Turkey - Travel Caution is needed

PaulMCO

The events in Turkey are very disturbing since Taksim square is in the heart of Istanbul city - cruisers should keep abreast of the news and demonstrations.

State Department - has issued a warning to travelers.

http://turkey.usembassy.gov/sm_053113.html

Since Oceania does use hotels around near the square (Ritz Carlton in particular), you may wish to consider other hotels.

...we need to exercise a much higher level of caution. The events in Boston, Sweden, London, Cairo, Athens, etc... the world is getting to be a bit on edge, to say the least.

Politically, I'm glad the secular Turks are at least speaking out about the extremism in their current Islamist Prime Minister's over reach. Of course violence solves nothing, but I would hope Turkey never goes the way of Egypt and their Muslim Brotherhood!

That's the nice part of being on the ship. If it's bad the ship will no go there and if it does you do not have to get off.

True but our cruise ends in Istanbul and of course the next leg starts there.

Oceania has many cruises that ends or starts in this most beautiful city.

I have a cruise RT Istanbul in August (with a stay there pre and post cruise) and I am not concerned

We are planning a trip to Egypt for February after getting a small taste of Egypt on our recent cruise.

Today someone shoved a passenger into the subway tracks in NY.

And then there's Boston.

OK - I'll avoid Afghanistan and Iraq and Syria.

Other than that, I am not staying home.

I generally avoid countries that end in stan.

There were protests in Taksim Square a couple years ago when I stayed at the RC for 4 nights. I daily walked from the RC through Gezi Park to Taksim Square and its surroundings.

There were protests in Melbourne when I was there a couple years ago.

I live in DC area and we have lots of protests, and probably more homicides than any of those cities. Go figure. I still go downtown quite often.

Travel is an adventure.

I generally avoid countries that end in stan.

There were protests in Taksim Square a couple years ago when I stayed at the RC for 4 nights. I daily walked from the RC through Gezi Park to Taksim Square and its surroundings.

There were protests in Melbourne when I was there a couple years ago.

I live in DC area and we have lots of protests, and probably more homicides than any of those cities. Go figure. I still go downtown quite often.

Travel is an adventure.

LOL

I hear Kyrgyzstan is interesting

I think Chicago has you beat on homicides

LOL

I hear Kyrgyzstan is interesting

I think Chicago has you beat on homicides

True. Born and raised in Chicago, left after being shot at twice in the 1970's. Heard shots fired in the Gaza strip in 2000 and didnt think another thing about it. :)

As one who was in Berlin when the wall fell, was in Tienanmen square during the student protests, in Czech and Romania during the fall of Communism, and was in Bahrain when the Saudi tanks rolled into the Pearl Square 2 years ago - I have a nickname of "Mr. Disaster."

So I can safely say that I had nothing to do the last few weeks in Istanbul. :)

As one who was in Berlin when the wall fell, was in Tienanmen square during the student protests, in Czech and Romania during the fall of Communism, and was in Bahrain when the Saudi tanks rolled into the Pearl Square 2 years ago - I have a nickname of "Mr. Disaster."

Do O really want to cruise with you?

Thinking about volcanoes in Iceland LOLOL

25 people shot in 48 hours over the weekend in NYC

I'd rather be in Istanbul (and I'm a native New Yorker)

We just returned from Istanbul on May 27. Security was very tight at our hotel (Ritz Carlton) and at the airport. Can't imagine what it is like a week later.

We visited the Dolmabache Palace last Sunday. The protesters are clashing with the riot police in this area also. Glad to be out of Istanbul.

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan accused anti-government protesters on Monday of walking "arm-in-arm with terrorism", remarks that could further inflame public anger after three days of some of the most violent riots in decades.

Hundreds of police and protesters have been injured since Friday, when a demonstration to halt construction in a park in an Istanbul square grew into mass protests against a heavy-handed crackdown and what opponents call Erdogan's authoritarianism.

Protests have been held in dozens of cities.

The demonstrations showed no sign of abating on Monday with protesters gathering again in Taksim Square.

Barricades of rubble hindered traffic alongside the Bosphorus waterway and blocked entry into the area.

But as your DW I am really not sure where in the world Paul M really is so you might have something to do with this current uprising:p

The Rolling Stones hit that goes something like this comes to mind: "...Please allow me to introduce myself...."

I beleive some people may be canceling cruises that start or end in Instanbul. I say this because of upgrade offers some people have received involving cruises that start or end in Instanbul. I may be reading too much into the offers but it seems like a lot of those cruises all of a sudden are having openings. Could also just be a coincident.

Azamara Journey, a Royal Caribbean cruise ship, ended and started a cruise on Monday in Istanbul, and "did not encounter any issues due to the protests," according to spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez.

Norwegian Cruise Line has a ship making a stop in Istanbul next week and has not changed its itinerary but said it was monitoring the situation.

—AP writer Beth Harpaz in New York

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/safety-for-tourists-in-turkey-2013-6#ixzz2VWxhZ2Mr

I beleive some people may be canceling cruises that start or end in Instanbul. I say this because of upgrade offers some people have received involving cruises that start or end in Instanbul. I may be reading too much into the offers but it seems like a lot of those cruises all of a sudden are having openings. Could also just be a coincident.

Probably a coincidence. We received several offers to extend our cruise a month ago from Istanbul with a significant discount. Guess they are just not selling well.

ISTANBUL Published: June 11, 2013

— A large force of riot police officers entered Taksim Square early Tuesday, almost immediately firing tear gas grenades and using water cannons to disperse demonstrators who have been occupying the square for more than a week.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/12/world/europe/disputed-square-in-istanbul-turkey.html?partner=MYWAY&ei=5065&_r=0

Dont think I would want to get on or off a cruise there if this unrest is still active at the time. I still think the cruise lines may be having cancellations and are scrambling to fill those itineraries with significant upgrades to the cruises beginning or ending or calling on Instanbul.

Archived