Give up Table Reservation ?

Eboracum_d

We are going on the Ryndam this Saturday. On booking (through a TA) we were assigned early dining at a table for six. This seems to be at 5,45.pm which seems very early indeed. For preference we would like to eat at about 7.

Also we quite like sharing a table with different people rather than always being with the same table companions.

So i was tempted to give up the fixed seating reservation in favour of open seating But there are several people on here who seem to have been unhappy with that arrangement.

Advice would be welcome. Does it make any difference that we are a party of three and in a Neptune Suite?

If you do a little reading on the boards, you will see lots of differing opinion about open sitting vs traditional. That is because everyone has a situation that works best for them. None are absolutely right or wrong. It just is differing preferences.

If you want to sit at a larger table to meet others at 7pm, then your situation calls for switching to open seating. Pretty simple.

Being in a Neptune Suite will help this get done. Just talk to the Maître d when you get on board. There will be a time that first afternoon to change seating assignments.

See you Saturday - or Sunday at the meet and greet.

I think 5.45 pm is very early indeed and like you prefer 7 pm to 7.30 pm. We have always on our 8 cruises on HAL opted for open - indeed our first cruise on Rotterdam it had only just come in and was the second cruise on Rotterdam to do this. Now again we have always travelled on R or S class ships or Prinsendam and we have never had any problems with this. Granted we have not been on Ryndam but are assuming it will be much the same as the other smaller ships. We occasionally book a table in the morning if we are meeting up with friends, and on Captain's toast night it is always a good idea to book. Apart from that we generally turn up about 7.15 pm and we have had a bleeper only twice and then for only about 10 minutes. We like the option to change our time if we want to, to meet new people, and also to have a table to ourselves if we are tired. Tables for 2 have always seemed quite easy to get in open. I must say that when we arrive at the desk we are always open to any size of table up to 8. Do not like the tables for 10 as cannot hear what is being said.

Hope that helps. Have a good journey.

We prefer the flexibility of Open: go a little earlier or later some nights, ask for a table for just party when you want to eat quickly and leave, or "skip out" to the Lido/Canaletto/Pinnacle without telling anyone beforehand, or inconveniencing them by waiting for you to order.

The only way you can go to dinner at 7 P.M. is to give up your fixed dining assignment.

For fixed seating, the other after the one you have been assigned is 8 P.M.

You can speak with either the concierge or Dining Room Manager to give up the fixed assignment.

Here is the way I see it.

Fixed - same dining companions and same servers who know your preferences. This can be really nice.

Open - meet new people and choose your own time each day.

We've had and enjoyed both open and fixed, and prefer open for us. Each day we are doing something different, so we might want to eat later if we've been out on an excursion, or earlier if we have a full day planned for the next day. And, like the OP, we enjoy meeting new people.

Here is the way I see it.

Fixed - and same servers who know your preferences. This can be really nice.

With Open you can ask for and usually get the same servers, but it may not be at the same table.

We have enjoyed both types of dining. Lately, however, we have only done open seating, and enjoyed it - as others have said, more flexibility. The only time that turned out badly, we were put at a really good table for four, by a window - great view, and one other couple were put with us who complained and griped and whined the whole time! It ruined the meal. After dinner the stewards apologized to us - I guess this couple were known all over the ship! We liked best the tables for 6 - you could hear what everyone was saying and service seemed to be better. I think another time we would try asking for a table for six, but up until now we've always just said we wouldn't mind sitting with others. Enjoy your cruise. :) Ann

When you return from your cruise -- write a review and let us know how the Open Seating worked out for you.

Yes, please, tell us all about it. We will be on ms Ryndam in July (next month, yay!), and I want to know all about her!

Archived