Connecting Room To Suite - Perks

You're entitled to your opinion but you must realize that situations such as the one I described in my OP presents an opportunity for RCCL to CHANGE it's policy, not make an exception. That is why I am hoping for a reply directly from RCCL and not trying to get an "exception" from the Concierge. Having 4 of us in a suite or having 2 of us in a suite with our 2 minor children in a connecting cabin will not increase the amount of people using the limited suite perks.

How about another option... Book an Aqua Suite. Seperate rooms, seperate baths. Amazing location for the Kids to see shows. BIG balcony! And, everyone is enititled to the suite perks... Problem solved.

Also ---- when I was writing my thoughts, I was not directly referencing you. I had to look up your prior post to see what you had said.

How about another option... Book an Aqua Suite. Seperate rooms, seperate baths. Amazing location for the Kids to see shows. BIG balcony! And, everyone is enititled to the suite perks... Problem solved.

Sounds like a great idea however:

1. No Aqua Suites are available and even if they were, doubtful I would want to spend that much.

2. RCCL has provided a regular balcony connected to a suite. Why would anyone want to share space with some getting suite perks while others do not?

3. A more realistic option would be to simply charge a premium for those connecting cabins (when booked together) and offer the perks for everyone. That way the guest would not have to rely on the Concierge to make an exception.

I would suggest that since RCI is moving toward modular booking for families in the next class, that they should experiment with this on their current class ships. We recently sailed with a suite and connecting cabin. Three of the people in our suite paid far less that the other family members in a connecting cabin. Our extended family was split up before dinner - one half went to the diamond lounge and the other half went to the concierge lounge. Why? The six family members (including my husband and I) were diamond members, but because two were not officially in the suite (our doors were open the whole time, so their room was an extension of the suite) they could not go to the concierge lounge. Likewise, one of the family members in the suite was not a diamond so they had to go to the concierge lounge with the other family members in the suite or by themselves. We were one large family sailing together, yet we were split apart. Same went for the ice show and other shows. We could not/would not use the "gold seats" and leave my elderly parents to fend for themselves. We paid for perks we could not, in good faith use.

If the two cabins were considered to be part of one module, this problem would be easily solved. In reality we had a three bedroom suite. RCI could "buy" a lot of good will for "free" by allowing this. In the case of the OP, Royal could sell two cabins and buy a lot of good will. Parents who can have their privacy, along with the kids right there in a connecting cabin, are more likely to book again. Common sense says that parents are not going to want to pay for suite perks if they cannot use them. Extending the perks to an attached cabin would encourage the sale of two cabins (increased $$) and in reality not really cost the line much, if anything at all. The payoff in goodwill - "priceless". (aka-win/win)

Until we cruised like this, I never realized what the big deal was about. Now I do.

Completely agree. I'm not sure whether it would be increased revenue though as they would have one less cabin to sell. The goodwill as you mentioned would be invaluable though, Maybe charging a small premium for the connecting cabin like I mentioned in an earlier post and have everyone able to share the suite perks would solve the problem.

1. No Aqua Suites are available and even if they were, doubtful I would want to spend that much.

* Does RCI offer a waiting list?

2. RCCL has provided a regular balcony connected to a suite. Why would anyone want to share space with some getting suite perks while others do not?

* Some folks bring along care givers who could use the adjoing room.

3. A more realistic option would be to simply charge a premium for those connecting cabins (when booked together) and offer the perks for everyone. That way the guest would not have to rely on the Concierge to make an exception.

* I agree! but, they would also need to limit the numbers so the CL

does not get too crowded an in the case of Cabanas, there are not

enough of them now for all the suite guest.

The suite perks may not be important to some people. I understand those perks are a major issue for your family, but others might feel differently. For example, some people just want nice rooms while finding little use for the CL or reserved seating. Another example: D+ or Pinnacle guests qualify for the CL and much of the reserved seating regardless of their cabin category. Renting a cabana may eliminate any Labadee barefoot beach issues and also adds great enjoyment to the day.

I understand that you hope the company will change their policy in response to your email. You probably should not hold your breath.

The crown lofts are large, lovely and have two baths. Would you consider one of those?

The suite perks may not be important to some people. I understand those perks are a major issue for your family, but others might feel differently. For example, some people just want nice rooms while finding little use for the CL or reserved seating. Another example: D+ or Pinnacle guests qualify for the CL and much of the reserved seating regardless of their cabin category. Renting a cabana may eliminate any Labadee barefoot beach issues and also adds great enjoyment to the day.

I understand that you hope the company will change their policy in response to your email. You probably should not hold your breath.

The crown lofts are large, lovely and have two baths. Would you consider one of those?

You are right! Since it has now been a week with no response I am not holding my breath! Now that they're older, we were hoping for our kids to have a separate (connecting) room. We have cruised in suites on RCCL in the past and after having many nice trips, we had a bad experience on our last cruise (an OS on Freedom with many issues including being dirty with ripped furniture plus a TV that was out of order for three days). We took a three year break before deciding to give RCCL another try. Hopefully this can get worked out as I am not going on a cruise where I get suite benefits but my children do not. That's silly to me. But like you said, I'm not holding my breath. :)

A similar situation would be parents who book first class airplane seats for themselves and book their children into business class or coach on the same flight.

While many would be grateful and appreciative if a flight attendant upgraded their children, they would not expect it to be done automatically as their right.

You are right! Since it has now been a week with no response I am not holding my breath! Now that they're older, we were hoping for our kids to have a separate (connecting) room. We have cruised in suites on RCCL in the past and after having many nice trips, we had a bad experience on our last cruise (an OS on Freedom with many issues including being dirty with ripped furniture plus a TV that was out of order for three days). We took a three year break before deciding to give RCCL another try. Hopefully this can get worked out as I am not going on a cruise where I get suite benefits but my children do not. That's silly to me. But like you said, I'm not holding my breath. :)

You already received your answer from RCI. (See post #49)

What you're looking for is special treatment just for you.

