Live silver shadow alaska june 6, 2013

harbormaster

Yesterday in Juneau was one of those glorious days you can get in Alaska. Bright blue skies and 75 degrees. Just amazing. In the morning we cruised into Tracy Arm, but the ice was too heavy to get to Sawyer Glacier, so we turned around after disembarking passengers going on the catamaran. It was a beautiful trip through the fjords back to Juneau.

We arrived by 11 and docked right on the main street across from the Red Dog Saloon. Many passengers took trips to the Mendenhall Glacier, either by land, helicopter or float plane. I have been to the glacier in the past, so decided on a visit to the Iditarod Dog Summer Camp. We drove to the top of a mountain and down into the valley below to an area where the mushers bring their dogs to condition for the sled races in the winter. Some of you know that John and I have Samoyeds and have had them for more than 40 years. We judge dog shows, have shown our dogs, sledded them and have herding titles on them as well.

This was a neat opportunity for me to see real sled racing dogs, which appear much leaner, and are bred for function and ability to run. We visited with the dogs and enjoyed a sled/cart ride for a mile and a half with 10 dogs pulling each sled. We also got to visit and hold some of the puppies. The care and concern the mushers have for their dogs was evident and the dogs were healthy and happy and eager to run.

I returned to town and did some power shopping for gifts. I ate a late lunch at the famous Tracy's Crab Shack - in my opinion the best king crab anywhere. It was doing a brisk business just beside the ship at the dock. If you are in Juneau and love crab, it is a must do. It was nice to see much of the crew enjoying an afternoon off in the city.

Back on the ship, I had a drink while listening to Enrico play piano. There was no show last night, but a movie Anna Karenina was played in the theater. We left port at 11.

Today we arrived in Skagway at 7 am. Many excursions for the White Pass Railway are leaving early this morning. We are docked at the Ore Dock, a bit further out than normal here. The town council is running a shuttle bus for $2 each way into Skagway. We are in port with 2 RCCL ships and HAL's Amsterdam.

Nashville cruiser, I met your friends last evening at the table next to ours at dinner. They are enjoying themselves. Had a lovely dinner with Krakatoa last evening. He helped me drink the Dom Perignon Amex gave me. great conversation about cruising and favorite ports.

stunning sunset last evening.

Just arrived in Ketchikan a bit early. a whale was breaching alongside us on the way into the channel. Perfect 70 degrees and sunny. Wow Alaska should be seen by everyone! It certainly has welcomed us.

Off to Totem Bight State Park on the city bus.

Kathy

Your pictures and descriptions are making us consider doing the Alaska cruise again. We went in September 2009 and had rainy, cold weather the whole time. I'm so glad that the weather is cooperating for you.

Harbormaster, it seems like only yesterday that we said goodbye in Newark Airport after our Crystal mini-cruise. It was a delight to meet you. You certainly had to make a quick turnaround for this next cruise!

I'm glad you're enjoying the trip so much, and that Silversea is making this solo voyage pleasurable - I look forward to hearing about the days ahead.

Happy sailing!

Our last day at sea en route to Vancouver. Smooth sailing.

Our trivia team won trivia! Here's a photo of our fun team, the "sort ofs". Cd Kirk in front with us.

Beatles show at 6 then dinner.

Overall a wonderful trip.

Fantastic! Congrats and thanks for sharing and taking us along on your voyage. Enjoy those last remaining wonderful hours....

Thanks Wes. I am enjoying this cruise immensely and the Shadow crew are taking incredible care of me. My butler, Ari, is wonderful and kind. I would encourage any solo travelers to get onboard.

Herman the Cat, Kirk says hello. Do take this cruise, it is much more than the cities it visits.

Our team won trivia yesterday with 26 of 26 despite Kirk's tough questions. Off to try again today as we sail out of Sitka for Juneau. Having dinner with neighbors next to my cabin tonight in La Terrazza.

Hi Kathy

It's easy going solo on SS isn't it? :)

It was great meeting u and John...I'm disembarking Crystal Symphony tomorrow in Southampton.

It looks like u are having better weather than we did on the way to Halifax.:(

Enjoy the Silver Shadow.

