the same ship and Princess let me book it that way. There isn't an overnight in Vancouver. It's 7 days coastal to Vancouver Sat to Sat, then 1 day Vancouver to Seattle Sat to Sun, Then Alaska R/T from Seattle Sun to Sun. If it was illegal would Princess let you book it?:confused:. Just so I know exactly what is PVSA so when I call them I can pretend like I know what I'm talking about.

But I booked directly with Princess and the agent didn't say a word to me, or should I just not say anything and let them have to make it up to me because they messed up.

No, you won't be able to take this; they'll cancel it eventually when they catch this booking. You're getting on in one U.S. city and getting off in another, without going to a distant foreign port in between. I'm surprised this snuck through -- it's pretty obvious. Anyway, all you have to do is skip the one-day cruise and get to Seattle on your own and you can take the two 7-day cruises. Problem solved.

Are you sure this is all the same ship? I can't find this combination listed on the Princess web site??

I almost did one this year, but the logistics kill it for me.

I live minutes from I5 between the cities, but getting to one port, and home from the other not easy, and costs more than the cruise.

We have started doing the repositioning from Cali instead.

If the shuttle from the North stopped at the Pier in Seattle it would really help.

So Princess has 1 day cruises between Vancouver and Seattle. Other than doing it to upgrade your status, why would anyone want to take a one day cruise? You get on the ship at the earliest maybe noon or 1:00 PM, and have to be off by 10:00 AM the next day.:confused:
Taking a ferry is cheaper.

I wouldn't do this unless it linked with another cruise itinerary on the same ship. There's just not enough time to do much - its an expensive night out, and returning can be expensive too.

If this is all on the same ship it is in violation of PVSA.

It is, and sometimes the booking agent misses it at first. Eventually it will get spotted.

He may need to replace the 1 day, with a shuttle ride to Seattle (its available from the pier in Van), and a night in Seattle.

Have done them before and will continue to do them. I recommend them to friends who have never cruised and are concerned about sea sickness as really it's better to only be sick for the 12 hrs or so that the ship is moving along the coast rather then realizing that "sea days" don't work for you with a 7 or 14 day cruise.

I've booked a 2 day to San Francisco from Vancouver as it's less than airfare and the 1 day cruises give us a chance to go down to Seattle do some shopping while enjoying a nice meal on board, Get ~$50 of stuff via using the OBC from shareholder's Benefit, collect another cruise "credit".(Not only is there better selection for goods in the US, but prices are generally lower on most goods)24hrs out of country lets us bring back $200 of goods, tax/duty free.

Quick breakdown for how it works for us out of Vancouver

$29-$79 Cruise fare that we end up booking.

$80 taxes/port fees (On the 3 1 day's I have taken there has generally been a refund of about $13 or so, so really $57)

$12 Gratuites

$17 Greyhound between Seattle and Vancouver

So granted our Saturday and Sunday are shot (the bus back from Seattle is generally much slower than the bus to Seattle, due to border waits)

This also qualifies for $50 OBC from the Shareholder Benefit, and twice so far they have put the "balance" back onto my credit card at the end of the night, generally I try to spend all my shipboard credit but every now and again we have had money put back onto our Credit card.

I booked this exact same itinerary a couple of years ago and it was at least a week before Princess picked it up and contacted my TA to change it. Your options are omitting the 1 day Vancouver - Seattle (use ground transportation) or do what I did - I changed ship in Vancouver so I got almost the same cruise - 7 day coastal on the Sapphire followed by 7 day Alaska on the Golden - only 14 days instead of 15 but it's legal.

If I lived closer to one of the port cities I would in a heartbeat. I love to cruise and if it didn't involve air/transfers etc., I'd definitely do this once in a while as a quick get away. I do live in California, so it's fairly cheap to fly down to San Pedro, so I've taken advantage of a couple of the 3-day cruises where we were able to get an exceptional deal on a half-full ship, but I tend to like longer cruises in general. Still, it's fun to get away for any length of time. :)

A few years ago, we were on 3 ships in 10 days.