Now is the time to rethink your plans.

.....Hopefully this can get worked out as I am not going on a cruise where I get suite benefits but my children do not. That's silly to me. But like you said, I'm not holding my breath. :)
That is what some Celebrity passengers used to say when Celebrity introduced a new category, Aqua Class, that gets to eat breakfast and dinner in an exclusive special restaurant called Blu.

Some Celebrity passengers booked themselves into Aqua Class, but did not book Aqua Class for their children.

Then they complained bitterly because their children were not allowed in Blu.

Celebrity did not budge.

Their policy is that Blu is a special perk for Aqua Class passengers.

The only exception is that suite passengers may eat in Blu on a space-available basis.

So even if you think the policy is silly, if you go on a Celebrity cruise you need to book your children in Aqua Class, (or a suite), if you want them to get Aqua Class benefits.

That is what some Celebrity passengers used to say when Celebrity introduced a new category, Aqua Class, that gets to eat breakfast and dinner in an exclusive special restaurant called Blu.

Some Celebrity passengers booked themselves into Aqua Class, but did not book Aqua Class for their children.

Then they complained bitterly because their children were not allowed in Blu.

Celebrity did not budge.

Their policy is that Blu is a special perk for Aqua Class passengers.

The only exception is that suite passengers may eat in Blu on a space-available basis.

So even if you think the policy is silly, if you go on a Celebrity cruise you need to book your children in Aqua Class, (or a suite), if you want them to get Aqua Class benefits.

If an aqua class room has a connecting room then there should be a way for the occupants in that connecting room to share the aqua class benefits in my opinion. That just makes sense to me. I understand that if part of the group are booked in entirely separate cabins they would not share the benefits.

You already received your answer from RCI. (See post #49)

What you're looking for is special treatment just for you.

Now is the time to rethink your plans.

No I have not received an answer from RCCL. If you look at some of the previous posts you will see that exceptions are made frequently. I would like RCCL to update this policy so that me and future passengers are not left to just hoping everything will turn out right. The only way to get them to update their policy is to make them aware of it. If you read my former posts, you will see I am NOT looking for special treatment. In fact I'm trying to do just the opposite. I have even suggested that they put a extra fee on these connecting cabins so I'm not trying to get something for nothing.

But you may be right in that it is time to rethink my plans since it's now been over a week with no response.

Sorry I missed your post before. We are planning on sailing in October

No worries....the reason I ask is it may be too early for the concierge on any particular ship to answer your e mail with an October sailing. I really don't think you are going to have a problem, however I do understand your wanting to be comfortable with your choice. I hope it all works out for you.

I thought it was already a well established fact that children are allowed in the CL. At least I've seen threads recently concerning the pros and cons and other GS' experiences with children in the CL. Has RCL reversed its policy on this?

Children in the CL have not bothered me (except toddlers who are crying).

I thought it was already a well established fact that children are allowed in the CL. At least I've seen threads recently concerning the pros and cons and other GS' experiences with children in the CL. Has RCL reversed its policy on this?

Children in the CL have not bothered me (except toddlers who are crying).

Children in full suites are still allowed in the CL.

Okay, I think I understand now. Instead of having one GS with two adults and 2 children in it, he got one GS and one regular connecting cabin. Seems like splitting hairs to me sent he spent extra money for more room. Had he not gotten the extra cabin all would have been included automatically. I would think RCL would say it was fine.

Some random thoughts and comments

1) If you are in a suite, you should get suite perks.

2) If your are not in a suite, you don't get suite perks.

3) Points 1 and 2 cearly stated in all RCI material - If you think your party is an exception and you are allowed access to the Concierges Lounge... Lucky you!

4) I have written the Concierges months prior to sailing and have they have written back.

5) I think it is not realistic to think anyone one would put a policy exception in writing.

5) Not that it matters, but I think exceptions should NOT be made, but I am realisitic enough to know that there will be some made every sailing.

THAT WAS TERRIBLE WHAT YOU JUST WROTE!!!

You should be ashamed of yourself, but probably aren't!:mad::(:rolleyes:

You are correct, I am not ashamed.

We all have a right to our own opinons..

I hope you took the time to read the follow up comments with the OP and me.

Which part of NW Guy's post seemed "terrible"to you? Terrible enough to "scream" with all capitals at that?

I think NW Guy stated some facts in points 1-4. Perhaps some of those points seemed blunt, but blunt is not terrible.

Points numbered five are specified as his opinions. You may disagree with his opinions (as I do), but his opinions do not seem terrible. I personally think the concierges are supposed to behave professionally, and therefore they should be able to exercise some professional judgement on a specific cruise when dealing with a specific circumstance. So, I think there should be exceptions, just my opinion. NW Guy feels there should be no exceptions, likewise just his opinion. The OP thinks the company should change the policy, so the OP's family will not have to wait to see if an exception is made; again just the OP's opinion. All are different opinions, but none are terrible opinions.

I do not think the cruiseline is apt to change their official policy in response to the OP's email. I think it is even less likely that such a policy change will be made before the OP makes final payment for his October cruise. If the policy does change in time, I'll be happy for the OP. If not, before he make final payment, IMHO the OP should decide if guaranteed suite perks for all four are more important than the comfort of connecting cabins (with uncertainty about suite perks for the children). Or maybe the OP will decide not to make final payment at all. The OP seems smart and undoubtedly will make a reasonable decision in the end.

Archived