misplaced passport?

ktravel

I have been asking my DH to make sure his passport needed to be renewed or not. His is ok

So I go to the spot to get my passport out and check and it is not there.

I have cleaned every drawer, suitcase, tote and purse out. No where to be found.

I am going to check everything one more time.

My question is I wonder how long to get a new passport and do I have to start with new process? Go to post office and give all information birth certificate, etc.

What is cost now? I do not like to wait till last minute to do things. Knowing my luck I will find it after I get a new one and pay out$$$

From State Department Site:

Report Your Valid Passport Lost or Stolen By Phone:

Contact us toll free: 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793)

Operators are available 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., ET, Monday-Friday, excluding Federal holidays

Report Your Valid Passport As Lost or Stolen Using Form DS-64:

Complete, sign and submit Form DS-64: Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport to:

U.S. Department of State

Passport Services

Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section

1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500

Washington, DC 20036

If you find another person's lost U.S. passport, please mail it in a sturdy envelope to the address above.

TO REPLACE YOUR LOST OR STOLEN U.S. PASSPORT

To replace your lost or stolen U.S. passport, submit the following forms in person at a Passport Agency or Acceptance Facility:

Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport, and

Form DS-64: Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport

IMPORTANT NOTES

Passports reported lost or stolen by telephone or by submitting Form DS-64 are invalidated and can no longer be used for travel.

The information you provide on Form DS-64: Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport will be entered in our Consular Lost/Stolen Passport System.

If you recover the passport after you have reported it lost or stolen, please submit it to the address listed above. When you submit it, if requested - we will cancel it and return it to you. If not requested, it will be destroyed.

Once a passport is reported lost or stolen, it cannot be re-validated.

TO REPORT THE NON-RECEIPT OF A PASSPORT AFTER MAILING

If the Online Passport Status System or the National Passport Information Center has indicated that your newly issued passport has been mailed out, but you have not received it after ten business days, you should contact the National Passport Information Center to report the non-receipt of the passport. If you do not report the non-receipt of your passport within 90 days from the date the passport was issued, you will be required to reapply and pay all applicable fees.

from state department site:

Report your valid passport lost or stolen by phone:

Contact us toll free: 1-877-487-2778 (tty 1-888-874-7793)

operators are available 8 a.m. To 10 p.m., et, monday-friday, excluding federal holidays

report your valid passport as lost or stolen using form ds-64:

Complete, sign and submit form ds-64: Statement regarding a lost or stolen passport to:

U.s. Department of state

passport services

consular lost/stolen passport section

1111 19th street, nw, suite 500

washington, dc 20036

if you find another person's lost u.s. Passport, please mail it in a sturdy envelope to the address above.

To replace your lost or stolen u.s. Passport

to replace your lost or stolen u.s. Passport, submit the following forms in person at a passport agency or acceptance facility:

Form ds-11: Application for a u.s. Passport, and

form ds-64: Statement regarding a lost or stolen passport

important notes

passports reported lost or stolen by telephone or by submitting form ds-64 are invalidated and can no longer be used for travel.

The information you provide on form ds-64: Statement regarding a lost or stolen passport will be entered in our consular lost/stolen passport system.

If you recover the passport after you have reported it lost or stolen, please submit it to the address listed above. When you submit it, if requested - we will cancel it and return it to you. If not requested, it will be destroyed.

Once a passport is reported lost or stolen, it cannot be re-validated.

To report the non-receipt of a passport after mailing

if the online passport status system or the national passport information center has indicated that your newly issued passport has been mailed out, but you have not received it after ten business days, you should contact the national passport information center to report the non-receipt of the passport. If you do not report the non-receipt of your passport within 90 days from the date the passport was issued, you will be required to reapply and pay all applicable fees.

thank you

I was in my local post office last week and heard one of the USPS employees tell a couple who had come in for passports that they were accepting appointments for June 28th! I have used this particular post office for many years (and used it to get passports) and this is the first time I had ever heard anything about having to get an appointment to apply for a passport. I'm hoping that other post offices in our city do not have this requirement or that the wait times are not so long. (I would have probably had a fit if I were coming in to apply for a passport and was told I had to wait a month to simply apply. Add on another 4 weeks for the passport to reach me and I'd be really mad!)

