Another Dress Code Question

MaryGGG

They belong at the outdoor eating area at the Grill or at Waves only. I don't know of any CC in this area where you can or would wear flip flops or shorts to dinner inside. On the terrace yes if its a Bar B Que.

I am very aware of what thongs are in Europe.

Let me tell you I buy all my shoes from Gina of London. They are "thongs" in America for at about 800 British Pounds, I hardly think they are "flip flops". However, if this lady wants to wear "smart" what we call "thongs" on this side of the pond, I believe it is acceptable. Let us not get down in the dirt. I hate these threads that get nasty. Don't make this lady worry. I don't think she means rubber thongs!

Lighten UP. I think it was only meant to be funny....and we really don't need to know how much you pay for your "thongs" which I stopped calling thongs many years ago. I call them sandals.

I apologize for asking the question. Many of my sandals are expensive; all are dressy. I was not talking about flip flops or crocs (we live in Naples and eat out quite a bit) but the dress code I read said sandals and I did not want to think that they were talking about mine.

I am glad you asked the questions because I cannot wear closed shoe toes. We just got on the Regatta yesterday. I wore my expensive black sandals, that look sort of like flip flops but nice. No problem. If they had said anything I would have pointed out the men who wore jeans to dinner with not a word. My shoes in fact, looked a lot nicer than a lot I saw last night. My documents also said sandals so was very nervous. Now I can relax and enjoy this wonderful Alaska voyage.

I am glad you asked the questions because I cannot wear closed shoe toes. We just got on the Regatta yesterday. I wore my expensive black sandals, that look sort of like flip flops but nice. No problem. If they had said anything I would have pointed out the men who wore jeans to dinner with not a word. My shoes in fact, looked a lot nicer than a lot I saw last night. My documents also said sandals so was very nervous. Now I can relax and enjoy this wonderful Alaska voyage.

Comfort aside, it seems to me that Sandals of that type would be a mistake in Alaska, as the majority of the shore trips that we took required much more walking than I could ever do in that type of footwear.

Since Alaska is seldom pool weather until July......why bring them at all?

For goodness sakes, I am not wearing sandals off the ship. I am talking about from our stateroom to the dining room. I not only don't have any acceptable shoes except for walking but I have a foot condition that precludes the wearing of nearly all closed toe shoes. I sincerely promise 1) not to embarrass anyone in the dining room and 2) not to EVER ask a simple question on any of these boards again.

Now here's another interesting point beaniele states that men wore jeans to dinner on Regatta !!! I have been informed that jeans are not acceptable in the restaurants. BUT some 'posh' jeans ( no holes etc.) with a nice jacket and shirt can look smarter than 'slacks and polo shirt' which in my opinion are NOT suitable for MDR or POLO Grill even !!! ( GET IT??? POLO??) What does everyone think about this one.

Now here's another interesting point beaniele states that men wore jeans to dinner on Regatta !!! I have been informed that jeans are not acceptable in the restaurants. BUT some 'posh' jeans ( no holes etc.) with a nice jacket and shirt can look smarter than 'slacks and polo shirt' which in my opinion are NOT suitable for MDR or POLO Grill even !!! ( GET IT??? POLO??) What does everyone think about this one.

The problem is, who is to be the arbiter of which jeans are appropriate and which are not? I think we all have a mental image, but I bet that image differes wildly! The ONLY answer is to set a standard and follow it.

I personally have never witnessed jeans in the Grand dining room or any of the specialty restaurants on Oceania, but apparently is does happen occasionally, or it wouldn't be reported. I do recall a humorous story about one fellow awho returned late from an excursion, hurried to GDR before it closed, and suddently realized he was still wearing shorts! The dining room was not crowded, the maitre 'd did not say anything, and the fellow decided that once he sat down no one could see what he was wearing below the waist -- so he got away with it (this was a young man I met on Riviera who was fastidious in his dress, and was horrified when he realized he was still wearing his shorts :)).

The standard on Oceania is "no jeans" in the evenings in the restaurants other than the Terrace, and that should end the discussion. I have personally worn dark green denim trousers (not "jeans" unless you remember Mr. Greenjeans) to the Terrace immediately after eturning from a late excursion, but now no longer even pack any jeans. Of course, we travel with carry-ons only, and there is really no room for jeans...

I am very aware of what thongs are in Europe.

Let me tell you I buy all my shoes from Gina of London. They are "thongs" in America for at about 800 British Pounds, I hardly think they are "flip flops". However, if this lady wants to wear "smart" what we call "thongs" on this side of the pond, I believe it is acceptable. Let us not get down in the dirt. I hate these threads that get nasty. Don't make this lady worry. I don't think she means rubber thongs!

Caroldoll, I havent read the whole thread..but I wear sandals into the dining room all the time and no one has ever said a word and I consider myself well dressed..I am sure you will look lovely and well dressed whatever you wear..

Jancruz1

The problem is, who is to be the arbiter of which jeans are appropriate and which are not? I think we all have a mental image, but I bet that image differes wildly! The ONLY answer is to set a standard and follow it.

