Just off Splendor 5/25 - 6/2

folito

My husband and myself try to cruise annually as we find them to be the most relaxing inclusive vacations. We have cruised NCL, Princess, Carnival and Royal. I did not like most of the décor and/or layout of the Splendor. We had a OV room which was great, large and clean and the halls were nicely decorated too bad I thought the rest of the ship wasn't. The dining room food and staff was great. Here I felt Carnival improved on the food and quality. Surf and turf was a large lobster tail unlike NCL serving up a half slipper tail which was ridiculous. All lines must cut back somewhere I guess. We had anytime dining and never had to wait. We never went to the Pinnacle as we felt there was no need, the steak or service couldn't possibly be better. I did not care for the buffet. Reminded me of a cafeteria, the layout terrible, never many selections and the glass over the foods was so low you couldn't grab food. Many people including my husband got burned. There is not enough deck area by the pools so people hogging is ridiculous. People saved rows of chairs by 7 in the morning for the day. Same problem in the Morocco Lounge, people hogged chairs for the comedy shows. The comedy shows should be held in the Spectacular Theater so everyone could enjoy. Besides the comedy shows I only enjoyed listening to True Identity. No other entertainment is worth mentioning in my opinion. Live music is very limited and it is a shame this is where Carnival has cut back. Entertainment that makes you go wow and is memorable is important to me on a cruise. Most lines have great food, service and nice cabins. To compete they need to go a step further. We both simply felt like something is missing. Nothing special. Nothing beats sailing out of NY, it is lovely. I am definitely looking forward to our next cruise to be on the new Quantum.

Sorry to hear the cruise had so many misses. After our upcoming Splendor cruise we are branching out and trying the Breakaway. I think it's good to change it up because cutbacks or not, the same old thing just isn't enjoyable after a while.

We saw the Breakaway when we docked back in NY and oh my it looks gorgeous and with NCL its a guaranteed great cruise. So enjoy if you go. Don't get me wrong, I did have an alright time just nothing great or special.

My husband and myself try to cruise annually as we find them to be the most relaxing inclusive vacations. We have cruised NCL, Princess, Carnival and Royal. I did not like most of the décor and/or layout of the Splendor. We had a OV room which was great, large and clean and the halls were nicely decorated too bad I thought the rest of the ship wasn't. The dining room food and staff was great. Here I felt Carnival improved on the food and quality. Surf and turf was a large lobster tail unlike NCL serving up a half slipper tail which was ridiculous. All lines must cut back somewhere I guess. We had anytime dining and never had to wait. We never went to the Pinnacle as we felt there was no need, the steak or service couldn't possibly be better. I did not care for the buffet. Reminded me of a cafeteria, the layout terrible, never many selections and the glass over the foods was so low you couldn't grab food. Many people including my husband got burned. There is not enough deck area by the pools so people hogging is ridiculous. People saved rows of chairs by 7 in the morning for the day. Same problem in the Morocco Lounge, people hogged chairs for the comedy shows. The comedy shows should be held in the Spectacular Theater so everyone could enjoy. Besides the comedy shows I only enjoyed listening to True Identity. No other entertainment is worth mentioning in my opinion. Live music is very limited and it is a shame this is where Carnival has cut back. Entertainment that makes you go wow and is memorable is important to me on a cruise. Most lines have great food, service and nice cabins. To compete they need to go a step further. We both simply felt like something is missing. Nothing special. Nothing beats sailing out of NY, it is lovely. I am definitely looking forward to our next cruise to be on the new Quantum.

Sorry you didn't enjoy yourself. We are on the Splendor in July and coincidentally have already booked for the Quantum of the seas for 12/27/14.

Splendor is way better than breakaway NCL product is NOT better than Carnival.Breakaay you will be nickled and dimed to death.You worry about decor???

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I feel it was fair and balanced.

Oh my, the Quantum looks awesome!!!

Happy cruising! :)

we certainly do not go on a cruise just to relax. To us a cruise is the ultimate inclusive vacation. You can do it all when you want to> Relax, dine, catch a show, swim and more. A cruise offer endless possibilities for you to choose from and yes some cruises do offer it all. The price for this cruise was equal to others we had paid for I guess that is why I don't expect anything less.

