How's the internet on QM2 Transatlantic?

alabama ghost

We'll be westbound in August and I really need to do some internet work. I just read something about no internet on a particular cruise and I hate to face that...anyone out there with current info on the Queen Mary's internet capability westbound from Southampton to New York?

Thanks for any info,

Pam

We'll be westbound in August and I really need to do some internet work. I just read something about no internet on a particular cruise and I hate to face that...anyone out there with current info on the Queen Mary's internet capability westbound from Southampton to New York?

Thanks for any info,

Pam

The connection, both in the cabin or in the Internet center, is slow and flaky. It operates through a satellite link so you get nowhere near broadband speeds. Having said that, the Atlantic tends to have reasonably reliable satellite reception unlike some areas around Europe. I seem to remember hearing that the wifi connectivity has been improved somewhat after the last refit but I could be wrong about that. It used to help to prop the cabin door, but from what I can gather that is no longer necessary.

J

Thanks for any info,

Pam

Its a satellite, so it all depends on weather conditions. Extremely slow, costs plenty unless using your CWC entitlement. But bear with it and you will succeed.

Do what you need to off line then connect.

It's not too bad early in the morning (7:30 am) otherwise once everybody gets online especially now that you can access the internet from your cabin on ipads, etc it totally bogs down.

I agree with the others - before 8 AM or after 9PM and you'll make out.

If your need is for email access get an offline email program (e.g., Outlook, Thunderbird) so you can connect, download and disconnect and read/resopond to your email without the clock running.

You can access the Cunard.com pages for free without having to log in and start the meter running - test those first to see how bad the connection is. At it's best it's better than dialup, if you remember that, but not as good as a 3G wireless/cellular connection.

Thanks for any info,

Pam

As all the above have testified, QM2's internet is iffy and slow at best. Look, if your livelihood depends on constant high speed internet access, your staff must have already advised you not to travel by ship. If not, learn to delegate and just plan on enjoying your time on Queen Mary 2. Between now and August you have plenty of time to plan a pleasant crossing. Bon Voyage!

The Internet is intermittent on the Atlantic. As others have pointed out, it is slow. It is slower during the day and before dinner. Everyone seems to be trying to login during the early evening.

I generally accessed the Internet around 11.30pm and found the service more reliable.

It is expensive. If you can do work offline and then connect you will save money. If you buy packages it works out cheaper and if you use the Internet a lot you might score some free time. I found that to be the case.

Thanks Whitemarsh. I changed my plans btw. While it was tempting to join you lot on your amazing cruise, I stuck with QM2 but doing the Adl - Hong Kong sector. So will need to keep contact with those who aren't so much into ships!

Thanks Whitemarsh. I changed my plans btw. While it was tempting to join you lot on your amazing cruise, I stuck with QM2 but doing the Adl - Hong Kong sector. So will need to keep contact with those who aren't so much into ships!

Yeah I saw that you had changed itineraries. Adelaide to Hong Kong sounds like a great itinerary, best of both worlds as you'll cruise to Asia via the eastern side of Australia. I see that Aussieflyer is making a QM2 comeback as well. But what prompted the change?

Yeah I saw that you had changed itineraries. Adelaide to Hong Kong sounds like a great itinerary, best of both worlds as you'll cruise to Asia via the eastern side of Australia. I see that Aussieflyer is making a QM2 comeback as well. But what prompted the change?

Yes. We're travelling on the same itinerary. Almost.

Why change? Brilliant Itinerary, a great deal and visiting Shanghai and three nights in HK and flight back to Adelaide. Cruise length is the same at 23 days. For much less than the circumnavigation even through an Aussie TA.

There are many sea days in a row so Internet is a must.

Do people buy plans beforehand?

Yes. We're travelling on the same itinerary. Almost.

Why change? Brilliant Itinerary, a great deal and visiting Shanghai and three nights in HK and flight back to Adelaide. Cruise length is the same at 23 days. For much less than the circumnavigation even through an Aussie TA.

There are many sea days in a row so Internet is a must.

Do people buy plans beforehand?

No, you purchase your plan when you first log onto the internet on board. Usually you can't do this on the first day/night, as they're still finalising internet usage for those customers doing multiple sectors (as it was explained to me).

Sounds like you've done the smart thing. I enjoyed all those sea days from Shanghai to Cairns. It was like having a transatlantic during a cruise.