I personally have never witnessed jeans in the Grand dining room or any of the specialty restaurants on Oceania, but apparently is does happen occasionally, or it wouldn't be reported. I do recall a humorous story about one fellow awho returned late from an excursion, hurried to GDR before it closed, and suddently realized he was still wearing shorts! The dining room was not crowded, the maitre 'd did not say anything, and the fellow decided that once he sat down no one could see what he was wearing below the waist -- so he got away with it (this was a young man I met on Riviera who was fastidious in his dress, and was horrified when he realized he was still wearing his shorts :)).

The standard on Oceania is "no jeans" in the evenings in the restaurants other than the Terrace, and that should end the discussion. I have personally worn dark green denim trousers (not "jeans" unless you remember Mr. Greenjeans) to the Terrace immediately after eturning from a late excursion, but now no longer even pack any jeans. Of course, we travel with carry-ons only, and there is really no room for jeans...

Don, I have jeans in the dining room MANY times and no one ever says a word..one night we saw a gentleman (and I use the word loosley) in jeans and a T-shirt..I would have thrown him out but he stayed and ate his dinner..

Jancruz1

I have not witnessed jeans in the dining venues for dinner other than the Terrace

i have worn my jeans in the Terrace on the Norway cruise ....the ONLY cruise I packed jeans

It is up to the Maitre'd to enforce the rules on the dress code & if they do not do it no wonder people are confused

What next

sweatsuits & baggie shorts for dinner :eek:

Lyn

Comfort aside, it seems to me that Sandals of that type would be a mistake in Alaska, as the majority of the shore trips that we took required much more walking than I could ever do in that type of footwear.

Since Alaska is seldom pool weather until July......why bring them at all?

I can not wear shoes that are closed. I have to wear sandals where ever I go. I do have one pair of Keen sandals that I wore all over Amsterdam etc in the cold and rain. My feet never get cold and these sandals are made with the big toe covered with straps around the back. They are made for water etc. so that is the reason I bring sandals to Alaska and in the 11 times I have been I have never had a problem with shoes.

I am from Hawaii and only wear thongs, but FANCY and high heels, sometimes fancy and flats. NO ONE EVER KICKED ME OUT.

I thought thongs were underware? With fancy high heels and wearing only a thong I might be a sight worth seeing. ( Saw something like this in Lanagans Bistro in London some years ago....) It left a lasting impression.:rolleyes:

I posted this in the Dress Code for Men sticky in the Silversea forum last week. I guess I spoke too soon.

I really feel contentious rhetoric regarding attire belongs in the other cruise line forums. The bottom line is that the only one who has a say over what someone wears in a dining venue is its maître d'. JMHO

I posted this ...The bottom line is that the only one who has a say over what someone wears in a dining venue is its maître d'. JMHO

People are just trying to make sure that the maitre d' doesn't send them back to change. If lines consistently applied their stated policies (or just dumped them all together) there would be fewer of these threads.

I find it interesting that the official dress code can be dissected and analyzed word by word to be sure all comply while the official alcohol police is swept under the rug.

I'm very sure that if someone becomes obnoxious via their drinking, the alcohol policy will be front and center. That;s why it's there, not to harass responsible adults or raise drink profits.

I find it even more interesting that Oceania has learned it can expect guests to act like adults regarding the alcohol policy, but some will try anything to get around one of the most easily met dress codes in the industry. :rolleyes:

Don, I have jeans in the dining room MANY times and no one ever says a word..one night we saw a gentleman (and I use the word loosley) in jeans and a T-shirt..I would have thrown him out but he stayed and ate his dinner..

Jancruz1

We have seen people with jeans in the MDR. The reason they had jeans on was because the airline lost their luggage. Since they used O air and arrived that day there was no time to replace any clothes. Unfortunately, the luggage did not catch up with them for several days.

I'm very sure that if someone becomes obnoxious via their drinking, the alcohol policy will be front and center. That;s why it's there, not to harass responsible adults or raise drink profits.

I find it even more interesting that Oceania has learned it can expect guests to act like adults regarding the alcohol policy, but some will try anything to get around one of the most easily met dress codes in the industry. :rolleyes:

Interesting isn't it.

I was not thinking about the cruise line but the people who post here and like to post pictures of the rules or shoes ect. I often wonder if they just bring on three bottles of wine, not hard liquor and if they should leave there cabin with a drink they run to the reception desk to pay 25$ or maybe tip big in advance so they can get away with it.

• 5 weeks later...

To put this topic to rest, I just returned from 10 days on the Regatta. I thought people looked lovely in the main dining room and the specialty restaurants. The women, in particular, wore beautiful tops but nearly 95% or more wore dressy sandals with their outfits. No plastic or rubber sandals of any kind or flip flops but quite lovely sandals. I saw maybe 3-5 pair of pumps. Use your judgment and leave the "pool stuff" behind and you will be fine and comfortable.

To put this topic to rest, I just returned from 10 days on the Regatta. I thought people looked lovely in the main dining room and the specialty restaurants. The women, in particular, wore beautiful tops but nearly 95% or more wore dressy sandals with their outfits. No plastic or rubber sandals of any kind or flip flops but quite lovely sandals. I saw maybe 3-5 pair of pumps. Use your judgment and leave the "pool stuff" behind and you will be fine and comfortable.

Thank-you for getting this back on topic and for putting an end to it. And a useful end it is - your update is just the kind of first-hand, non-judgmental, actual, practical, info we can use.

Archived