Obtaining a Chip & Pin Credit Card - My Experience

-Lew-

Are these on-line Cap One accounts, or brick & mortar ones? Somewhere I got the idea that there are different benefits (as in more) with an on-line account vs. a standard one.

Mine is an online account. I only use it for travel. I'm pretty sure you're right in that only certain accounts have these benefits.

Mine is an online account. I only use it for travel. I'm pretty sure you're right in that only certain accounts have these benefits.

Mine is my regular primary bank account. I didn't get it for travel. About 30 years ago I opened an account at what was called Suburban Bank. A few years later they were taken over by Chevy Chase Bank. A few years ago Chevy Chase Bank was taken over by Capital One. About six months after the takeover they offered me an upgrade to the High Yield Account. Here Capital One has actual branches. More than any other bank and more ATMs which they took over from Chevy Chase Bank. I have had a safety deposit box at the same branch for years although under the different owners. My checking account number and routing number is the same as 30 years ago.

Are these on-line Cap One accounts, or brick & mortar ones? Somewhere I got the idea that there are different benefits (as in more) with an on-line account vs. a standard one.

A year or so ago, when Cap1 stopped issuing debit cards with the benefits of no foreign exchange or ATM withdrawal fees, there was some confusion about whether previously issued debit would be affected. I called Cap1 and was told that if I had applied online for my debit card, it would continue to have no fees. However, those applied for at a Cap1 office would not be fee free.

It doesn't make a lot of sense, but that was the explanation and it appears to be the case.

Lew

Lew and Hank I hear you both. Some banks are a bit to proud of their offerings for my taste. This is our first extended trip so it came to light. Don't pay fees elsewhere and don't intend to start paying to access my only if I don't have to. The fees are interesting bc apparently there are enough other options I can't see people staying with a bank if it costs them money.

Someone asked about cap1 card. We applied online, but did make sure we got a card without the fees.