Cheers

Jennifer

Disembarkation from the Shadow went quickly and, with just carry-on, I was off the ship at 8 am and at the airport by 9 am. My flight to Newark was on time leaving, but we arrived 2 hours late after circling and circling the airport due to bad storms. It was one nasty, bumpy long flight, but we were safe. When I deplaned, I realized my connection to the Washington DC are was cancelled. I rented a car, stayed overnight and drove early in the morning to return the car to BWI, where John picked me up. It is good to be home. During the delay, I had a chance to put a few thoughts together about the cruise. As a wrap-up, here they are:

The Shadow itself was in great condition, looking fresh and clean.

The cabins are spacious and the beds are fantastically comfortable.

Television had a good variety of channels and movies.

Bathrooms are big and come with Bulgari or Ferragamo toiletries.

My Butler, Ari, was fantastic. He was unobtrusive but there when I needed him. He served room service flawlessly. Patricia, my cabin attendant kept the room spotless and was charming.

Kirk is a fantastic Cruise Director, with tons of energy, always smiling. He ran a tight, tough trivia, but made it fun for everyone. He has a terrific voice and his performance on our final evening was a must see. He also taught a fun dance class.

The Artists of Silversea were superb, with some standout performances.

Captain Zanello did an excellent job of getting us through the ice and close up to Hubbard Glacier. He was friendly and approachable.

International Hostesses Alison and Pricilla were friendly and caring and ran fun bingo and other activities.

Head Waiter Emerson did a great job with a table every evening, reservations for La Terrazza and checking on the service we experienced.

Internet actually worked pretty well, even on my ipad in my cabin.

Not in Silversea's control, but the weather was astonishingly perfect for Alaska - 75 and sunny every port day. Best weather of 4 cruises we've done in Alaska.

Bar service and bartenders were quick, and mixed great drinks. Wines were good, especially the reds.

Crew overall gave a friendly hello everytime you passed them in the halls. A really pleasant atmosphere was evident on the ship.

Fellow passengers were interesting and approachable. There were children aboard, but they were very well behaved. There was a variety of ages aboard within the 286 passengers.

Dress code could be listed in pros or cons, depending on one's feeling on the matter. My opinion is that it is fitting for 7 night cruises in Alaska. I did not see anyone but staff in a tux, and only one woman in a true formal gown on formal optional night. I would have liked to see ties on the men that night. Women wore appropriate short dresses or dressy slacks. Informal night WAS enforced as I saw 4 men sent back to their cabins to put on a jacket. On casual night there were a few questionable slogan t-shirts, but I think the wearers were eating on the pool deck. The one thing that caused confusion was the fact that people did not realize the formal dress code has been loosened on these cruises. Many people (myself included) packed real formal wear but were and would have been uncomfortable wearing it. Better communication from Silversea (which now is taking place by the way) would have cleared up the situation and lightened the packing situation. I actually mailed the clothing home from Sitka.

Embarkation and disembarkation were a breeze, with no lines and efficient checkin.

We cleared US customs and immigration in Vancouver airport, so did not have to do it at our destination when changing planes.

Some things that could use revamping:

Most of the negative comments heard on this cruise revolved around disappointment in food.

Dinner entrees were not up to standard. Most, especially the fish, were very overcooked and tough. The entree menu just was not appealing, with lots of stir fry dishes and veal. I ordered my "always available" steak rare to achieve medium rare. All the fish was frozen, according to staff, which is amazing in Alaska. Also, the salmon was Atlantic salmon. One rockfish entree was described by the waiter as being in a lemon butter, caper sauce. It arrived in a marsala sauce on Eggplant caponata. I think the plates were extremely hot and, after plating, the food cooked an additional amount, thus making it overdone.

Food overall just was not what we had experienced before. Portions were extremely small, raspberries were not to be found, strawberries were brown. There were no green vegetables served with lunch, except salad that you made yourself in La Terrazza. You always had to order vegetables separately from your entree or you got none. What was listed as roasted root vegetables turned out to be broccoli. On the plus side, appetizers and desserts were good and I found myself making a dinner out of a number of appetizers quite often.

Some room service items such as sauces and side dishes were cold.

The coffee bar in the Observation lounge was unstaffed often in the mornings, with a cold pot of coffee sitting there. A number of us tried to work the machine. It is not rocket science, but we never got the rocket launched. I agree with a prior reviewer that SS should configure a coffee bar, internet and library combination that would be a convivial place to gather. Having coffee and staff in two opposite places in the morning is not efficient. Seabourn's Square configuration is ideal.

