Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

New image from twitter

[ATTACH]308857[/ATTACH]

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Now THAT's a different view of the ship.

Seeing a lot of its keel - last photo was of the azipods.

Edited by Lloyd555

And she's afloat! Might explain why they didn't update the webcam.

BktpVAhIQAEIfk6.jpg

Yea I agree!

Also - sorry for the photos I post being crap resolution, the cruise critic app reduces the quality when I upload :/

Yea I agree!

Also - sorry for the photos I post being crap resolution, the cruise critic app reduces the quality when I upload :/

I am definately doing the happy dance!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yea I agree!

No worries about the small image. I can never get them any bigger either.

When you think about it, this float is a very big milestone in the build process.

Any idea how deep the water is when the flood the dock?

Doesn't seem like it can be that deep, given that you can see the bulbous bow.

May seem like a dumb question, but how do they get the supporting blocks out from under the ship? Do they wait until she floats and then send pull them out from under her?

I have to question the headline on the RCL site. I would think that floated out would mean out of the building but it is seen that the Anthem's bay is still dry. Unless they did flood that bay as well and took them both out, I would guess that this was just a test float. Anyone know more about this?

Once all below the waterline exterior work is completed, Meyer Werft floods that portion of the dry dock. The ship is no longer supported by the blocks underneath, but can be placed back for adjustments and finish painting. This allows inspections of all welds, seals and fittings to ensure there is no leakage. The bulbous bow is still visible since the ship does not have the weight of fuel, ballast, furnishings, cabins, supplies, etc., in it yet.

I agree that the headline calling it a float out is misleading. They should consult cruise critic. ;)

Great photos. Thanks everyone for posting those!

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

I have to question the headline on the RCL site. I would think that floated out would mean out of the building but it is seen that the Anthem's bay is still dry. Unless they did flood that bay as well and took them both out, I would guess that this was just a test float. Anyone know more about this?

What site calls it a float out? URL?

Twitter says "She Floats!"

I didn't see anything on the RCI site, but maybe I'm missing something.

Interesting. In June and July will they (start) work on the 2nd part of the Anthem inside building dock 2, and then float it out in front of the Quantum on August 3rd?

By the way, will work on the first part continue while it is outside?

S697buildchart_whole_closeup_zpsf62511c6.jpg

So looking at that building chart. Blue is Quantum and the red is Anthem. But it looks like August they'll lay the keel for Norwegian Escape in front? Surely once Quantum has left you'd move the dry dock split to 2/3 down and bring Anthems blocks in up to that with Escape behind??

The way cruise ships are built at Meyer Werft is different than most other yards where the hull is normally built in a building dock, then the empty shell hull/superstructure is floated to an outfitting pier outside of the builders dock to finish the entire ship.

At Papenburg the cruise ship is, for the most part, nearly totally completed including installation of all cabins/balconies, superstructure construction, hull and superstructure painting, and all exterior open decks finished and lifeboats installed (expect NCL new builds due to the lifeboats hanging off the side of the ship instead of deck mounted).

My guess is that that portion of the builders dock in which QuantumOTS sits was flooded to conduct hull checks and soundings, and once completed they will flood the rest of the dock and float out whatever is already built of Anthem of the Seas: the Anthem build will exit, QuantumOTS will float out into the basin (temporarily), the Anthem build will re-enter to occupy the aft/back portion of the builders dock, then QuantumOTS will re-enter the builders shed forward section to be completed. A similar ballet was done for the Celebrity Silhouette and the hull blocks of Disney Fantasy.

There is still a LOT of work to do on Quantum of the Seas before she is floated out permanently, but not including what they can't install on her due to height limits of the building docks cranes. On most ships built at Papenburg the mast is installed once the ship gets pier side post-float out, and in the case of the Solstice-class, the funnels too.

But she won't finally leave the builders shed until she is nearly completed.

The remaining finishing work is done at the berth adjacent to the builders shed for about two to three weeks after float out and just prior to her conveyance, which once completed they will then normally disembark unneeded shipyard staff and proceed to sea trials in the North Sea off of Denmark and southern Norway. After a few days the ship returns to Eemshaven for final loading of interior furnishings and fully stocking the ship with supplies and perishables.

She is then officially delivered to the cruise line in a ceremony either at Eemshaven or whatever is her first port of departure for introduction cruises or her Maiden Voyage.

Edited by dmwnc1959