Bob Dickinson's back?

and RCL stock continued to slip today...

I don't know what the stock numbers will do tomorrow, the next day, week, month, etc . . . but I do know one of the last times someone started to rag on the financial performance of competitive stock here on CC . . . a few things made an interesting flip-flop that was blamed on a multitude of sudden-impact situations, including Boston & Korea.

That one eventually locked, with the final days of input vaporized. I'm certain there was quality reason.

My limited portfolio includes three cruise lines (industry specific) as well as another that's entertainment/cruise. Always interesting to see what happens daily, but I'm not going to predict where those will rank in the future . . . although I really wish I accurately could. :)

I don't know what the stock numbers will do tomorrow, the next day, week, month, etc . . . but I do know one of the last times someone started to rag on the financial performance of competitive stock here on CC . . . a few things made an interesting flip-flop that was blamed on a multitude of sudden-impact situations, including Boston & Korea.

That one eventually locked, with the final days of input vaporized. I'm certain there was quality reason.

My limited portfolio includes three cruise lines (industry specific) as well as another that's entertainment/cruise. Always interesting to see what happens daily, but I'm not going to predict where those will rank in the future . . . although I really wish I accurately could. :)

Why not hedge your bets and buy Steiner?

I hope that this does not offend anyone. It most certainly does not intend to do so.

Watching the YouTube Video on the return of Triumph into service, and seeing the three men, including Mr. Berra for the first time, who spoke during the video, these are younger men than I assumed that they were. For those of us who have been around the block more than once, they do lack the experience and cruising history that many of us enjoy.

Do they need more seasoning that, maybe, a Bob Dickinson can supply? Or maybe this is the new cruising reality that those of us who love the sea and cruising may have to decide to "deal with it" or "6 shorts and one long on the ship's horn"?

Yet, RCL stock is still higher than CCL. :D

Carnival has pretty much hit the bottom. Relationship so damaged that they need a "consultant" to right it. Will be interesting to see if Uncle Bob will do anything concrete.

I hope that this does not offend anyone. It most certainly does not intend to do so.

Watching the YouTube Video on the return of Triumph into service, and seeing the three men, including Mr. Berra for the first time, who spoke during the video, these are younger men than I assumed that they were. For those of us who have been around the block more than once, they do lack the experience and cruising history that many of us enjoy.

Do they need more seasoning that, maybe, a Bob Dickinson can supply? Or maybe this is the new cruising reality that those of us who love the sea and cruising may have to decide to "deal with it" or "6 shorts and one long on the ship's horn"?

Yea I remember 20 years ago trying to convince the old timers the company needed email. They said no way just a fad. Innovation and great management does not require old age or multiple trips around the block. Sometimes the old timers don't have a spark left just a paper trail.

I find it very telling that you posted this in response to an anti CCL poster but were silent when the Sarge took his pot shot with his post about RCI's stock slipping today.

Bill

Since the Royal stock has been mentioned, it is paying less than half the dividends that CCL is paying, yet Royal put a news release out a short time ago that their profits were up (I believe it was 63 percent).

If they are giving less back to the shareholders than CCL (with all their problems), What is Royal doing with the profits??

I know some will say I am a Carnival cheerleader, but the dollars speak for themselves and I can't figure out why Royal would be considered a good buy by those who are dissing CCL ??????

Yea I remember 20 years ago trying to convince the old timers the company needed email. They said no way just a fad. Innovation and great management does not require old age or multiple trips around the block. Sometimes the old timers don't have a spark left just a paper trail.

I have seen similar situations, and in order for a company to make significant changes, they sometimes have to remove the roadblocks. That can mean sidelining those who are not adaptable to changes into positions that are not critical to the operation.

That could be the very reason CCL has made upper level changes that many don't like.

That said, Dickinson is a figurehead who may be able to smooth the ruffled feathers of the TA's and diminish some of the negativism that is now prevailing and causing problems.

I find it very telling that you posted this in response to an anti CCL poster but were silent when the Sarge took his pot shot with his post about RCI's stock slipping today.

Bill

Not hard when one was a factual statement while the other wasn't. Not surprised by your post either.

Sent using Tapatalk on my iphone5

Yet, RCL stock is still higher than CCL. :D

Carnival has pretty much hit the bottom. Relationship so damaged that they need a "consultant" to right it. Will be interesting to see if Uncle Bob will do anything concrete.

For now. The spread continues to decrease.

Bill

What pot shot? As a shareholder of RCL stock I am not allowed to vent frustration with RCL management? Off with their heads!

Bill

I remember a time when CCL stock price was almost triple that of RCL. How time has changed. ;)

Come to think of it, maybe Carnival's stock went up today because of the news of Uncle Bob coming back in the picture?

