Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Now we're talking! As compared to the webcam image, we get to be up close to some Quantum blocks!

BZDdVk4CMAAyO0G.jpg

Photo courtesy of Royal Caribbean PR on Twitter.

Maybe they're making up for the long shot from the webcam.

With the Norwegian Getaway leaving MW tonight, I can't wait to see what Monday's webcam update will be, i.e., a second camera on the Quantum of the Seas?

Edit: Just found out that the Allure February 23rd cruise, which follows mine, has been cancelled for repairs on one of her propulsion motors. That's too close for comfort.

Edited by Tough as Leather

Maybe they're making up for the long shot from the webcam.

With the Norwegian Getaway leaving MW tonight, I can't wait to see what Monday's webcam update will be, i.e., a second camera on the Quantum of the Seas?

Edit: Just found out that the Allure February 23rd cruise, which follows mine, has been cancelled for repairs on one of her propulsion motors. That's too close for comfort.

Hopefully the update of the webcam on this coming Monday is much better than the last one.

Where is Allure going for repairs? Hope you guys are unaffected. Good luck!

Hopefully the update of the webcam on this coming Monday is much better than the last one.

Where is Allure going for repairs? Hope you guys are unaffected. Good luck!

The repairs will take place at Grand Bahamas Shipyard, in Freeport, Bahamas, the week of February 24, 2014. We'll be on the February 16-23 cruise.

The repairs will take place at Grand Bahamas Shipyard, in Freeport, Bahamas, the week of February 24, 2014. We'll be on the February 16-23 cruise.

Wow, that was close. I know you have been looking forward to going and I'm sure it will be a great cruise for all of you.

If I remember correctly from the Canada Discovery Channel documentary that just aired on her sister ship, Breakaway, it'll be sea trials and finishing her off. Ta ta, Getaway! Nice knowin' ya! I guess if it wasn't for you, we'd have less photos of Quantum blocks next to you. :D

Edit: Just checked MW webcam page. They removed Getaway's image. Still using November 11 image for Quantum of the Seas. Oh, well.

Edited by Lloyd555

If I remember correctly from the Canada Discovery Channel documentary that just aired on her sister ship, Breakaway, it'll be sea trials and finishing her off. Ta ta, Getaway! Nice knowin' ya! I guess if it wasn't for you, we'd have less photos of Quantum blocks next to you. :D

Edit: Just checked MW webcam page. They removed Getaway's image. Still using November 11 image for Quantum of the Seas. Oh, well.

Where/when are they building the next gen breakaway class?

Great to see the Anthem of the Seas keel being laid in front of the Quantum of the Seas.

I guess we'll be seeing a lot of blocks from both ships in both hall 5 & 6, I would think.

I wonder what's going to happen webcam-wise now!? :confused:

BZdZRoNCUAAvvqo.jpg:large

Hey! Where have we seen that block before? Seems like just yesterday ... :rolleyes:

Norwegian-Getaway_04.jpg

Well, at least they zoomed in...

MWNovember18_zpsd9d462ad.jpg

And if that is indeed a Quantum block in Hall 5, it appears as if one of the 'More to Come' venues is going to be a giant Whack-A-Mole?! :D

MWNovember18_2_zpsd64a3327.jpg

Hall 5 is the small dry dock where the Sonus research vessel is being built.

Hall 6 is where they have bizarrely laid Anthem in front of Quantum. The hall is not big enough for both to be laid in full hence why only the aft section of Quantum was built behind Getaway.

Edited by Single Cruiser

Hall 5 is the small dry dock where the Sonus research vessel is being built.

Hall 6 is where they have bizarrely laid Anthem in front of Quantum. The hall is not big enough for both to be laid in full hence why only the aft section of Quantum was built behind Getaway.

Yup. I wonder though if that is a permanent placement of the anthem keel, or just for a ceremony (that had to be today?!).

Some Quantum blocks have been spotted in hall 5 in previous webcam and tourist images.

Great to see the Anthem of the Seas keel being laid in front of the Quantum of the Seas.

I guess we'll be seeing a lot of blocks from both ships in both hall 5 & 6, I would think.

I wonder what's going to happen webcam-wise now!? :confused:

BZdZRoNCUAAvvqo.jpg:large

Anthem Keel Laying in front of Quantum! This is strange. I dont recall seeing this process before. It has to be just a ceremony and one they may have wanted to keep quiet for a while. They are planning an announcement on Thursday on which the speculation is that it will be about Anthem. This is a "more to come" moment.

With that blocking the quantum, how will they float it out? Can they take it out the back?

They have to float her out from the front. The Anthem blocks have to be a temporary process in that part of the building dock. Not sure what the max lift capacity of the cranes are but I bet they could still move those blocks with more added weight on them.

With that blocking the quantum, how will they float it out? Can they take it out the back?

No. I was just reminded that there is no big back door for the basin.

(There is a door that gives access to the dock however)

I'm thinking that the Anthem keel may have been placed there temporarily for the ceremony, but why not wait until the Quantum is floated forward? We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Yup. I wonder though if that is a permanent placement of the anthem keel, or just for a ceremony (that had to be today?!).

Some Quantum blocks have been spotted in hall 5 in previous webcam and tourist images.

Can you see what the date is on that picture's announcement? When I zoom in the image is not clear. Also looks like there is a second block behind?

Can you see what the date is on that picture's announcement? When I zoom in the image is not clear. Also looks like there is a second block behind?

Meyer Werft may have some press photos up on their site soon enough with close-ups of the sign and the date inscribed on it. Yup, there is another block behind it. All for show? To officially mark the start of the joining of blocks?! Join them in the basin, in front of the her sister ship, before they move the Quantum of the Seas? Pffft. When's <insert month here> Fool's Day in Germany?!

Edited by Lloyd555

Meyer Werft may have some press photos up on their site soon enough with close-ups of the sign and the date inscribed on it. Yup, there is another block behind it. All for show? To officially mark the start of the joining of blocks?! Join them in the basin, in front of the her sister ship, before they move the Quantum of the Seas? Pffft. When's <insert month here> Fool's Day in Germany?!

The picture is now on RC press page. Left side with twitter updates.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/

Here's a rumour then with the imminent announcement. How about Anthem is being built first and they are ahead of schedule so Quantum would not be affected.

With Getaway leaving early rather than leave a half empty dry dock until they lay all of Quantums base blocks to then float her forward they could lay all Anthems now in front. Get her done then finish Quantum?

Just a random thought of course. But it makes maximum efficiency of dry dock space now if blocks are ready! :confused:

Checked the press photo at Meyre Werft site. The date on the sign on the block is November 19th 2013.