There was definitely a BIG push for the Diamonds International and Tanzanite shops ashore. Too much emphasis was put on this by the "Personal Shopper" who did lots of talks (not well attended) and set out displays in the hallways. The port information sheets were splashed with this sales tactic rather than with real, usable information on the cities and areas we visited. I found it very intrusive and tacky.

The "Art Expert" was not as pushy or evident as the old Park West, but was of that quality of merchandise.

The cruise consultant, Enzo, was rude and uninformed. (see related thread).

The pros definitely outnumbered the cons on this cruise.

Overall, this cruise was relaxing, fun, and had a beautiful itinerary. Service was exceptional. Itinerary usually guides us to choose a cruiseline, but Silversea is definitely in the running in the future. (Improved food would perhaps tip the scales a bit). Thanks to the crew for a wonderful trip and for making a "solo" feel like family. Krakatoa, hope you made it home safely.

Kathy

The coffee bar in the Observation lounge was unstaffed often in the mornings, with a cold pot of coffee sitting there. A number of us tried to work the machine. It is not rocket science, but we never got the rocket launched. I agree with a prior reviewer that SS should configure a coffee bar, internet and library combination that would be a convivial place to gather.

Thank you for the thoughtful review and gorgeous photos - glad to see the good weather in Alaska has continued. Also thanks for confirming that I am not the only person who has 'failed' to get the espresso machine in the Observation Lounge to produce a cup of coffee.

Duct tape, Seabourn Square is a spacious area aft on their larger ships that contains a coffee and pastry bar (and some liquors), newspapers, magazines and library, internet area and 4 concierges all in one place. It is set up with lots of chairs, both inside, and on a large terrace outside. There are recliners, regular chairs and benches. The coffee barristas are there early am to evening, serve cappucino, latte, straight coffee or whatever you order, and the pastry and small sandwiches are fresh. You can sip a coffee, read the paper, surf the internet and deal with a concierge issue in the same place. People like to meet there and watch the scenery. The shore excursion desk and shops are off to the side of the square, consolidating services in one place.

Here is a link to the deck plan on the Quest showing the Square.

http://www.seabourn.com/main/Deck-Plans-Full.action?ship=sq&deck=7

Silversea could set this up to an extent in the Observation Lounge, or with a configuration of part of the Panorama, internet and library areas.

Jennifer, nice hearing from you and hope you enjoyed your trip to Iceland.

Seafairer, hope we sail together again sometime.

Hi Kathy

So pleased to hear of your safe arrival. Plan B worked well. After leaving the ship I watched the reports of the storms on CNN in my hotel room.

I can understand you concern about your journey to Washington.

My journey was a breeze, on time. Somehow I lost Saturday over the Pacific. Good cruise, now to work on the next one.

Finlay C

• 1 month later...
Disembarkation from the Shadow went quickly and, with just carry-on, I was off the ship at 8 am and at the airport by 9 am. My flight to Newark was on time leaving, but we arrived 2 hours late after circling and circling the airport due to bad storms. It was one nasty, bumpy long flight, but we were safe. When I deplaned, I realized my connection to the Washington DC are was cancelled. I rented a car, stayed overnight and drove early in the morning to return the car to BWI, where John picked me up. It is good to be home. During the delay, I had a chance to put a few thoughts together about the cruise. As a wrap-up, here they are:

The Shadow itself was in great condition, looking fresh and clean.

The cabins are spacious and the beds are fantastically comfortable.

Television had a good variety of channels and movies.

Bathrooms are big and come with Bulgari or Ferragamo toiletries.

My Butler, Ari, was fantastic. He was unobtrusive but there when I needed him. He served room service flawlessly. Patricia, my cabin attendant kept the room spotless and was charming.

Kirk is a fantastic Cruise Director, with tons of energy, always smiling. He ran a tight, tough trivia, but made it fun for everyone. He has a terrific voice and his performance on our final evening was a must see. He also taught a fun dance class.

The Artists of Silversea were superb, with some standout performances.

Captain Zanello did an excellent job of getting us through the ice and close up to Hubbard Glacier. He was friendly and approachable.

International Hostesses Alison and Pricilla were friendly and caring and ran fun bingo and other activities.

Head Waiter Emerson did a great job with a table every evening, reservations for La Terrazza and checking on the service we experienced.

