Australian SLANG words for our Overseas visitors!

This is not true:D:D:D

Ok. I need an explanation then. :).

How do you say in stralian " oh deary me I fear we are going to be thrashed by England again in the Ashes Test series.":)

Now this is true.

Except that rhyming slang is British in origin not Australian. And again isn't used where I live.

British in origin and more namely from East London!

Australian slang is alive and well but is used differently to Cockney slang, Cockney slang only pronounces part of the rhyme word its meant to mean and Australian slang says all of the rhyme so its more obvious .

ie Dog & Bone in OZ,just Dog in UK, I am a Cockney and was born into rhyming slang but some Australian slang has also become abbreviated since ww2 and belongs to Australians.

ie "Me Old Cheese" Meaning "The Cheese and Kisses" The Miss,s:D

Av a Butchers at his Barnet he must ave a syrup? bet hes well Aunty!:D

Have a look at his hair he must have a wig I bet he is bald!

No need to wear a Dicky or a Whistle just av a Bugs hop in the Kipper there,s a Rub just down the Frog,n and ya can get a few Pigs down ya Greg:D

You dont need a shirt or suit just have a wash get in the car there is a pub just down the road where you can get a few beers down you!

This is how We talk in Perth:D Do the rest of Australia talk differently?:D

Very funny thread , for the cringers, I am sure the Americans and other foreigners can detect the humorous nature of some of these posts.

I don't know about KenOath and didn't go to school with him/her/it.

Seriously Pushka, you don't know what this means, use your imagination. You have obviously spent some time ...far...away from here

British in origin and more namely from East London!

Australian slang is alive and well but is used differently to Cockney slang, Cockney slang only pronounces part of the rhyme word its meant to mean and Australian slang says all of the rhyme so its more obvious .

ie Dog & Bone in OZ,just Dog in UK, I am a Cockney and was born into rhyming slang but some Australian slang has also become abbreviated since ww2 and belongs to Australians.

ie "Me Old Cheese" Meaning "The Cheese and Kisses" The Miss,s:D

Av a Butchers at his Barnet he must ave a syrup? bet hes well Aunty!:D

Have a look at his hair he must have a wig I bet he is bald!

No need to wear a Dicky or a Whistle just av a Bugs hop in the Kipper there,s a Rub just down the Frog,n and ya can get a few Pigs down ya Greg:D

You dont need a shirt or suit just have a wash get in the car there is a pub just down the road where you can get a few beers down you!

This is how We talk in Perth:D Do the rest of Australia talk differently?:D

This is very funny, I think I understand about a quarter of these sentences. On ya Mate:)

How do you say in stralian " oh deary me I fear we are going to be thrashed by England again in the Ashes Test series.":)

How about - "Bloody hell, those bloody Pommie cricketers could slaughter us in the Ashes".

NOTE TO ALL - OF COURSE all these slang sayings are just "tongue in cheek" as most of us don't use this way of speaking but it's interesting to see what we come up with to confuse those who don't have a clue what we're saying! :D

Gae

I was in Adelaide at the footy and some guy was ranting about a Far Queue to one of the players, I didn't see any queue except when several players were grouped near the goal, so I just tried ignore him.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I would be happy to buy Terry a beer too but I am sick to death of posts which portray modern Australians as a bunch of retarded bogans.

Sue

What"s a "Bogan" aren"t they moths that migrate in September.

This is a FUN post not to be taken seriously.:D:D:D

Poor old Terry with all these "beer swilling Bogans buying him a beer he will end up "as **ssed as a nit".:D:D:D

What"s a "Bogan" aren"t they moths that migrate in September.

This is a FUN post not to be taken seriously.:DPoor old Terry with all these "beer swilling Bogans buying him a beer he will end up "as **ssed as a nit".:D

LOL.

BTW, the Bogan moths don't have red necks.:D

Bogan = Trailerpark redneck trash, sorta. But they aren't necessarily poor. Indeed, some of the highest in the land are bogans.

A redhead is known as a ranga.

If you are easily offended by non-PC language or don't have a sense of humour then prepare for a rough ride with Aussie slang/vernacular. It's not intended to be rude or offensive, it's just part of the national character not to take these things too seriously and some of them are extremely expressive and funny if you don't get uptight about it.

If you are called an "effn b*^%#¥d" it is either an insult or a term of the utmost respect and affection. The trick is working out which applies!

Sarcasm is sometimes applied very thickly, other times it is thinly veiled.:D

And sadly experts in the field gather in your fair city from all over Australia to show us their talents.

And sadly experts in the field gather in your fair city from all over Australia to show us their talents.

Yes, the Kanga cup (soccer tournament) will be upon us again soon,:D

or are you talking pollies.:rolleyes:

Edited by MicCanberra

Personally I find encouraging foreigners to think we are all still talking like Barry Crocker embarrassing.

We have moved on as a nation & most of those ocker terms are no longer used. Sheila is a rather derogatory term I find & only people who remember living through WWII say some of those old sayings like 'strike a light'.

I don't have a problem with informing them of the differences in words we actually use, like car boot instead of trunk, esky instead of cooler etc, but I certainly don't think we should be giving them the impression that the majority of Australians use a lot of the old slang on a regular basis.

I don't welcome new people with 'How ya goin cobber?' complete with strong nasal accent, so I'll stick with something more contemporary & educated, & more importantly a honest representation of how we actually speak IMO.

Just my thoughts on the subject.:)

I agree....

How about - "Bloody hell, those bloody Pommie cricketers could slaughter us in the Ashes".

NOTE TO ALL - OF COURSE all these slang sayings are just "tongue in cheek" as most of us don't use this way of speaking but it's interesting to see what we come up with to confuse those who don't have a clue what we're saying! :D

Gae

Thanks, I've been to your country twice and found it to be remarkable.

I also like the fact that you have a strong female PM