Viking Cruises: Update on Central Europe Flood Impact

Viking Cruises

I said (above) that I would report on any Viking offer of recompense. They have now offered a 50% of paid fare discount on any further cruise booked before end of 2015. :(

I am not happy with this. I am not at all sure I want to go with Viking again, and want a cash rebate. If they can afford to sponsor so much ITV "drama", they can afford something better than "buy one, and if it is not good, get second at half price".

David you seem to be the only cruiser posting about problems on the Elbe. I will bet future cruisers aren't even thinking on looking here on CC about Elbe cruises since there is nothing on the news about problems so thank you for posting your story here as a heads up.

I LOVE your suggestion for a new ad slogan for Viking...straight and to the point!

I hope you continue discussions with Viking to arrive at a better resolution for your dissatisfaction. Keep us posted.

Dear DavidF1940,

After following your posts during your time on the Elegant Elbe trip, we are so disappointed to learn that you are unhappy with our attempt to make amends for this challenging situation. At one time you posted that the alternative travel arrangements, dining, lodging, and excursions to destinations on the original itinerary (where possible) and substituted places of interest were “an excellent solution to a very difficult situation.” We were happy when you said that the Kempinski hotel stay both delighted and impressed you and we remain appreciative of your kind words about the cheerful and helpful service provided by your Viking crew.

David, we hope you will contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com so that we can discuss your trip in further detail and get a better of understanding of your experience, both the highs and the lows. We hope you will choose to travel with us again so that you can experience a river cruise with us under more favorable conditions and as it was designed to be. And we hope to hear from you soon.

Very best,

Viking Cruises

I said (above) that I would report on any Viking offer of recompense. They have now offered a 50% of paid fare discount on any further cruise booked before end of 2015. :(

I am not happy with this. I am not at all sure I want to go with Viking again, and want a cash rebate. If they can afford to sponsor so much ITV "drama", they can afford something better than "buy one, and if it is not good, get second at half price".

Salad Muncher,

I thought I would try and find where the Swiss Ruby currently was located using the Marine Traffic website. Good news is that it is currently in Dresden... but.. and I think this is a big but.., it has been there since the 25th of June and has not moved from there since then (if I am reading the site correctly)!! You can see it's location history at:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/datasheet.aspx?datasource=ITINERARIES&MMSI=269057146

I expect David's reports are more accurate than anything any TA will give you at the moment!

Hi everyone, just arrived back from our Berlin / Prague cruise and the good news is the whole trip went ahead as per the stated sailing itineary, with no problems! The Elbe, although looking a bit 'full' seems to be flowing well, with little problems. We did see signs of debris which had been washed up, but this was mainly branches and grasses trapped around chains and moorings and therefore no problem whatsoever. The Swiss Ruby was a fantastic ship and I can highly recommend her. As we left this morning she was waiting for her next group and was going to sail Berlin to the Keil Canal in Hamburg. Hopefully everything can now get back to normal and all trips can be enjoyed without worry.

Hi everyone, just arrived back from our Berlin / Prague cruise and the good news is the whole trip went ahead as per the stated sailing itineary, with no problems! The Elbe, although looking a bit 'full' seems to be flowing well, with little problems. We did see signs of debris which had been washed up, but this was mainly branches and grasses trapped around chains and moorings and therefore no problem whatsoever. The Swiss Ruby was a fantastic ship and I can highly recommend her. As we left this morning she was waiting for her next group and was going to sail Berlin to the Keil Canal in Hamburg. Hopefully everything can now get back to normal and all trips can be enjoyed without worry.

thanks for a good news post at long last...woo hoo:D

I also copied and pasted your post on the thread I started called 'Wanted: LIVE posts from any company any river' since others who are NOT on Viking may wish to read your review :)

Edited by remydiva
added to post

• 5 months later...

This thread is now a bit of history, and I don't know if any of you are still linked into it. However, I thought I should complete the story about our Elbe-non-cruise cruise.

As I left it, I had been offered a 50% rebate of my fare against any other Viking cruise before end of 2015, and that I was seeking a cash rebate instead as I was not sure when I might go Viking again. Well, Viking responded saying they would consider the matter. meanwhile, wifey and I decided we would go to China in 2014; being in our 70s we were not too keen on some of the more busy trips with a handful of internal flights and yes, decided that something with a river (ie Yanste) cruise would be good. There a many trips offered which include such a 3 or 5 day cruise, but most still have a lot of internal flights (and therefore some hoursspent at airports). One trip that aught our eye was a 16-day oliday which included 10 or 11 days on the river, run by...yes...Viking. It wasn't cheap (about £4,500 per head discounted by £1,000 each for 'early booking') but with our promised rebate from Viking it seemed a good deal. We booked and Viking had us noted down for the rebate, and so we settled there and then pleased that we had been able to take Viking's offer after all. End of story?...not quite.

A week or so later we got a letter from Viking saying that, after consideration of my original letter, they were going to retain the 50% rebate offer PLUS a cash back of some £1,100 (cheque enclosed). As you can imagine, we are very content with this and wish to say that we believe that Viking has certainly done well in the end! All we need now is good sailing in China in November.

Regards to all

DavidF

Great that Viking have learned their lesson! Pity they have not forwarded their learnings to Scenic!

However, anyone that was with Scenic Tours or Evergreen Tours during the 2013 floods and were basically ignored by the company after returning home, be advised that there will be a Class Action in Australia against this company in early 2014.

For more information regarding the abysmal performance of Scenic Tours during the floods in Europe, please message me directly to find out about the Class Action to be held against them.

It does NOT matter if you have actually received the offered pittance of the $500 refund, as it will cost you nothing to be included!