First we flew to from Vancouver to LA, cruised 3 days back to Vancouver, sat in Canada Place for a couple of hours, with what seemed like, a ship load of people, doing the same as us, then boarded another ship, after the crews had transferred our baggage, and sailed overnight, booked in 2 cabins, to Seattle, then flew to Vancouver and visited for 2 days, then flew to San Francisco and sailed 2 days to Vancouver, all within 10 days, and picked up credits for 4 cruises. :D :D

Cato :)

[

So Princess has 1 day cruises between Vancouver and Seattle. Other than doing it to upgrade your status, why would anyone want to take a one day cruise? You get on the ship at the earliest maybe noon or 1:00 PM, and have to be off by 10:00 AM the next day.:confused:

Yes have done this because I like the break getting a nice dinner and breakfast ,entertainment ,meeting new folks.Its a nice break from ones own space while saving up for the next long cruise.:)

The 1 nights are certainly not to everyone's liking. I have done several and I often swear no more! But like so many others I just love being on a ship, even if for just a few short hours. I really enjoy the re-positioning pacific coastal cruises. I find the 3 days between LA & Vancouver very relaxing, a great way to meet fun new people, get my cruising fix (yeah I'm a cruising junkie!), and a quick getaway from work. I won't go out of my way for a 1 night but when they line up well with a longer re-position then yes absolutely I'll be there!

I'm booked on the Golden Sun the 22nd of Sep from Sea > Van. I'll disembark the Golden on Mon the 23rd and basically step right over and onto the Island and sail down to San Francisco. Keep in mind I check the port loads when I consider doing these and on Mon the 23rd only the Golden & Island will be at Canada Place which makes a huge difference. I swore a couple years ago if I never sailed out of Canada Place again it would be too soon as it's probably the worst for embarkation of any port I've ever sailed from. Another nice thing is generally when two Princess ships turn around the same day from the same port they'll move your luggage from one ship to the other for you, very convenient!

The 1 nights are certainly not to everyone's liking. I have done several and I often swear no more! But like so many others I just love being on a ship, even if for just a few short hours. I really enjoy the re-positioning pacific coastal cruises. I find the 3 days between LA & Vancouver very relaxing, a great way to meet fun new people, get my cruising fix (yeah I'm a cruising junkie!), and a quick getaway from work. I won't go out of my way for a 1 night but when they line up well with a longer re-position then yes absolutely I'll be there!

I'm booked on the Golden Sun the 22nd of Sep from Sea > Van. I'll disembark the Golden on Mon the 23rd and basically step right over and onto the Island and sail down to San Francisco. Keep in mind I check the port loads when I consider doing these and on Mon the 23rd only the Golden & Island will be at Canada Place which makes a huge difference. I swore a couple years ago if I never sailed out of Canada Place again it would be too soon as it's probably the worst for embarkation of any port I've ever sailed from. Another nice thing is generally when two Princess ships turn around the same day from the same port they'll move your luggage from one ship to the other for you, very convenient!

Hi Paul, We're doing the same, one night on the Golden then two nights on the Island. It's our first time trying one and two night cruises. I know some are also sailing Saturday one night to Vancouver and then traveling back to Seattle to board the Golden. That sounded a bit much.

Hi Paul, We're doing the same, one night on the Golden then two nights on the Island. It's our first time trying one and two night cruises. I know some are also sailing Saturday one night to Vancouver and then traveling back to Seattle to board the Golden. That sounded a bit much.

Hello Betty!

I'm actually going to do the Star on Sat. Then run back to Seattle for the Golden. I've done that sort of transition in the past and don't generally recommend it but for the hardiest of cruise addicts! ;-)

Sometimes Princess will actually run a chartered bus directly from one terminal to the next which is reassuring but there is no guarantee.

Hope to have the chance to meet you on board. Love to make new friends. Unfortunately these short cruises don't give much time for socializing.

We took the may 1 day cruise on the star this year.My kids,grandkids,sister,nephew and our DH.First cruise for all but my

husband and I. It was a good way for them to see what a cruise ship

has to offer and they will all be cruisen again they loved it.

The price was right we booked a interior for $59. then got a free upgrade

to a balcony and the rest of the clan all got upgrades as well some to a

mini. Iguess we were lucky at canada place a mere 10 min wait. Yes we would take another 1 nighter it was great fun.:D

If I lived in the port city and the price was right then I might well do it just for the getaway. Hard to say and, since I don't live in a port city, it's a moot point for me.

In September 2007 we did a 1 day Seattle to Vancouver, spent the night in Vancouver then a repositioning Panama Canal cruise. The only problem we discovered was there is no help when off loading your luggage at the end of the 1 day...not a problem if you only do the 1 day, but we packed for a 21 day trip. It was a real struggle getting all our luggage off...fortunately we traveled with another couple so were able to do shifts of watching piles of luggage on the ship and the shore while one of us hauled the suitcases...thank God for wheeled suitcases! We would not do a 1 night again even if it was just for transportation for a longer cruise.

Rex

I'd do it in a heartbeat even though I prefer mongrel cruises. I even enjoy doing a BVE for 3-4 hours. :)

Be careful, though. The super short cruises are not necessarily a bargain.

Me too, Pam if the price was right.:)

Archived