I remember a time when CCL stock price was almost triple that of RCL. How time has changed. ;)

Come to think of it, maybe Carnival's stock went up today because of the news of Uncle Bob coming back in the picture?

I remember when one of my stocks split and the price went from $100 to $50. Can't believe the company was now worth half what it was.

Sent using Tapatalk on my iphone5

So let me see if I've got this straight. You consider it a sign of collapse to hire a "consultant" and the the stock went up as a result?

Should I avoid investing in any company that employs consultants or should invest heavily in them ? I'm so confused.

rkacruiser,

Bob Dickinson's reasoning more so than his seasoning is what I'm looking forward to; put the focus back on Fun and Value and less on false hype.

Bob Dickinson is a man you would expect to find joining a CC roll call and knowing what to do and where. Gerry Cahill is a man you would expect to see having a good time on a cruise. Bob Dickinson will come back from his cruise vacation and know where tweaks need to be made and make them. Gerry Cahill will come back from his cruise vacation, think about what he did and didn't do, then crunch some numbers and eliminate as much as he can.

You can attribute Bob's actions to experience or 'seasoning,' but I would venture to state that his reasoning and the results thereof is why Carnival became the largest cruise operator in the world. With that said, I do not find fault in Gerry Cahill's actions; he runs a tight ship literally though perhaps not in reality....

So let me see if I've got this straight. You consider it a sign of collapse to hire a "consultant" and the the stock went up as a result?

Should I avoid investing in any company that employs consultants or should invest heavily in them ? I'm so confused.

Collapse? No. But an indication that things were not going in the right direction and folks are grasping at any signs of change, "brilliant" or not. :D

Collapse? No. But an indication that things were not going in the right direction and folks are grasping at any signs of change, "brilliant" or not.

And the funny thing is, I don't personally consider Carnival's current direction wrong per se. It serves up as a budget line brilliantly. But perhaps many others don't share my opinion.

Has Cahill ever been on a cruise? Uncle Bob was on them, even went undercover as a server before that become a big thing on TV, to see how things tick.

Outside of his photo op on the Triumph, has Cahill ever been on a CCL ship?

Cahill's appearance on the Triumph reminded me of a scene from the movie Gladiator.. Right after the opening battle sequence Commudus shows up "Is the battle over? Have we already won?"

The line needs someone who would have choppered out there when the lights were out and manned a barbequ pit.

When my company brings in someone to analyze, there's usually a chopping block right outside the conference room door.
:)I read up on Uncle Bob, anyone who thinks he has been brought in to sweet talk TA's is rather naive.He will be a magnet for the disaffected back stabbers, its a very smart move will anyone guess who he reports to before the board.

Chopping blocks are a bit to public and expensive for Plc's, just sideline and let the ego commit suicide.

Cahill's appearance on the Triumph reminded me of a scene from the movie Gladiator.. Right after the opening battle sequence Commudus shows up "Is the battle over? Have we already won?"

The line needs someone who would have choppered out there when the lights were out and manned a barbequ pit.

And even carrey a "bucket" or two...that team on the made it and deserved major kudos in many areas..probably alot more than they got......well said.

:)I read up on Uncle Bob, anyone who thinks he has been brought in to sweet talk TA's is rather naive.He will be a magnet for the disaffected back stabbers, its a very smart move will anyone guess who he reports to before the board.

Chopping blocks are a bit to public and expensive for Plc's, just sideline and let the ego commit suicide.

I agree.

Cahill wouldn't be fired...at worst they will 'appoint' him to another position if bringing Dickinson back in doesn't kill his ego enough to make him walk out....although I seriously doubt anyone walks from a position like that unless there are other cruise lines chomping at the bit to have you.

(and I can't imagine any that would want him right now)

I agree.

Cahill wouldn't be fired...at worst they will 'appoint' him to another position if bringing Dickinson back in doesn't kill his ego enough to make him walk out....although I seriously doubt anyone walks from a position like that unless there are other cruise lines chomping at the bit to have you.

(and I can't imagine any that would want him right now)

Like you I would be shocked to see him fired. It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. You don't think that Cahill wouldn't be gobbled up by another cruise line?:cool:

You don't think that Cahill wouldn't be gobbled up by another cruise line?:cool:

With the year CCL has had????....I don't think so, but what do I know. What I do know is that he is probably a brilliant man but not all people are cut out for all positions. He was likely an amazing CFO....he is good, no GREAT with money but seems to lack what it takes for the daily operation of a major cruise line because he is thinking of nothing but the bottom dollar. There needs to be a balance. He does not have it.

Archived