Baltic sea day question

I know that it is not warm in the Baltic like in the Med. However, what is a day on the ship like on a sea day? We will be on the Eurodam which has an enclosed pool area: will we be able to put on our bathing suits and relax by the pool? I can't imagine we would be at the outside pool. Thanks to the experienced cruisers who can offer insight.

We just returned from Spitzbergen Island about 750 miles from the North Pole and temps were in the 30s F. We used both the outdoor pool and jacuzzi. No you can't lounge and sun bathe,but the water was warm and we had the pool to ourselves. Bring your bathing suit.

When are you going? I've gone swimming in the Baltic Sea in mid-may so it might be warmer than you are anticipating. Of course bring your swimsuit! You can relax in the enclosed pool area, in fact we did that on a May transatlantic crossing on Cunard and it was lovely.

Of course be prepared for rain as well, but it all depends on when you are cruising.

Since you are from Ohio you are used to the cool weather. It could be a warm day or a cool day. It really is helpful if you can say what month or even dates you are sailing the Baltic. Keith

Agree with the always wise Keith to our Ohio neighbor. Tell us more on when you are traveling, etc.

You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

Here are a few weather averages/details for these three key cities in the Baltics by looking at the 7th, 15th, 23rd days of each month from http://www.wunderground.com:

Copenhagen: High/low averages,

May, early: 61 high/47 low °F

May, mid: 63/48 °F

May, late: 65/50 °F

June, early: 67/53 °F

June, mid: 68/54 °F

June, late: 69/54 °F

July, early: 69/55 °F

July, mid: 69/54 °F

July, late: 69/54 °F

August, early: 67/53 °F

August, mid: 66/52 °F

August, late: 64/51 °F

Sept., early: 60/49 °F

Sept., mid: 58/47 °F

Sept., late: 56/45 °F

St. Petersburg:

May, early: 60 high/41 low °F

May, mid: 62/44 °F

May, late: 65/46 °F

June, early: 68/49 °F

June, mid: 70/51 °F

June, late: 72/53 °F

July, early: 72/53 °F

July, mid: 71/52 °F

July, late: 70/51 °F

August, early: 66/48 °F

August, mid: 64/46 °F

August, late: 61/45 °F

Sept., early: 55/41 °F

Sept., mid: 52/38 °F

Sept., late: 48/36 °F

Stockholm:

May, early: 60 high/44 low °F

May, mid: 62/46 °F

May, late: 63/49 °F

June, early: 66/52 °F

June, mid: 68/54 °F

June, late: 70/55 °F

July, early: 71/56 °F

July, mid: 70/55 °F

July, late: 69/54 °F

August, early: 67/52 °F

August, mid: 65/50 °F

August, late: 63/48 °F

Sept., early: 58/44 °F

Sept., mid: 54/42 °F

Sept., late: 51/40 °F

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 109,603 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I've done a lot of cold-weather cruises, and even in the most chilly temperatures, the inside pool areas have always been nice and warm. However, be warned that the inside pool areas can get crowded on cooler sea days.

The outside pool areas very much depend on the weather, which varies a lot. I've had nice sunny sea days in the Baltics, when everyone was out sunbathing and swimming. I've also had blustery cool rainy days when no one at all was outside.

However, even on the chilly and rainy days, the outdoor hot tubs can be very nice!

You really need to say when you will be cruising.

We went mid to late August and on sea days you simply could not sit outside with a jacket if not in the sunny parts of the ship. It was very cool. temp wise it may have been in the 70's, but with the ship moving along at a decent pace, the breeze and all, made it feel a lot cooler. If you like to walk the decks at night or sit out on a balcony, it WILL be cold.

We had one day when there was a lot of wind, and it really kept everyone inside.

And to answer your question, yes there were some in the pools, but they weren't heated. The hot tubs were kept busy, but how many people can you cram into 4 hot tubs. If that's your idea of fun, you will have a ball. When we like to use a hot tub, I like to, at least, stretch out my feet. Here that was almost impossible.

On decks that had chairs and lounges out for people, everyone brought them to the sunny side of the ship, to get some of the warmth of the sun. At those times it was very pleasant.

Cheers

Len

The weather is SO hard to figure! June, 2010 we "did" the Baltic - had a huge aft balcony and worried beforehand about using it! Followed advice from CC and, after boarding, quickly got 2 blankets from the pool area to use when sitting on our balcony in the cold weather!

Well, it turned out to be the beginning of the hottest summer they had in a long, long time! In St. Pete, residents were out sunbathing along the river! In Helsinki we ate ice cream at the outdoor market and complained about the sun! We never, ever wore the jackets/sweaters we had packed and used our bathing suits often even after returning from port!!

I'd say back your suits - shouldn't take up much room - and you might even enjoy the indoor pool after a long day of touring - especially on cobblestones!

Sorry for the lack of dates, wasn't thinking. June 30 to July 10, HAL Eurodam.

Super great to see that you will be departing from and returning to Copenhagen, one of my all-time most favorite cities. Hopefully you will have added time there, either before and/or after your cruise. Other good stops, including Tallinn, two days in spectacular St. Petersburg, plus one day each in Helsinki, Stockholm, Warnemunde/Berlin and doing the Kiel Canal.

From what I have posted previously, you will have decent weather, but you need to prepared to layer, if needed, and/or have things be prepared if things are a little warmer during some days. Hard to predict exactly. You have two sea days, plus that Kiel Canal sailing day.

Where are you from in Ohio and for which other items can we provide help? Tell us more!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 132,195 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474[/b

Terry, we are from outside of Toledo: Perrysburg, great small town. We(me, wife, 2 teen boys) will be in Europe for a week before the cruise, traveling on our own in Paris, Belgium, and Netherlands. We have done 20 and 24 night cruises in the Med but never to northern Europe, and are looking forward to seeing the things that you have so well documented in your photos.

Terry, we are from outside of Toledo: Perrysburg, great small town. We(me, wife, 2 teen boys) will be in Europe for a week before the cruise, traveling on our own in Paris, Belgium, and Netherlands. We have done 20 and 24 night cruises in the Med but never to northern Europe, and are looking forward to seeing the things that you have so well documented in your photos.

Yes, know Perrysburg very, very well. Both, the earlier, older town, plus the newer high-growth areas that exist in and around there today. My mother grew up in Perrysburg and graduated from the old, downtown high school in 1936, plus other of her family members lived there and nearby. PLUS, have worked with a number of public officials and media folks in that area in recent years. My mother and family were not on the rich, River Road side of the town there. Just, regular working folks! Almost like home for me!!

Glad you've got past Europe travel experiences, plus are planning some pre-trips options for Paris, Belgium, etc. Can share lots and lots of great tips and secrets for there, etc. Let me know what is of help or value to you and your family. Have lots of great visuals from those areas, including Paris, Bruges, Ghent, Brussels, etc. Visited Amsterdam way back in 1970 when in college.

Keep firing away on those good, smart questions. Happy to communicate directly if that is of help.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 109,603 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Archived