Yellow fever vac

ree1009

Hi all. My husband and I just returned from our Valor honeymoon cruise. AFTER we booked our cruise we got a letter from Carnival that because of the stop in Barbados we had to have a Yellow Fever Vaccine or we would not be allowed to board the ship. So we found the place that does the vaccines and went and had them done. It cost over $300 for the two of us. I checked with my doctor to make sure I could have the vac and he was surprised it was required. Thought maybe it was because we went from island to island. The travel nurse was also surprised it was required.

Here is my problem...when we arrived in San Juan and checked into the cruise terminal we did not see one person with the yellow piece of paper (vaccine card) in their hands. When we checked in (there are still people that check you in here no kiosk not sure about that spelling) they did not ask for the proof of vaccine and none of the people around us were showing proof either. While it did not spoil our honeymoon, we were very upset because that is another $300 we could have had to spend on our trip.

Has this happened to anyone else? I plan to send the copy of the letter and an email asking what is going on..but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen. Thanks in advance!

I got that e-mail too. It says that for going to Barbados you only need it if you are coming from an infected area (ie Africa or parts of South America)

We’re sure you must be super excited about your upcoming cruise vacation! So, we’d like to provide you with some important information you’ll need for your cruise.

Certain countries require a yellow fever certificate of vaccination. Yellow fever is a serious disease caused by the yellow fever virus. It is found in certain parts of Africa and South America and is spread through the

bite of an infected mosquito. You can minimize your risk by taking steps to avoid mosquito bites when outdoors. It cannot be spread person to person by direct contact.

While some countries require all travelers get a yellow fever vaccination, Barbados only requires a vaccination if the traveler is from areas infected with yellow fever, areas where yellow fever transmission has occurred (endemic areas), and for travelers having transited more than 12 hours through the airport of a country with risk of yellow fever transmission. If this does not apply to you, a yellow fever vaccine is not necessary.

Therefore, we strongly suggest all guests, traveling to or from Barbados, South America, or an African country visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website at http://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/ for

yellow fever certificate information, instructions, and country-by-country requirements.

It's too bad the OP misunderstood the letter and spent the $300 on an unnecessary vacination. And the letter above doesn't say anything about being denied boarding. Maybe in the excitment of wedding planning the OP just had too many details to attend to and completely misread what was needed.

It actually did, I just posted the part about who needed the vaccine. The last paragraph was:

Please remember that proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. As much as we'd like to help you, it’s your sole responsibility to have the required documents available at all times. We are sorry to say, if you do not have the proper travel documents, you will not be allowed on board. This also means we won't be providing a refund of your cruise fare.

It actually did, I just posted the part about who needed the vaccine. The last paragraph was:

Please remember that proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. As much as we'd like to help you, it’s your sole responsibility to have the required documents available at all times. We are sorry to say, if you do not have the proper travel documents, you will not be allowed on board. This also means we won't be providing a refund of your cruise fare.

Thank you for including the rest of the doc. And no, insurance does not cover for leisure travel. Only covers you if you get yellow fever, they will pay to treat.

It's too bad the OP misunderstood the letter and spent the $300 on an unnecessary vacination. And the letter above doesn't say anything about being denied boarding. Maybe in the excitment of wedding planning the OP just had too many details to attend to and completely misread what was needed.

As you see, part of the letter was left out..it does say denied boarding without refund...would you chance your honeymoon??

I got that e-mail too. It says that for going to Barbados you only need it if you are coming from an infected area (ie Africa or parts of South America)

We’re sure you must be super excited about your upcoming cruise vacation! So, we’d like to provide you with some important information you’ll need for your cruise.

Certain countries require a yellow fever certificate of vaccination. Yellow fever is a serious disease caused by the yellow fever virus. It is found in certain parts of Africa and South America and is spread through the

bite of an infected mosquito. You can minimize your risk by taking steps to avoid mosquito bites when outdoors. It cannot be spread person to person by direct contact.

While some countries require all travelers get a yellow fever vaccination, Barbados only requires a vaccination if the traveler is from areas infected with yellow fever, areas where yellow fever transmission has occurred (endemic areas), and for travelers having transited more than 12 hours through the airport of a country with risk of yellow fever transmission. If this does not apply to you, a yellow fever vaccine is not necessary.

Therefore, we strongly suggest all guests, traveling to or from Barbados, South America, or an African country visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website at http://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/ for

yellow fever certificate information, instructions, and country-by-country requirements.

I questioned that too, with my PVP and was told if flying directly to Barbados we didnt need it..but since we were traveling island to island we did. And we had to have the yellow card to board.

See where I live? I've been here now for over sixty years!

When we were kids on the island, we had to travel with two documents:

Passport and a thin yellow Inoculation booklet

- but that was back in the early 1960s! :eek:

That health-travel protocol hasn't been around now for decades!

There is no risk of Yellow Fever here.

Worry about Dengue Fever if you must, since there is some risk of that, here on the island

although I don't think there's a "jab"/vaccine for Dengue.

It's puzzling why this strange matter pops up on these boards every so often.

Someone's got their wires crossed! :cool:

Have never heard this for people traveling in the Caribbean unless you've traveled to a remote video, deep in the forest, etc. As noted, people who travel to these types of areas off the really beaten path, and to some countries in Asia, Africa, and the Pacific, you have (recommended) to get the vaccine before you go.

My parents went to China last month and had to get a bunch of shots. Your county health dept should be an alternative location to get shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about the wasted $$ spent on your vaccine.

Bright Side?

This is your opportunity to plan a trip to S. America or Africa within the next 10 years (that's how long the vaccine lasts).

Lesson Learned?

PVP/TA/man on the street/strangers on the internet should not be trusted to know what they are talking about. If it is about tavel advisories regarding diseases/infections/outbreaks/etc visit the CDC's traveler's health website: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/

From that page just select your destination from the dropdown list and choose "go", for example: barbados

Archived