I am so glad there are products for everyone. Sorry your cruise did not measure up to what you wanted.

I am getting ready to board the Splendor on Monday and appreciated your review. I have something to look forward to and to be aware of.

It was your opinion and a reflection of what you experienced.

I however don't feel the same as you do about cruise lines. I have cruised most major lines and will not cruise NCL again. For me it is a product that does not fulfill my needs. I do not like the food in the MDR and feel nickled and dimed by other venues. I enjoy RCI, Carnival and Princess and maybe one of these times I will give NCL another chance I have to admit it has been several years since I got so turned off by the cruises I left that cruise line.

We saw the Breakaway when we docked back in NY and oh my it looks gorgeous and with NCL its a guaranteed great cruise. So enjoy if you go. Don't get me wrong, I did have an alright time just nothing great or special.

Splendor will not be able to compete with the new RCL and NCL ships out of NYC. My bet is CCL will port one of their new builds there in the immediate future.

Maybe for some but not for me! I want to sail on a ship, not a floating mega mall, hotel complex. I rarely go to the mall that's less than a mile from my house!

I have no desire to cruise on the new RCL & NCL ships. I may be alone, but I don't think so.

we certainly do not go on a cruise just to relax. To us a cruise is the ultimate inclusive vacation. You can do it all when you want to> Relax, dine, catch a show, swim and more. A cruise offer endless possibilities for you to choose from and yes some cruises do offer it all. The price for this cruise was equal to others we had paid for I guess that is why I don't expect anything less.

Cruising out of NYC is generally more expensive than from other ports. That may be why this cruise was equal to the price you paid for others (out of other ports).

With that being said....you don't get what you don't pay for.

Carnival is marketed to appeal to the budget-conscious. If you "want better" you go on another line.

Thanks for the review. I'm sailing in August and can't see wait to experience it for myself. I only have RC to compare it to but I'm not going to cruise on Carnival just to compare experiences. Sorry it wasn't what you hoped for.

As far as carnival not being able to compete is IMO not true!! As for myself I live to cruise at a decent price of course! I'm not able to spend over 1000 more for a cruise going to the same places and leaving from the same port. Choices are great to have...

Cruising out of NYC is generally more expensive than from other ports. That may be why this cruise was equal to the price you paid for others (out of other ports).

With that being said....you don't get what you don't pay for.

Carnival is marketed to appeal to the budget-conscious. If you "want better" you go on another line.

Got anymore excuses for OP's experience?

Maybe for some but not for me! I want to sail on a ship, not a floating mega mall, hotel complex. I rarely go to the mall that's less than a mile from my house!

I have no desire to cruise on the new RCL & NCL ships. I may be alone, but I don't think so.

You are definitely not alone. We don't go to our mall that much and its about 1 1/2 miles from our house. And while we are looking forward to our cruise on the

Splendor, I am apprehensive about the number of passengers on it, so a larger ship is definitely not my style.

OP - thank you for posting, sorry the cruise didn't live up to your expectations. However, I do notice you never mention the number of passengers and how crowded/uncrowded it seemed, except for no wait on ATD, so you are putting me somewhat at ease.

the ship was sold out , I asked and no I don't think sailing a ship bigger than this would be good at all, I feel it may be ridiculous! The MDR was never crowded because many passengers seemed to not want to dress and headed for the buffet instead, at least on this last cruise. The chairs by the pool were ridiculous! People claimed chairs for their entire family by 8 am! It was bad. Not Carnival's fault. The food in the MDR on the Splendor was better than last year on NCL Gem actually. I'm not an advocate for NCL. Since the Dawn I feel NCL has taken away from the beauty of their ships to add room for $$$$$$. I sailed Caribbean Princess for 10 days and couldn't wait to get off that ship and my husband felt the same. Did 10 days on Royal Explorer and wish we didn't have to get off! Cost wise, if I knew how Splendor would've been before sailing on it, would've sailed on Explorer again in a heartbeat. I did not pay a cheaper price for Carnival as many here seem to think.

Archived