Anyway, the point of the story is that you may want to call your own post office before you head over there to apply for your new passport to replace the one that was lost.

If you are a US citizen and traveling a closed loop cruise form a US port you dont need a passport

Please re-read OP's post...Oh I don't know-Something about REPLACING a passport?:D

$125 to state dept. $25 to USPS

It's $150 now? I paid $134 or $131 for mine. Still high, but good grief. Everything is slowing creeping up in prices.

I was in my local post office last week and heard one of the USPS employees tell a couple who had come in for passports that they were accepting appointments for June 28th! I have used this particular post office for many years (and used it to get passports) and this is the first time I had ever heard anything about having to get an appointment to apply for a passport. I'm hoping that other post offices in our city do not have this requirement or that the wait times are not so long. (I would have probably had a fit if I were coming in to apply for a passport and was told I had to wait a month to simply apply. Add on another 4 weeks for the passport to reach me and I'd be really mad!)

Anyway, the point of the story is that you may want to call your own post office before you head over there to apply for your new passport to replace the one that was lost.

It really depends on where you go. Some PO only do them by appointment and others you can walk in during the hours they are doing them. That couple obviously didn't research before they went traipsing up there. Or may be they were in the area and thought they'd give it a shot? Who knows? But thanks for sharing this information because not everyone is aware of this.

Please re-read OP's post...Oh I don't know-Something about REPLACING a passport?:D

The person you quoted was pointing out that there may be an alternative that is available. I have always found that alternatives are helpful to keep in mind in case Plan A goes south. The OP may have the time to get the passport replaced prior to sailing but someone else in the same situation who is following this thread or who has found the thread on a search may not have the time and having the reminder could help them. One never knows who will benefit from a thread discussion.:)

I have been asking my DH to make sure his passport needed to be renewed or not. His is ok

I have cleaned every drawer, suitcase, tote and purse out. No where to be found.

My question is I wonder how long to get a new passport and do I have to start with new process? Go to post office and give all information birth certificate, etc.

What is cost now? I do not like to wait till last minute to do things. Knowing my luck I will find it after I get a new one and pay out$$$

Your Senator or Congressperson may be able to help quicken the process, you still have to pay the fee, but in an emergency I have seen them walk the applications through the process for people. (I used to be a TA and we had to do this before in emergencies)

We had that issue when we went to apply for ours a couple months ago. I went online and picked the PO that said they did it on Saturdays. Other offices in the area said they did it by appointment. This one did not. We showed up only to find we did need to book an appointment and they were 3 weeks out. Very frustrating.

You can go online to find which offices do appointments, and sometimes find other locations (like a study abroad office on a college campus). Expediting the passport isn't cheap, but it's better than not having it in hand when you need to leave!

Online does not always say if they take appointments when they require them....learned this one the hard way.

It's $150 now? I paid $134 or $131 for mine. Still high' date=' but good grief. Everything is slowing creeping up in prices.

[/quote']

It was $110+25. Sorry for misinformation. I was almost a sleep when I posted last night :D

• 3 months later...

Quoted from above - "If the Online Passport Status System or the National Passport Information Center has indicated that your newly issued passport has been * mailed * out, but you have not received it after ten business days, you should contact...." What does "mailed" mean? I used a third party passport company to replace my lost passport. Travel.State.Gov, the Application Status page now tells me:

"Thank you for submitting your application for a U.S. passport book! It is currently being processed.

Your passport application locator number is #########.

Please verify pick-up date and time from your Will-Call receipt. Your passport will be ready at that time."

I requested expedited service from the third party passport company. Will my passport be sent USPS Priority, UPS, FedEx, USPS Express, ....? How many days once "mailed"?

The passport company just tells me that I will have it in hand - "middle of next week". That would be Sep 25.

My passport wasn't misplaced but expiring this year. So I went on line, filled out the forms, printed them, went to the local post office and got my picture taken for $15 (terrible picture by the way! ) Then mailed the whole bundle off and received my new passport within three weeks! Got it yesterday!

Archived