Travel Document Question

Teachmath1

My family is considering a cruise this summer and I know passports are suggested but we can use a photo ID and birth certificate. What if your photo ID and birth certificate are not a 100% match. Example, your birth certificate says Joseph Smith but your ID says Joe Smith. Is that a problem? Do I need to get a new drivers license?

That is fine. You can use this documentation if your cruise starts and ends in the same USA port and you are a USA Citizen but be aware if you had to fly home and were outside the USA you would need a passport. The birth certificate cannot be a copy.

Keith

That is fine. You can use this documentation if your cruise starts and ends in the same USA port and you are a USA Citizen but be aware if you had to fly home and were outside the USA you would need a passport. The birth certificate cannot be a copy.

Keith

According to DHS it can be a copy. Here's what getyouhome.gov says:

"U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization)."

The original is preferred but a copy will work. (I will add that you should absolutely check your cruise line's requirements in this regard, some of them require more than the regulations do and you should conform to those requirements.)

According to DHS it can be a copy. Here's what getyouhome.gov says:

"U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization)."

The original is preferred but a copy will work. (I will add that you should absolutely check your cruise line's requirements in this regard, some of them require more than the regulations do and you should conform to those requirements.)

Most cruise lines require the ones with raised seal, but yes, to be sure check with cruise line.

Keith

Archived