Would you book a 1 day cruise?

Canuckleheadd

So Princess has 1 day cruises between Vancouver and Seattle. Other than doing it to upgrade your status, why would anyone want to take a one day cruise? You get on the ship at the earliest maybe noon or 1:00 PM, and have to be off by 10:00 AM the next day.:confused:

Some people who cruise Alaska like to spend time in both cities pre and post cruise. A coworker recently cruised out of Seattle and then spent 4 days in Vancouver post cruise. Had there been a 1 day sailing following her 7 day cruise she'd have jumped on it. Instead she got off the ship in Seattle and then took a shuttle to Vancouver.

Maybe for a different experience, instead of flying, do a one-way cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver. Or back - we live in SF. We took a train once, it was interesting.

Editing: only this will be a 2-day cruise. 1-day... too much to bother about for such a short time.

I have done a couple of one nighters Seattle to Vancouver etc.

Some of the reasons quoted by people onboard - able to get away from the kids for a night - one company used it as an opportunity for their scattered workforce to get together and socialize - as a way for people to see what a cruise ship is like - a way to party without worrying about drinking and driving - I am seen more booze consumed on the one nighters than some of the 7 days total.

A fun way to see the lights of the Islands and Cities that make up the Salish Sea.

Cheers

Dennis

I'm doing it in the fall. Seattle to Vancouver (and then Vancouver to Los Angeles with a day in Vancouver). Why not, especially if you are in the neighborhood? The price is good, except for the government taxes.

Hey Guys

I guess its just like staying in a hotel or resort for a night as a quick getaway. I've done quite a few 2 night cruises with Princess and although they're always way to short its a good way to feed my cruising addiction without using up my annual leave and moving me higher up the Captain's Circle ladder :P I'll definitely be doing more of them!

Cheers

Steve

I did one a couple of years ago from Vancouver to Seattle, and we spent an hour and a half in line at Canada place to board the ship, and we had one of the shorter waits. With four ships in port that day (3 at Canada Place, another one at Ballantyne Pier) the waits to get through security and customs were horrendous, with some people waiting as much as four hours. Based on that, I'd be unlikely to do one out of there again. Seattle to Vancouver I might consider, but only if I was getting on another ship the next day (the only reason they even do 1-day cruises to Seattle is because of the PVSA, so you can't B2B on a 1-day.)

I've got one booked in my next set of cruises. We are doing a 7 day Wine Country coastal LA to Vancouver, then the 1 day Vancouver to Seattle, then a 7 day Alaska R/T Seattle. I booked them as 3 separate cruises so I get a cruise credit for each segment then in a suite so we get double credits. 6 credits total. Got to use FCC for each 7 day segment , also shareholder OBC for each segment.

They seem expensive to me. If you factor in the cost for a longer cruise per night and then the shorter one, the shorter one always looks more expensive.

We live in a port that has very few short cruises... and the only cruise line doing them is Carnival. I'd have to be desperate for that.

I'll fly to where I want to take my cruise from and take a longer cruise to make the airfare worth it.

We have a one night and two night cruises booked this September. We recently discovered we loved sailing the West Coast. So we will board one ship in Seattle, a city we love and will fly in early. We will disembark the next day in Vancouver and board a different ship then two days later disembark in San Francisco another city we love and will spend some time there. We get to sail on two ships we have never sailed on before. If we like the experience we will likely do it again.

I've got one booked in my next set of cruises. We are doing a 7 day Wine Country coastal LA to Vancouver, then the 1 day Vancouver to Seattle, then a 7 day Alaska R/T Seattle. I booked them as 3 separate cruises so I get a cruise credit for each segment then in a suite so we get double credits. 6 credits total. Got to use FCC for each 7 day segment , also shareholder OBC for each segment.

If this is all on the same ship it is in violation of PVSA.

I've done a 1 and then a 2 day cruise, although I don't think I'd do it again. But combined with a night's stay in Vancouver, it made for a nice short getaway to clear my head from work for a few days. The free laundry on the next cruise I took certainly made me happier too :).

One thing I found was that on the 1 night cruise, the dining room menu was very definitely a reduced option menu. Couple that with some real long lines to get in, and I ended up eating in the buffet. Then again, that turned into a pleasant surprise. Besides the buffet being absolutely empty, while I was enjoying my desert, I was watching us sail through the San Juan islands right around sunset. Absolutely stunningly beautiful, and probably worth the trip right there, although I'd say most of the ship was oblivious to it.

On the two night, it was amusing to watch how fast they'd go through bottles of Don Julio in the platinum lounge that first evening for the El Mejor margarita's. That place was packed, with a long line for the snacks, and everyone jostling for a spot to sit, I ended up sitting at the bar, and was just amazed at how fast they were working on drinks and still falling behind.

I don't see an overnight in Vancouver :confused:

It's all on the same ship and Princess let me book it that way. There isn't an overnight in Vancouver. It's 7 days coastal to Vancouver Sat to Sat, then 1 day Vancouver to Seattle Sat to Sun, Then Alaska R/T from Seattle Sun to Sun. If it was illegal would Princess let you book it?:confused:. Just so I know exactly what is PVSA so when I call them I can pretend like I know what I'm talking about.

But I booked directly with Princess and the agent didn't say a word to me, or should I just not say anything and let them have to make it up to me because they messed up.

Archived