Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

This morning a fire broke out "Quantum of the Seas" in the cabin section of the cruise ship under construction, located in the building dock Hall 6.

Two people were wounded slightly. Staff and Visitor Center were evacuated. The fire is according to shipyard spokesman Peter Hackmann under control.

http://www.noz.de/lokales/papenburg/artikel/480600/feuer-auf-der-papenburger-meyer-werft-1

meyer_full_3.jpg

www.noz.de

I'm glad everyone is ok. I remember the Norwegian Getaway had a fire @ the shipyard too.

It is clear that fires like this can easily start. The photo posted earlier shows welding taking place in a cabin with furnishings and flammable materials stored in them. All it takes is one persistent spark hitting plastic or other flammable surfaces. The article indicated that the fire started in a cabin. Only two minor injuries were reported.

cabin3_zpsb86bc1b4.png

Eric

It is clear that fires like this can easily start. The photo posted earlier shows welding taking place in a cabin with furnishings and flammable materials stored in them. All it takes is one persistent spark hitting plastic or other flammable surfaces. The article indicated that the fire started in a cabin. Only two minor injuries were reported.

Eric

I've seen sparks flying in a few photos and videos of the ship build. I am surprised there aren't more incidents. Glad that it wasn't too serious.

New photos of the Quantum of the Seas being shown in news articles online. The hull is finally painted blue.

brand-auf-quantum-of-the-seas-in-der-meyer-werft.jpg

3iyc3846-kAiG--600x337@NWZ-Online.jpg

The fact that the Anthem was able to easily be broken into these sections makes me wonder if they designed her to leave the option open for an addition to be added in the future. After the Enchantment others were to be lengthened as well but they found the costs were not worth the benefit. I wonder if things were to change in the future if they may try to extend one of these. No matter what it's always better to have the option and not use it than to not have it and want it.

Broken into sections? The ship is being built, it wasn't broken into sections.

Hmm. Good view of that row of openings below forward cabin windows. What's up with that?

Sent from Lloyd's mobile phone

Looks completely different in some respects from pictures from a while ago when there was an opening to the deck below. It now looks like something passengers can/may be able to access.

The anthem is broken into sections, the ship in the picture is the quantum. They floated out the one section of the anthem last weekend, scroll through the pages here and you will see the pictures.

The anthem is broken into sections, the ship in the picture is the quantum. They floated out the one section of the anthem last weekend, scroll through the pages here and you will see the pictures.

I think he was referring to the fact she is being "built" in sections rather broken down into sections.

She's being built in 4 sections. A third from the centre line forward, a third from the centre line aft. The final third is split bow and stern sections when it's assembled back in the dry dock.

Ships are built in blocks. Those blocks fit together to form a whole ship. Without a conscious effort those blocks will likely not form a clean vertical slice. The fact that Anthem is able to have that clean slice from top to bottom should mean that it would be possible to once again slice her in half on that seam in the future and insert another section. This is not possible if their is no location that has a clean vertical line as that is needed to insert the extension. That is why not all ships can be extended.

Ships are built in blocks. Those blocks fit together to form a whole ship. Without a conscious effort those blocks will likely not form a clean vertical slice. The fact that Anthem is able to have that clean slice from top to bottom should mean that it would be possible to once again slice her in half on that seam in the future and insert another section. This is not possible if their is no location that has a clean vertical line as that is needed to insert the extension. That is why not all ships can be extended.

Yeah I got that. There is zero chance they stretch any of the new ships.

They have been designed like this to enable them to build part of Anthem while they are building Quantum in the same dock. While this could have been done with unevenly sized blocks, having it this way means they can cram in as much as possible. Also, you will find this will be the case on most ships, as transverse bulkheads across the breadth of the vessel are all fitted at the same points longitudinally along the length of the ship, hence you will get a clean slice inbetween these bulkheads.

I understand your thinking, but there is no logic behind them building the ships with the intent to lengthen them later on.

Lol, umm ok. See the last line in the post above you.

While lengthening a ship is feasible (Anything is really, just need the $$$$), the odds that Royal lengthens a ship are slim to none. It's not cost effective. They are not going to cut an existing ship up just to add a new section to the boat. In this case, Anthem has the blocks lined-up for ease of movement. They've had the construction plan for this boat for years. Meyer Werft knew they would have to move it, in order to float out Quantum.

If they want a lengthened Anthem they can use the same Quantum plans, have the brandy new ship be longer by plan, and call it a brand new ship and charge extra $$.

Edited by hitaway4

I've read that the fire was actually in a cabin on the Anthem not the quantum. Just thought you'd all like to know.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5874

Ok since I posted looks like it is possibly the quantum after all. Think cruise critic may have made an error??. Sorry if I've confused everyone. I've definetly confused myself haha :o

You make a Quantum-class ship any longer she'd ... <fill in the blank>. :D

June52014photo_Andreacutepost_zpsbae2d549.jpg

Its weird to see all the glass covered up. Think their painting her upper decks now?

Edited by DEIx15x8

The ship looks great. And this may be the closest view of the 'trellis' sea view spot on deck 5 that we've gotten (on the left end of the photo).

Wow she really looks great. Thanks for pointing out the trellis thing again, I did not notice it back there in the photo.