Internet actually worked pretty well, even on my ipad in my cabin.

Not in Silversea's control, but the weather was astonishingly perfect for Alaska - 75 and sunny every port day. Best weather of 4 cruises we've done in Alaska.

Bar service and bartenders were quick, and mixed great drinks. Wines were good, especially the reds.

Crew overall gave a friendly hello everytime you passed them in the halls. A really pleasant atmosphere was evident on the ship.

Fellow passengers were interesting and approachable. There were children aboard, but they were very well behaved. There was a variety of ages aboard within the 286 passengers.

Dress code could be listed in pros or cons, depending on one's feeling on the matter. My opinion is that it is fitting for 7 night cruises in Alaska. I did not see anyone but staff in a tux, and only one woman in a true formal gown on formal optional night. I would have liked to see ties on the men that night. Women wore appropriate short dresses or dressy slacks. Informal night WAS enforced as I saw 4 men sent back to their cabins to put on a jacket. On casual night there were a few questionable slogan t-shirts, but I think the wearers were eating on the pool deck. The one thing that caused confusion was the fact that people did not realize the formal dress code has been loosened on these cruises. Many people (myself included) packed real formal wear but were and would have been uncomfortable wearing it. Better communication from Silversea (which now is taking place by the way) would have cleared up the situation and lightened the packing situation. I actually mailed the clothing home from Sitka.

Embarkation and disembarkation were a breeze, with no lines and efficient checkin.

We cleared US customs and immigration in Vancouver airport, so did not have to do it at our destination when changing planes.

Some things that could use revamping:

Most of the negative comments heard on this cruise revolved around disappointment in food.

Dinner entrees were not up to standard. Most, especially the fish, were very overcooked and tough. The entree menu just was not appealing, with lots of stir fry dishes and veal. I ordered my "always available" steak rare to achieve medium rare. All the fish was frozen, according to staff, which is amazing in Alaska. Also, the salmon was Atlantic salmon. One rockfish entree was described by the waiter as being in a lemon butter, caper sauce. It arrived in a marsala sauce on Eggplant caponata. I think the plates were extremely hot and, after plating, the food cooked an additional amount, thus making it overdone.

Food overall just was not what we had experienced before. Portions were extremely small, raspberries were not to be found, strawberries were brown. There were no green vegetables served with lunch, except salad that you made yourself in La Terrazza. You always had to order vegetables separately from your entree or you got none. What was listed as roasted root vegetables turned out to be broccoli. On the plus side, appetizers and desserts were good and I found myself making a dinner out of a number of appetizers quite often.

Some room service items such as sauces and side dishes were cold.

The coffee bar in the Observation lounge was unstaffed often in the mornings, with a cold pot of coffee sitting there. A number of us tried to work the machine. It is not rocket science, but we never got the rocket launched. I agree with a prior reviewer that SS should configure a coffee bar, internet and library combination that would be a convivial place to gather. Having coffee and staff in two opposite places in the morning is not efficient. Seabourn's Square configuration is ideal.

There was definitely a BIG push for the Diamonds International and Tanzanite shops ashore. Too much emphasis was put on this by the "Personal Shopper" who did lots of talks (not well attended) and set out displays in the hallways. The port information sheets were splashed with this sales tactic rather than with real, usable information on the cities and areas we visited. I found it very intrusive and tacky.

The "Art Expert" was not as pushy or evident as the old Park West, but was of that quality of merchandise.

The cruise consultant, Enzo, was rude and uninformed. (see related thread).

The pros definitely outnumbered the cons on this cruise.

Overall, this cruise was relaxing, fun, and had a beautiful itinerary. Service was exceptional. Itinerary usually guides us to choose a cruiseline, but Silversea is definitely in the running in the future. (Improved food would perhaps tip the scales a bit). Thanks to the crew for a wonderful trip and for making a "solo" feel like family. Krakatoa, hope you made it home safely.

Kathy

. Hi Kathy, Do you recall who the executive chef was for this cruise? How about the f and b mgr? Thanks!

Love@cruise: Janine was the Executive Chef. I'm sorry, I don't remember the food and beverage manager's name. The Hotel Director was Helmut. There is a post

from dmgmd50 from February where he says he spoke with the Food and Beverage Manager. Perhaps he can help but the crew probably changed not long after he posted.

Here is the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1783794

Archived