Thanks Whitemarsh. Re the change in itinerary, the only ports I will miss will be Darwin (Kakadu would have been great), Bali (very frequent traveller there so no loss) and Fremantle. Swap that with Kota Kinabalu, Shanghai and Hong Kong and it wasn't a difficult decision.

There are I think five sea days between Yorkeys Knob and Kota Kinabalu. And then a couple to Shanghai and then to Hong Kong. Almost a TA but expecting warm weather!

And I'll be doing your infamous snorkelling tour. Without the seasickness. :).

Yeah, Whitemarsh, Pushka tempted me with her posts and so I booked too (she can be very persuasive). DH is left at home as he is not into multiple sea days and prefers "adventure" cruising with lots of zodiac activities etc. It will be fun.

Thanks Whitemarsh. Re the change in itinerary, the only ports I will miss will be Darwin (Kakadu would have been great), Bali (very frequent traveller there so no loss) and Fremantle. Swap that with Kota Kinabalu, Shanghai and Hong Kong and it wasn't a difficult decision.

There are I think five sea days between Yorkeys Knob and Kota Kinabalu. And then a couple to Shanghai and then to Hong Kong. Almost a TA but expecting warm weather!

And I'll be doing your infamous snorkelling tour. Without the seasickness. :).

Yep, definitely the right decision. A much better itinerary. It would be great if you scored a hosted table.

I remembered that snorkelling tour when we past the Whitsundays earlier this year. Now that you're pre-warned you can take seasickness medication and you'll be fine.

Yeah, Whitemarsh, Pushka tempted me with her posts and so I booked too (she can be very persuasive). DH is left at home as he is not into multiple sea days and prefers "adventure" cruising with lots of zodiac activities etc. It will be fun.

Are you going snorkelling too? It was pretty amazing once you get out to the reef. You guys are going to have a great time. Shanghai was very interesting.

We're going to have a ball sans partners. Lots of fun and mischief. :)

Aussieflyer needed very little tempting. One email telling her what I'd done and she was booked!

You make me sound like a pushover :D I thoroughly considered the pros and cons for all of 10 minutes and then I got researching and booked :) I like to consider myself decisive (ha!)

Whitemarsh - which reef did you visit? Was it Agincourt? I have been to several before but not in the past couple of years.

I like Shanghai though it was cold and wet when we were there - and the bund was blocked off having work done for Expo. I haven't been to Kota Kinabalu though so that will be new.

Do you remember what the internet plans available were? I will need to keep in contact reasonably regularly as well.

You make me sound like a pushover :D

Do you remember what the internet plans available were? I will need to keep in contact reasonably regularly as well.

Not at all. It was just such a great trip and excellent deal you had no choice.

I think there's something in the personaliser about Internet plans, in the gift area on the top far right.

Kota Kinabalu has lovely resorts. There is one right next to an orangutan reserve so I'm thinking that will be available as a tour. Not much else but nice beaches in the resorts.

You make me sound like a pushover :D I thoroughly considered the pros and cons for all of 10 minutes and then I got researching and booked :) I like to consider myself decisive (ha!)

Whitemarsh - which reef did you visit? Was it Agincourt? I have been to several before but not in the past couple of years.

I like Shanghai though it was cold and wet when we were there - and the bund was blocked off having work done for Expo. I haven't been to Kota Kinabalu though so that will be new.

Sorry but I don't remember what the reef was called, I do remember it took about an hour to get there. The views from the catamaran as you leave QM2 docked amongst the islands and head out towards the reef are spectacular. Take your camera if you can.

The more expensive the internet plan the better the value. You end up using it all anyway, especially if you're onboard for a couple of weeks or more.

Not at all. It was just such a great trip and excellent deal you had no choice.

True - it is a great trip and a good deal. I did not need convincing :)

Kota Kinabalu has lovely resorts. There is one right next to an orangutan reserve so I'm thinking that will be available as a tour. Not much else but nice beaches in the resorts.

I am looking forward to seeing what is available here but must be patient and wait.

Thanks for the info on the internet Whitemarsh. A bit of a shock having to pay as we have 90 mins each on Celebrity. The more expensive plans have a much better cost per minute so will probably go for something fairly large.

Does anyone know if you can sign two devices onto one internet package simultaneously? It's common in hotel rooms these days to be able to use up to 3 devices while paying for one service.

Obviously since QM2 internet service is a sign on/sign off, timed service the devices would have to be used simultaneously. I'm just wondering if I can use my laptop at the same time as my wife uses her iPad and we only pay for one service while simultaneously signed in? Or am I dreaming?

Archived